Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This Eloy deal would look so much nicer if he was hitting behind Machado in the lineup, but whatever.

Draft Vaughn, sign Castellanos/JD Martinez and suddenly this lineup looks pretty good heading forward.

Rendon is now the next best guy available and he just turned down the Nationals extension offer.  Sox still have a hole at 3B and I don’t expect anything but DH potential for Burger.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Aren’t they both April 4?

Yep, I got the days mixed up. However, if they called him up for the home opener, he would never have played a game this season with the Knights, since the Sox season starts on March 28th. So my guess is either he starts with the White Sox, or he comes up around the same time we all thought he would anyway.

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Rendon is now the next best guy available and he just turned down the Nationals extension offer.

It's tough to put together future lineups, but here goes.

LF: Eloy

CF: Robert

RF: JD Martinez/Nick Castellanos

3B: Moncada

SS: Anderson

2B: Madrigal

1B: Vaughn

DH: Abreu

C Collins

That really isn't that bad on paper, and not all that unrealistic either.

6 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Rendon is now the next best guy available and he just turned down the Nationals extension offer.  Sox still have a hole at 3B and I don’t expect anything but DH potential for Burger.

Doh, forgot about Moncada moving to 3B and Madrigal.  RF could be a nice FA area.

C Collins

Didn't Hahn sort of hint that they won't go past a certain age with free agents? I almost feel like you can cross JDM off the list.

C Collins

I'm sorry,  but I'd rather never see Jose Abreu play baseball again than to see JD Martinez or Nick Castellanos play Right every day. 

58 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

And that doesn't even include the last two years which are where the really money can be saved.

I’m fine with this extension, but what he’s worth and what he would make going through the arbitration process are two separate matters and Kiley is missing the mark here IMO.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m fine with this extension, but what he’s worth and what he would make going through the arbitration process are two separate matters and Kiley is missing the mark here IMO.

Well one of those options years is irrelevant to arb, and the other option year is when he would be making 90% of what he's worth. I'm also guessing 43 is less than he would make in arb, if those options are worth pickng up. 

Edited by mqr

Just to keep it positive I will say that this signing is at least one small step on a mile run for the Sox to win back my full interest and financial investment. As of today they still don’t have it. They may never will but if they can make a collection of moves that work out then it’s possible. If you are going to be cheap then you for damn sure better be smart. 

• Like 3

Kris Bryant will likely end up earning a total of $70 to $75 million by going through the arbitration process year after year.

Eloy has a long way to go to be as good as Bryant but it’s probably the best comparison. $43 million for 6 years or $77 million for 8 years has the potential to be a big savings of money if Eloy is everything he is expected to be.

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Predictions on how much WAR Mr. Jimenez puts up over the life of this contract (assuming both option years are picked up)? 

Over or under 30WAR? 

I'll take the over but barely. 

Under. 30 is like... a lot

Edited by mqr

27 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

He got this guy named Yoan Moncada.  

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Predictions on how much WAR Mr. Jimenez puts up over the life of this contract (assuming both option years are picked up)? 

Over or under 30WAR? 

Under, only 6 OFs have greater than 30 fWAR over the past 8 years.

2 minutes ago, Baker said:

Back of the envelope, Eloy will have to accumulate about 28 War over 8 seasons (3.5 per season) to even out on the contract for both parties. Excellent deal for Eloy. 

I assume you didn't account for inflation both in the economy at large and in arbitration?

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Over or under 30WAR? 

I’m not a WAR guy, but if he plays 1200 games over the next 8 years, we’re all going to be happy with his numbers, WAR included.

I’m already worried about his health...irrationally.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m not a WAR guy, but if he plays 1200 games over the next 8 years, we’re all going to be happy with his numbers, WAR included.

I’m already worried about his health...irrationally.

Eloy playing in 1200 games seems less likely than surpassing 30 WAR

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal