Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

So if this is true, what does the optioning to AAA mean?  Can they just promote him tomorrow?

It’d be weird as hell, but it doesn’t matter much as it’s very very unlikely that he would need that option if given a huge contract

Given that Eloy's first three years are going to be near the league minimum this is basically a 5 year deal for ~$98 MM. I don't really see why you would give that kind of money to a player that doesn't have a major league at bat to their name. It also makes not calling him up last year really dumb. So basically what I'm saying here is that this is right in the White Sox wheelhouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, that I definitely agree with. 

Yeah - Why take that risk now vs. a couple years from now stepping up the game and getting a few more years (where you are more confident in the risk profile). It would be another story if this was like a 10 year deal at $100M.  This just seems too much, unless he is rounding up from like $75M and we are talking an 8 yr deal of $75M (and he's just grossly rounding that up to $100M).  8/75YR's I could probably get on board with.  Albeit, going that long you are taking real risk (given just how little he's played at the big league level).  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - Why take that risk now vs. a couple years from now stepping up the game and getting a few more years (where you are more confident in the risk profile). It would be another story if this was like a 10 year deal at $100M.  This just seems too much, unless he is rounding up from like $75M and we are talking an 8 yr deal of $75M (and he's just grossly rounding that up to $100M).  8/75YR's I could probably get on board with.  Albeit, going that long you are taking real risk (given just how little he's played at the big league level).  

If this is real (which I don't believe it is) it is 100000% a "see we spent money!!!" move.  Nothing more

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Honestly this would just make me more mad they didn’t shell out for Machado. But I’m rooting for the player to get his moola. 

Also so if this offer is on the table it would be already taken yeah?

Just thinking about that near the end of my last post had me triggered. We didn't want to risk giving Machado an extra $50 million over 2 years, but we're willing to risk at least 30 million $ on a guy who hasn't played a Major League game yet? And the $30 million in this case would be like a best case scenario. Not to mention that it's at least 7 years down the road. 

Edited by chw42

Just now, chw42 said:

Just thinking about that near the end of my last post had me triggered. We didn't want to risk giving Machado an extra $50 million over 2 years, but we're willing to risk at least 30 million $ on a guy who hasn't played a Major League game yet? And the $30 million in this case would be like a best case scenario. 

It does seem like the Sox have paid double what everyone else has had to pay for players this offseason. The “we suck” tax is alive and well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And why not just offer him this extension the day after he gets called up, so that way the 8 year deal starts AFTER 2019, so we really get him for 9 years. 

Don’t forget they tried to extend him last year. Eloy and his agent aren’t dumb.

21 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

Seems extremely high for what would be arb + 1 extra year even if he is a superstar?

Agreed, but it could also be something like TA's deal where a certain number of years are guaranteed and then there are option years. Maybe the 100 over 8 is the guarantee and then there is a team option for another year or two at a reasonable amount.

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I don't really understand why we would offer that tbh

I'm hoping if 8 yrs/$100M is correct, that it's at least structured something like 5 yrs/$40M, with 3 club options at $20M per year just in case Eloy flops or has a long history of injuries, it will protect the team to cut their losses after 6 years (I think the Sox can still offer him arbitration for his 6th year) and $45-50M.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm hoping if 8 yrs/$100M is correct, that it's at least structured something like 5 yrs/$40M, with 3 club options at $20M per year just in case Eloy flops or has a long history of injuries, it will protect the team to cut their losses after 6 years (I think the Sox can still offer him arbitration for his 6th year) and $45-50M.

There’s absolutely no way this would be a flat deal. I refuse to believe it. 

I can't even imagine most White Sox fans would think this was a good idea...and simply PR spin to show that they're not cheap and are suddenly willing to dole out "long-term" contracts.

Just idiotic for a player who has to hit like Manny Ramirez in LF to be really valuable in today's game.

47 minutes ago, mqr said:

Is this....is this a joke?

What other above average tools does Jimenez have?

2/5.  Hit for average.  Hit for power.

Average to below average fielder (see Avi), below average arm (maybe "par" for LF) and slow foot speed...which will likely slow down over time as he puts on more weight.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I look at the   Offer for Jose Abreu, an unproven Cuban player as being somewhat analagous.  I give JR / KW / RH credit for the Abreu deal. He has been a bright spot on this team since he was signed.

I know, I know, this is not exactly the same situation. Consider though that while  Eloy  has not played in an official MLB game, he has faced MLB pitchers. Also the Sox have watched him closely since he was traded to us from the wrong  side of towners

This would be a ballzy roll of the dice even by Vegas standards.   Using the Vegas analogy, maybe double down if this looks like it worked.So, assuming Robert rakes in the minors, comes up and rakes in the majors, and the thumb is no longer an issue, perhaps a long term Offer could be made to him at some point.

This could be a legitimate, albeit risky way to build a solid core for a rebuild . You risk a lot of  money by signing the best young prospects/players to  long term deals knowing they may never live up to their billing.     On the positive side, if it works, you have a core of young players signed to long term deals, and as a result, you have a much better idea what the roster and the budget will look like moving forward.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal