Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

51 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So, to actually respond to the topic: this doesn't make any sense financially.  Sox would be taking on way too much risk for a guy that although on a "star path" isn't a star yet and may not ever be one.   Why in the world would they commit 100 million to a guy to get what, two more years of control?

Doesn't seem like a smart bet IMO.  Now, if they wanted to revisit this after he puts up a big rookie campaign and sweeten it with 50+ million on top of the 100 million I'm fine with that because Eloy would have proven he can hit MLB pitching and would be due some big raises in ARB after his first few seasons.

On a side note, I can't fucking believe people are freaking out about his 26 spring training AB.  You serious?  You're serious?  Spring training is WORTHLESS.  How many fucking times do we have to go over this?  

There's just no way in hell this happens without options. 

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Also cost certainty and no negotiations.

Personally, if I was the White Sox, I wouldn't do it. I would revisit it in a year.Maybe he wouldn't do it then, but it's not like if he is a star they would be getting a huge discount.  The downside still is greater than the upside IMO before any MLB action. It isn't very team friendly. Not at all like the Sale, Eaton and Q contracts. If he performs, he gets paid.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Personally, if I was the White Sox, I wouldn't do it. I would revisit it in a year.Maybe he wouldn't do it then, but it's not like if he is a star they would be getting a huge discount. The downside still is greater than the upside IMO before any MLB action. 

It isn't going to be a $100 million deal unless Eloy is a star.  If he is, this will be a bargain.  If he isn't, we are going to be talking about less than half of that.  $100 million is an agents number.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The problem is, even with the options, if you don't want to exercise them that most likely means you have already overpaid him.

Maybe a few million dollars. That's a risk I'm taking to prevent a guy from walking for another year. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't going to be a $100 million deal unless Eloy is a star.  If he is, this will be a bargain.  If he isn't, we are going to be talking about less than half of that.

But it's not really a bargain. If he isn't a star, that's whatever it is vs. $2 million to $3 million. I think he will be great, but I would want at least some clarity before I offered him a potential 9 figures. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

But it's not really a bargain. If he isn't a star, that's whatever it is vs. $2 million to $3 million. I think he will be great, but I would want at least some clarity before I offered him a potential 9 figures. 

If he isn't great, he isn't getting 9 figures.  It isn't going to be both ways.

The way I see it is you have to price in (if you're Eloy) the value of getting to FA a year earlier. So you might take a kind of small guarantee to get to potential FA earlier, and you'll be okay with big dollar options on those years.

So you want to pour in 100 mil on a guy who hasnt played one Big League game?

Would you have signed Moncada to this same deal? After all, he was a top 3 prospect. Lets say Moncada does comeback and have a better season. Lets say Moncada's best seasons(top 4) average are around .265 25HR 90 RBI but has 180 k's per season. Would you give him the same amount of money as Eloy? Lets say Eloy is better than Moncada and averages .295 30HR 100RBI but is groomed to strike out more than 170 times a year and walk 65. Would you sign him to that deal? All of these are IFS IFS IFS, there is no track record nad no gaurantee Moncada will get better or Eloy will produce. Do I believe in him, yes, but why not see what this talented young man can do and then sign him for the long term and spend millions.

The payoff on these kind of deals is absolutely massive vs. the risk. The risk is there and it's very real, but look at Anderson who is the closest one of the 4 deals of this type to being a 'bad' deal. his contract is basically a non-factor. 

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

Tim Anderson is one bad season away from being released.  You cant hit .240 with 5 times as many strikeouts to walks and expect to be a full time player.

1. False

2. Fine, if he gets released (He won't), the extension he was given will not be prohibitive in anyway because of the structure of his options,  which was my entire point. 

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless you think Palka is part of the future as a LH platoon DH.

Theyre also taking at bats away from Rondon.   Those are the two most affected, obviously Delmonico as well.

Why give the at bats to them? They aren't going anywhere. As I said Jay and Alonzo were there to try to get Machado. It didn't work but it the grand plan of the rebuild it doesnt matter.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

1. False

2. Fine, if he gets released (He won't), the extension he was given will not be prohibitive in anyway because of the structure of his options,  which was my entire point. 

And my point, why you dont sign a guy until he proves himself. Anderson is no way worth 7 and 9 mil he will be getting in 21 & 22 unless he improves his game, which I really do hope for. 

Just now, Chisox378 said:

And my point, why you dont sign a guy until he proves himself. Anderson is no way worth 7 and 9 mil he will be getting in 21 & 22 unless he improves his game, which I really do hope for. 

Chris Sale, Adam Eaton, and Jose Quintana are why you sign a guy before  he proves himself.  The cost of a proven guys goes up by multiples.

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Again... the benefits of signing a guy early FAR outweigh the risk of paying someone 9 million dollars when they're worth 4. 

(Anderson is also worth => 9 million.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

Again... the benefits of signing a guy early FAR outweigh the risk of paying someone 9 million dollars when they're worth 4. 

(Anderson is also worth => 9 million.)

It also might make him lazy.  

My expectations are higher for a guy making 9 mil. Again, unless he starts to become a better hitter and can post something like .270 .360 25HR and alot less K's.

If Anderson keeps what he is doing now would it not be easy  to find a player via trade or in the minors to put up his numbers?

Edited by Chisox378

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

My expectations are higher for a guy making 9 mil. Again, unless he starts to become a better hitter and can post something like .270 .360 25HR and alot less K's.

That's more akin to a $25M player at SS, my man. It's not the early 90s anymore where $9M can get that type of player.

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

That guy playing shortstop is worth like 30 million...

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Well, he can already do the 20+ home runs, 20+ stolen bases, and plays above average defense at the most important position on the field. Soooooo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal