Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I feel like you might be undershooting on the arb figures a bit. Especially with inflation. Most estimates I've seen for a possible Eloy extension (thru 2025) are 7/70 or so. To make it 8/100 is just buying one year of FA at $30 million per those estimates, which is a lot, but honestly a risk I don't mind them taking given Eloy's ceiling and that it's just one year 

But it's super generous for an unproven guy so would have to be some give on the players side for extra years like into early 30's.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thats what I was thinking I mean don't the Sox have him on the cheap til 28 or 29 anyway ?

Yes, this move for the amount of money rumored by Hector Gomez would make no sense for the Sox.  It’s all risk and no reward.  It’s a ton of extra money for one extra year of control.  Eloy is still unproven and even if there is a low chance of him busting, there is still a chance he doesn’t perform as expected due to nagging injuries that he has shown he is frequently victim to.  You only make a move like this if you get 2-3 extra years of control.

Eloy gets $100 million guaranteed before seeing major league pitching and also gets to become a free agent again at age 29?  And the Sox get to pay him too much for one extra year of control?

After this offseason and seeing how Rick and Kenny operate, I would not be surprised if they proceed with this extremely questionable move.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Lol really..  What if he floops.... Maybe after yr 2 and he's produced but.....  

How could any team that drafted Gordon Beckham and Carson Fulmer as first rounders and traded for Yoan Moncada just assume an unproven player will be worth $100 million when you don’t even have to risk that kind of money?

Worst front office in the game.

• Love 2

6 hours ago, fathom said:

It does seem like the Sox have paid double what everyone else has had to pay for players this offseason. The “we suck” tax is alive and well.

Who did we pay double for?  

Jon Jay got the “Machado friends with benefits” tax, not the “we suck” tax.  McCann probably got too much, but that’s because we overvalued him and/or mis-read the catcher market.  I don’t view Herrera or Santana as big over-pays either.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I can't even imagine most White Sox fans would think this was a good idea...and simply PR spin to show that they're not cheap and are suddenly willing to dole out "long-term" contracts.

Just idiotic for a player who has to hit like Manny Ramirez in LF to be really valuable in today's game.

Jesus Christ...you’re really starting to lose it

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jon Jay got the “Machado friends with benefits” tax, not the “we suck” tax.  McCann probably got too much, but that’s because we overvalued him and/or mis-read the catcher market.  I don’t view Herrera or Santana as big over-pays either.

Jon Jay is maybe worth $2 million.  He got $4 million.  Adam Jones got $3 million.

Alonso got $9 million.  That is ridiculous.

Nova is getting $9 million and several starters on par with him got paid half of that.

Hahn overestimated the market.  And if you aren’t going to go all out to lock up Machado, don’t bother signing all these scrubs.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Sox don't spend on Machado - "fuck you, you cheap bastards."

Sox spend money on Eloy - "fuck you, you idiots." 

#soxfans

Yes, totally the same situations.  Eloy is worth every bit of $100 million guaranteed because he has proven himself in the majors.  He is guaranteed to be the player Machado already is.  It’s worth the financial risk for that extra one year of control.  Your argument is absolutely terrible.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jesus Christ...you’re really starting to lose it

Fine, go ahead and spend $100 million and another $9 million for 1.1 fWAR Nova and $9 million for 0.7 Alonso while giving away 2.1 fWAR Narvaez with four remaining years of control and 27 year old Avi Garcia.

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yes, totally the same situations.  Eloy is worth every bit of $100 million guaranteed because he has proven himself in the majors.  He is guaranteed to be the player Machado already is.  It’s worth the financial risk for that extra one year of control.  Your argument is absolutely terrible.

I didn't make an argument. I'm mocking you guys. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Fine, go ahead and spend $100 million and another $9 million for 1.1 fWAR Nova and $9 million for 0.7 Alonso while giving away 2.1 fWAR Narvaez with four remaining years of control and 27 year old Avi Garcia.

Or spend $320M on the 2.7 WAR Harper? Considering the year Harper and Machado had last year, WAR isn't the best argument. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Why not just give another $75-85 million to Moncada so we can control him through 2024 instead of 2023...?  Would anyone be elated NOW if we had given a similar deal to Moncada in 2017?

Or Giolito?  Or Kopech?

I think or at least hope....certainly not.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Or spend $320M on the 2.7 WAR Harper? Considering the year Harper and Machado had last year, WAR isn't the best argument. 

Check back with us when Eloy puts up a 10 fWAR...or sells more jerseys than any player in the history of professional sports the first day.

Will they even carry Jimenez jerseys after getting burned on Moncada, Rodon and Giolito?

He might need to first hit 30+ homers with a .275 to .280 average before they commit to a mass jersey production run.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Jon Jay is maybe worth $2 million.  He got $4 million.  Adam Jones got $3 million.

Alonso got $9 million.  That is ridiculous.

Nova is getting $9 million and several starters on par with him got paid half of that.

Hahn overestimated the market.  And if you aren’t going to go all out to lock up Machado, don’t bother signing all these scrubs.

I’m not defending Hahn’s offseason (it really did suck), but Alonso & Nova weren’t free agents so it’s wrong to say we paid a “we suck” tax for those guys.  

And we all know why Hahn added Jay & Alonso, so let’s not pretend those moves were anything but lame attempts to make the White Sox more attractive to Machado.

I do agree Hahn completely mid-read the SP market with Nova as Gonzalez would be a significantly better option at a similar or lower price right now.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It's just the whiny narrative going around right now for guys we paid less than $10M a yr. on for basically 1 year contracts. Oh no heaven forbid the Sox paid market rate to fill roster spots that needed filling regardless. Everyone expected the Sox to spend $300M but all of a sudden they were supposed to guess the entire market accurately and spend a lot less to surround Machado with crap or injured pitchers making up 3/5 of our starting staff.

If you don't what I mean by that last sentence it's everyone telling me Bucholz and Miley and all these other pitchers who pitched less than 100 innings last year could been signed for cheaper than Nova to eat innings. Then throw Rodon into that mix and there's 3/5 of the rotation being injured last  year. It boggles my mind that fans here think those guys are innings eaters who had injuries in 2018. You need a history of eating innings  . Holy shit how self explanatory does the term innings eater have to be ?

All of a sudden everyone's an expert on how to pend Jerry's money and it's always after the fact.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not defending Hahn’s offseason (it really did suck), but Alonso & Nova weren’t free agents so it’s wrong to say we paid a “we suck” tax for those guys.  

And we all know why Hahn added Jay & Alonso, so let’s not pretend those moves were anything but lame attempts to make the White Sox more attractive to Machado.

I do agree Hahn completely mid-read the SP market with Nova as Gonzalez would be a significantly better option at a similar or lower price right now.

No, it isn’t wrong.  Money is money whether you spend it on the salary of players you acquire via trade or free agency.  It means that Hahn misread the market by trading for those guys instead of spending less money on signing comparable free agents.  Hahn actually did worse because he also gave up resources other than money in those trades.  Colome too.  He traded Narvaez for Colome and his $6-7 million dollars for this year.

Edited by Harper2Sox

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

WTF...like I have no ide what this post even means.  What does spending $100M on Eloy have to do with any of the names you just mentioned?  How does this support your claim it’s idiotic to spend $100M on a guy who needs to “hit like Ramirez” to be valuable?  Also, please stop pretending Narvaez is a 2 win player just because BaltaBot keeps saying it in his endless request to rip the Colome trade.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal