Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I mean, it's not the Q/Sale crazy win for the sox but it will make the player happy, creates cost certainty through 6 years for hopefully a game changing prospect, and the 7 and 8 years are not team guaranteed so I like it.

If he's a top 10 hitter in 2023 for $6.1M, I'd say it's a crazy win

• Like 1

Just now, flavum said:

We’ll see what happens, but you’d think getting signed to a deal this long would mean bygones being bygones and he’s in left field next Thursday. Skip the baloney.

You’d think. Unless they want him to get his timing down in Charlotte? Seems odd to sign him after sending him down. He’s the best OF right now.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I just don't understand this position. If service time/manipulation was never a topic the last year, it was never part of the equation.....wouldn't all of us expect Eloy to be up with the big club for the start of the season? It seems like all of us agree he has nothing left to prove, and the "work on his defense" line was a joke. 

So now that he has the new deal....why is this still a thing? 

well apparently it doesn't matter and I was wrong, but if it realistically got you years 8/9 on options rather than 7/8 that's an interesting gamble for 3 weeks.

But I am glad I get a much better outfield of Eloy/LEURYGOATCIA/danny palka than whatever the hell was going to be in left field for 3 weeks

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If he's a top 10 hitter in 2023 for $6.1M, I'd say it's a crazy win

Right but that would have been true had he not signed the contract. The teams have a lot of leverage in these deals in that the next six years do not have guaranteed money if the player is terrible. Now Jimenez gets guaranteed money regardless of how good he is. He would very likely be good! But he could also get injured and never be what we thought, and now the dude gets a great life for his family and I'm happy for him.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I just don't understand this position. If service time/manipulation was never a topic the last year, it was never part of the equation.....wouldn't all of us expect Eloy to be up with the big club for the start of the season? It seems like all of us agree he has nothing left to prove, and the "work on his defense" line was a joke. 

So now that he has the new deal....why is this still a thing? 

I think it sends the message that he is only being called up because he was signed.  I don't think the Sox want to send that message, since he was already sent down.

9 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

In any case congrats to Eloy and his family. Absolutely outstanding for him especially with where he came from.. which was nothing. 

I get it’s the DR, but I think Eloy’s mom is a cop and his dad is a teacher/basketball coach, so I don’t think he grew up in abject poverty.  Still, good for him.  Face of the franchise, and if he carries it over from the minors, a potential leader.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal