Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

He's up for Opening Day then, right? 

Has he worked on his defense and straightened out his hitting to the White Sox satisfaction? 

I would think he would be up. But the Sox would have a hard time explaining his being sent down without being truthful. 

Just now, Tony said:

So then there is no reason for him to start the season in AAA.

I mean, he did just hit like .150 with a 400 OPS this spring. Keeping him down for a couple weeks when his extended salary this year is probably like 1MM is not a big deal.

This makes a lot more sense than the 8/100 deal Gomez was originally reporting.

Still odd in a way though, that this only gives him 1 extra year of control. They are basically paying, if Jimenez is still an average or better starter, like maybe a few million dollars for that extra year. So it's worth it, and if he's better than average, it gets even better.

I mean, it's not the Q/Sale crazy win for the sox but it will make the player happy, creates cost certainty through 6 years for hopefully a game changing prospect, and the 7 and 8 years are not team guaranteed so I like it.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal