Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

No one said he is going to be a bust.  But he has had a horrible last month if you include spring training.  What you don't want with a 1st year player is that to build upon itself- much like Moncada last year.  Put him in a position to succeed.  Had he not "got paid" it would have been beyond a doubt the right thing to do to start him in AAA and let him get hot before bringing him up.  Hopefully he gets hot on ML pitching and doesn't start the year in a month long slump.

2 minutes ago, Justinsettle said:

No one said he is going to be a bust.  But he has had a horrible last month if you include spring training.  What you don't want with a 1st year player is that to build upon itself- much like Moncada last year.  Put him in a position to succeed.  Had he not "got paid" it would have been beyond a doubt the right thing to do to start him in AAA and let him get hot before bringing him up.  Hopefully he gets hot on ML pitching and doesn't start the year in a month long slump.

Had it not been for contract details that the Sox used to save money it would have been without a doubt the right thing to do to call him up in August of last year. 

On 4/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, soxfan49 said:

Eloy has three multi hit games in his first 7 games but yeah he's really struggling. Jesus what the FUCK is wrong with some of you?

A .520 OPS is absolutely struggling. I don't doubt the pop will come in the near future, but at the moment he is definitely not doing well in his first week.

Those multi-hit games are good for a .226 average. You can't possibly look at those numbers and say, yeah this will work. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mqr said:

A .520 OPS is absolutely struggling. I don't doubt the pop will come in the near future, but at the moment he is definitely not doing well in his first week.

Those multi-hit games are good for a .226 average. You can't possibly look at those numbers and say, yeah this will work. 

I look at Eloy's .520 OPS the same way I look at Tim Anderson's 1.457 OPS.  A small sample size that will equalize over time.  It has been 8 games for both.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mqr said:

yeah wow how dare he not be Mike Trout right off the bat what a bum

Not worried at all about his bat given his prodigious talent there but this dude in LF is El Caballo 2.0.  It's too bad.  I figured he'd be passable at least until he got into his late 20s but he's already awful and he's only 22!  How a 22 year old with such incredible coordination at the plate can move so sloth like in the field is beyond me.  He just is slow as molasses laterally.

I'll be a bit worried about Eloy if this is going on in June and July. To expect anyone to thrive when they first get to the major leagues is foolish. It may even be tougher for guys with the pub Eloy gets. He just doesn't get fastballs seeing if they can hit it like lesser knowns get. He's treated as legit from the start. He'll adjust.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I look at Eloy's .520 OPS the same way I look at Tim Anderson's 1.457 OPS.  A small sample size that will equalize over time.  It has been 8 games for both.

For sure. It think it'll even out.  But trying to spin the first handful of games as good doesn't track. 

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I'll be a bit worried about Eloy if this is going on in June and July. To expect anyone to thrive when they first get to the major leagues is foolish. It may even be tougher for guys with the pub Eloy gets. He just doesn't get fastballs seeing if they can hit it like lesser knowns get. He's treated as legit from the start. He'll adjust.

I believe our clown TV announcer when he wasn’t telling some stupid pun jokes managed to give an interesting stat that Eloy has seen 45% sliders so far, the most of any hitter in the majors.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

I believe our clown TV announcer when he wasn’t telling some stupid pun jokes managed to give an interesting stat that Eloy has seen 45% sliders so far, the most of any hitter in the majors.

Stone made a corny joke early in that game and Jason gave him some guff and I still am trying to figure out if Jason was being serious or not.  I probably would have given him the benefit of the doubt if we hadn't heard Jason make every fucking corny joke in the book the last two years with zero sense of restraint.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

A certain SS on the Padres has 3 HRs already. I'd like at least one from Eloy

All you're doing is hurting yourself.  That certain shortstop is going to be real good.  I'd enjoy Eloy for the player he is and try to forget about that other guy unless you are a complete masochist.  The two have nothing to do with each other.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

All you're doing is hurting yourself.  That certain shortstop is going to be real good.  I'd enjoy Eloy for the player he is and try to forget about that other guy unless you are a complete masochist.  The two have nothing to do with each other.

I squint my eyes and pretend Tatis Jr. is at 3B and Moncada is still playing 2B.

• Like 1