Jump to content
Jose Abreu

Eloy officially got paid

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I am picturing this conversation as if it is happening in a bar, and it is fantastic.

SS2K5 and Balta are off in a corner shouting big numbers at each other, not even noticing caufield yelling into a literal megaphone and wearing a sandwich board that says "I knew TIm Hullett before you were in diapers". A crowd of drunk soccer fans has gathered near caufield and they are all egging him on and buying him drinks to juice out as much entertainment as possible. Chisox378 is sitting at the end of the bar nursing a warm beer and telling the bartender the world has gone to shit and why can't we go back to Mayberry. The bouncer (Mods) are standing there mouths agape like they are watching a car crash, no idea where to even start. Others walk by the bar, see what's going on and juuuuuust keep walking. 

 

Not bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Eloy doesn't seem too happy..

I mean, its not like he didn't know it was coming.  Not that ST stats means a damn thing, and obviously 26 at bats is nothing, but he didn't make it any harder on the White Sox by going 4/26 with 9 Ks and 0 walks. 

He'll be up by 4/20.  Maybe sooner if he signs this strange deal that doesn't make much sense.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, to actually respond to the topic: this doesn't make any sense financially.  Sox would be taking on way too much risk for a guy that although on a "star path" isn't a star yet and may not ever be one.   Why in the world would they commit 100 million to a guy to get what, two more years of control?

Doesn't seem like a smart bet IMO.  Now, if they wanted to revisit this after he puts up a big rookie campaign and sweeten it with 50+ million on top of the 100 million I'm fine with that because Eloy would have proven he can hit MLB pitching and would be due some big raises in ARB after his first few seasons.

On a side note, I can't fucking believe people are freaking out about his 26 spring training AB.  You serious?  You're serious?  Spring training is WORTHLESS.  How many fucking times do we have to go over this?  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The idea that $30 million in 8 years will be greater or more difficult to afford than $50 million today is nonsensical, you're right. 

Its nonsensical because they aren't trying to compete this year so the money doesn't matter. In a year they might be trying to add a piece to go to the playoffs or win the world series it would matter. This year doesn't matter for competition so the money doesn't matter. They dont need to first anything else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So, to actually respond to the topic: this doesn't make any sense financially.  Sox would be taking on way too much risk for a guy that although on a "star path" isn't a star yet and may not ever be one.   Why in the world would they commit 100 million to a guy to get what, two more years of control?

Doesn't seem like a smart bet IMO.  Now, if they wanted to revisit this after he puts up a big rookie campaign and sweeten it with 50+ million on top of the 100 million I'm fine with that because Eloy would have proven he can hit MLB pitching and would be due some big raises in ARB after his first few seasons.

On a side note, I can't fucking believe people are freaking out about his 26 spring training AB.  You serious?  You're serious?  Spring training is WORTHLESS.  How many fucking times do we have to go over this?  

Wilson Betemit and Ryan Sweeney agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

And yes, without Machado or Harper the entire offseason does indeed suck.  $45 million wasted on a bunch of mediocre players for 1-2 years.

No not $45M because they still would've had to sign others so I ask again what's the difference between who they signed and who they could've signed ? $10-15M maybe if you can prove those other signings fit the exact same bill as those they did sign? Most can't provide any argument that fits because the Sox would've had to wait till March to do it because most signed late for a reason which was they didn't get the money they wanted early and had to settle.

Subtract Alonso and Jay because they had a specific purpose to  luring Machado and to some degree so did the others . Once that went to shit at least Nova, Herrera and Colome  still provide protection for the young arms in the rotation or in the BP. I will give you Alonso and Jay as wasted because at least many posters could agree that unless we got Machado those moves would suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Its nonsensical because they aren't trying to compete this year so the money doesn't matter. In a year they might be trying to add a piece to go to the playoffs or win the world series it would matter. This year doesn't matter for competition so the money doesn't matter. They dont need to first anything else

You are literally making the case over and over and over again for why the spending this offseason was stupid and why putting the $50 million in a mattress and waiting until 2027 to open the mattress was a better idea than the moves we made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think the front-office negativity is a little over the top. Fans can help to encourage owners to spend the money they have reasonably available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You are literally making the case over and over and over again for why the spending this offseason was stupid and why putting the $50 million in a mattress and waiting until 2027 to open the mattress was a better idea than the moves we made. 

I have no idea how you can possibly get that point of view from that post. This year doesn't matter except to help the prospects progress. The moves they made with the pitching will help the young staff by eating innings and having a better pen so the starters can exit earlier. Jay and Alonzo aren't going to do much, but they aren't blocking any prospects so who cares. The Sox aren't trying to win so it doesn't matter, somebody has to play there so it doesn't save that much.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This does not make a lot of sense to do this. Sox do everything so ass backwards.

Edited by Soxfest
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I am picturing this conversation as if it is happening in a bar, and it is fantastic.

SS2K5 and Balta are off in a corner shouting big numbers at each other, not even noticing caufield yelling into a literal megaphone and wearing a sandwich board that says "I knew TIm Hullett before you were in diapers". A crowd of drunk soccer fans has gathered near caufield and they are all egging him on and buying him drinks to juice out as much entertainment as possible. Chisox378 is sitting at the end of the bar nursing a warm beer and telling the bartender the world has gone to shit and why can't we go back to Mayberry. The bouncer (Mods) are standing there mouths agape like they are watching a car crash, no idea where to even start. Others walk by the bar, see what's going on and juuuuuust keep walking. 

 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c8a827f4868793349

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sox best prospect since Frank Thomas could be on the verge of an 8 year, $100M extension and a few asshats are in the thread trying to big dick one another discussing how cool they are. What a joke.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I have no idea how you can possibly get that point of view from that post. This year doesn't matter except to help the prospects progress. The moves they made with the pitching will help the young staff by eating innings and having a better pen so the starters can exit earlier. Jay and Alonzo aren't going to do much, but they aren't blocking any prospects so who cares. The Sox aren't trying to win so it doesn't matter, somebody has to play there so it doesn't save that much.

Unless you think Palka is part of the future as a LH platoon DH.

Theyre also taking at bats away from Rondon.   Those are the two most affected, obviously Delmonico as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The Sox best prospect since Frank Thomas could be on the verge of an 8 year, $100M extension and a few asshats are in the thread trying to big dick one another discussing how cool they are. What a joke.

Yoan Moncada was the #1 prospect in all of of baseball entering 2017.

He has four tools (at least 3 1/2 because it’s more raw power than consistent in game power), Jimenez has just 2, and he doesn’t walk nearly as much as Thomas.  Well, almost no one does. 

Jimenez is stuck behind Guerrero and Tatis.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good gawd the level of narcissism in this thread has set an all time high for SoxTalk, lol. Still entertaining to read.

As for the Eloy rumor. I don't object to locking him up for many years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has been suggested, if true I suspect the 8 years 100 million is a maximum value rather than guaranteed length/value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlackSox13 said:

Good gawd the level of narcissism in this thread has set an all time high for SoxTalk, lol. Still entertaining to read.

As for the Eloy rumor. I don't object to locking him up for many years to come.

He already is locked up for several years to come. This gives them a year and 2 weeks more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

He already is locked up for several years to come. This gives them a year and 2 weeks more. 

Also cost certainty and no negotiations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×