Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

Just now, ron883 said:

Tatis Jr was a nothing prospect at the time. Losing him has no impact on the team today, and is not something any other fan base would dwell on. 

That is absolutely not true.  Keith Law wrote at least one piece where scouts said, if eligible for the draft, Tatis would have gone 1-1.  I remember because I was horrified the Sox were even contemplating a foolish move like that.  A lot of people knew Tatis was good.

Just now, Timmy U said:

That is absolutely not true.  Keith Law wrote at least one piece where scouts said, if eligible for the draft, Tatis would have gone 1-1.  I remember because I was horrified the Sox were even contemplating a foolish move like that.  A lot of people knew Tatis was good.

I was being slightly sarcastic, but I didn't realize he was that highly thought of prior to the trade.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Behind.

Lol. You are b****ing about losing Marcus Semien and Omar Navarez. It's nonsense.

Yeah. Let's be honest. What will be worth more at the deadline: a light-hitting catcher who can't catch or a back-end reliever with success in the closer's role?

Edited by soxfan2014

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I was being slightly sarcastic, but I didn't realize he was that highly thought of prior to the trade.

Lol well he wasnt since he was the 30th ranked international signee in his class and was not considered a serious prospect by anyone hence what he signed for. Lol at 1-1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, he was second on the club in fWAR to Abreu last year, unless Anderson or Moncada snuck in there ahead of him.

If Collins and Zavala can't hack it, and we can't convert on Grandal against 10-12 teams...then what's the solution at catcher besides missing out on Rutschman in the draft?  Take a chance on Langoliers instead?

His pitch framing is already markedly improved this year, according to a lot of scouts who follow the AL West.

What scouts? Please just quote me one scout that has said this. Just one.

44 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, Semien had one decent year. He was a nothing prospect - once again - that the Sox helped develop into an MLB player. Losing him has no impact on the team today, and is not something any other fan base would dwell on. 

Yeah, this is wrong.  You seem to have good insights, but also may be related to Rick Hahn.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What two free agent years are you referring to?  This extension only got us one extra year of control.

There are two option years at the end? Its 6 for 43 and then two options to bring it to 77. Only one free agent year though - you are correct.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You think he will sustain it? I don't. 

I dunno, but I will say that "Let's be honest" and being dishonest about his numbers last year doesn't match up to me. 

I think there's a decent chance we traded away a solid player. 

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol well he wasnt since he was the 30th ranked international signee in his class and was not considered a serious prospect by anyone hence what he signed for. Lol at 1-1

Does it really matter?  He is now one of the top prospects in baseball.  Obviously Hahn grossly misjudged his talent level.  He even joked about it at SoxFest and ripped on himself.  Hahn has obviously shown he can make quite a few mistakes.  Look no further than this brutal offseason.  😳

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Does it really matter?  He is now one of the top prospects in baseball.  Obviously Hahn grossly misjudged his talent level.  He even joked about it at SoxFest and ripped on himself.

Of course it matters. Theres a massive difference between trading a guy that would go 1-1 for James shitty shields and trading a prospect that no other team would give more than 1.25 million too just 12 months earlier - also a 12 months in which he played no professional baseball.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I never said he was a hack. Hes a nice mlb player. Not having Marcus semien will have zero impact on the Sox future or rebuild and it will never cost them a playoff spot.

Everything has an opportunity cost.  Don’t they teach basic economics in high school anymore?

Just like no one thought a broken down James Shields would ever return a top prospect, he did.  If the Sox didn’t use Semien in the bust of a trade for The Shark, maybe Semien excels with the Sox and they eventually trade him for a guy who turns into a legit prospect.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Everything has an opportunity cost.  Don’t they teach basic economics in high school anymore?

Just like no one thought a broken down James Shields would every return a top prospect, he did!  If the Sox didn’t use Semien in the bust of a trade for The Shark, maybe he excels with the Sox and they trade him for a top prospect.

I'm pretty well tuned into economics but thank you. I may have taken a few more econ and finance classes after high school. Just maybe though. 

A lot of maybes in your scenario. Semien wouldnt land a top 100 guy now.

They teach your hindsight bias in high school too.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He has to pass a physical. Didn't he take one at the beginning of spring training? Must be like those physicals we took in HS, the weigh you, measure you, grab your balls and tell you to cough. 

I chuckled at that too, Sox had this guy in camp all spring but he needs to pass a physical?!

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Of course it matters. Theres a massive difference between trading a guy that would go 1-1 for James shitty shields and trading a prospect that no other team would give more than 1.25 million too just 12 months earlier - also a 12 months in which he played no professional baseball.

He played in instructs.  That’s where his profile jumped.  

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal