Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

I agree, nobody doubts his power. If he was a 45 power guy maybe you could doubt him but all the publications have him at like 70 power.  His K rate is currently a bit high at 32% (compensated by an unsustainable babip) but that is normal when you first face mlb pitching, he was always 17-20% in the minors and should be about 20-22 in the majors after some adjustment.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, Albies just signed a 7/$35M extension with two option years.  Maybe I’m missing something, but that makes Eloy’s 6/$43M deal look completely ridiculous in comparison.

His agent is terrible. They basically tied him to scott kingerys contract for some (no) reason?

4 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Not really though. Arbitration awards the things Jiménez is expected to excel at. 

Ok, but two of the guaranteed years are free agent years.  If Albies is even close to a 4 win player again (like he was last year), the last two years of the contract would easily be worth $40M+.  I don’t care how arbitrators award these things, three arbitration years plus two free agent years should be worth significantly more for a guy of this caliber.

The Braves are also getting options for two additional free agents year on top of the two guaranteed ones.  Our extension with Eloy bought us one single free agent year.  I get they’re at different points in time in their respective careers, but that’s still pretty nuts IMO.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Albies agent is getting destroyed.

3 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

This is extremely telling

I guess this Albies extension reflects more poorly on his agent being terrible than Hahn botching the Eloy deal.  That being said, I still think we should have gotten one more free agent year option out of him.

I like what I see from Eloy so far.  He's getting hits and seems to be seeing the ball well.  The HRs and doubles will come, and they'll come in bunches.  I think we'll see him being a little more aggressive after the first HR, which could lead to more strikeouts and pop flies.  But, he's a very good hitter and he'll adjust.  Expect an up and down season from him.  Overall, though, I expect good results.

17 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

Heyman arguing Salvador Perez contract is worse is pretty funny.

I dont think any GM would take Perez over Albies, but that said... Perez contract was so bad that the royals were like... so, sal, we wanna give you a couple more bucks for what happened.

Albies got destroyed. If the agent was worried he was going to lose his client.. well, then, he just guaranteed it with that shit deal. Shouldnt even be allowed. 9 years and 45 million. What a joke.