Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

25 minutes ago, Insp said:

If this guy, who started out hitting  .154, really is signed up for a long term deal, then that means that to use a phrase that you hardly ever hear anymore, the Sox have truly jumped the shark.  

Are you seriously saying that we should not have extended Eloy Jimenez because of 26 Spring Training ABs? Because if that is so, that might be the single hottest take in the history of Soxtalk hot takes. I give it 5 flames out of a possible 4.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

1 hour ago, justBLAZE said:

Where do you hit him in the lineup? I'll take a stab:

Jay CF

Moncada 3B

Abreu 1B

Alonso DH

Jimenez LF

Castillo C

Palka RF

Anderson SS

Sanchez 2B

I like this lineup the most.  But man, Sanchez as a starter really ruins the look of that lineup.  Hopefully, Madrigal is legit.

Palka in RF will be an adventure but at least we get to see more Palka bombs.

3 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I like this lineup the most.  But man, Sanchez as a starter really ruins the look of that lineup.  Hopefully, Madrigal is legit.

Palka in RF will be an adventure but at least we get to see more Palka bombs.

You look at that lineup, and the guy you have the problem with out of everyone is Yomer? 

Palka is awful. Yolmer is a much better MLB regular than Palka.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The deal has been described as done pending a physical. 

That also sounds like bullshit. It's not like Eloy is a free agent. He's been with the club for a month+.

Either he's hurt or this isn't real. Either way, this would be wrapped up by now.

3 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

That also sounds like bullshit. It's not like Eloy is a free agent. He's been with the club for a month+.

Either he's hurt or this isn't real. Either way, this would be wrapped up by now.

If it wasnt real itd be leaked that it wasnt real. No way both camps would let it get this far with no denial.

14 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

This isn't just one dude tweeting. The details are out down to dollars per each year and signing bonus.

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You look at that lineup, and the guy you have the problem with out of everyone is Yomer? 

Palka is awful. Yolmer is a much better MLB regular than Palka.

Yolmer is no MLB regular.  Neither is Palka.  I basically said Palka’s defense is trash but he hits the occasional bomb.  We need a 2B and a RFer.  Hopefully we have a 2B in Madrigal but I don’t have much faith in Rutherford or Adolfo being our next RFer.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This isn't just one dude tweeting. The details are out down to dollars per each year and signing bonus.

They're going to discover some type of "fuzzy" knee issue (see Astros' or Orioles' SOP) that's not conclusive from the MRI's and try to discount the contract terms or get an additional option year.

Just kidding.

(Hopefully.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yolmer is no MLB regular.  Neither is Palka.  I basically said Palka’s defense is trash but he hits the occasional bomb.  We need a 2B and a RFer.  Hopefully we have a 2B in Madrigal but I don’t have much faith in Rutherford or Adolfo being our next RFer.

27 is more than occasional....plus the exit velocity, he actually makes contact, he kills it.

7 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Problem is his lack of walks and awful defense drag him down to a below average player, especially in RF.

He's perfectly fine as a platoon DH getting 350 at-bats against mostly RH pitching...but might as well let him see if he can hit lefties as well.  Unfortunately, that's going to conflict with too many weird roster fits (like Jay and especially Guyer) who don't necessarily belong on a rebuilding team.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He's perfectly fine as a platoon DH getting 350 at-bats against mostly RH pitching...but might as well let him see if he can hit lefties as well.  Unfortunately, that's going to conflict with too many weird roster fits (like Jay and especially Guyer) who don't necessarily belong on a rebuilding team.

Agreed, but he’s going to mainly be playing RF with Abreu and Alonso around for 1B/DH and Eloy in LF.

5 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Agreed, but he’s going to mainly be playing RF with Abreu and Alonso around for 1B/DH and Eloy in LF.

You may as well play him out there and see what happens. If his defense doesn't improve and his bat regresses, oh darn we lost some games, I wonder what that feels like. If either one of them gets better...hey this makes our team better in 2020.

17 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Rays just signed last years cy young winner for 5 years 50 million (already two years in) plus a FA option.

We overpaid.

You fucked up the contract language: there is no option attached, it's a straight 5 year deal. I'll also ignore the minutia and big picture shit you're clearly missing here and just say wage theft and the neutering of unions is cool as shit. Full disclosure: I do own a Robert Nutting shirsey, only half ironically due to the name, I mostly admire his restraint.

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are you seriously saying that we should not have extended Eloy Jimenez because of 26 Spring Training ABs? Because if that is so, that might be the single hottest take in the history of Soxtalk hot takes. I give it 5 flames out of a possible 4.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

The problem is not so much that he's extended if he actually is, but the kind of big money that's being talked about.  That money could be better put to use on some of the quality of free agents who are still available.  Perhaps Dallas Keuchel is not the best option, but there are others who could really help this team particularly in pitching that could bring more people to the ballpark and raise money for next season, not too mention give the fans hope that a team turnaround really is in the offing. 

Perhaps Eloy really is the hot bat that you think he is, but he should first demonstrate it at the major league level before there's any talk of big money headed his way.

Edited by Insp