Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

On the contrary, I think he's just really connected to players who have Dominican ties. That many of his tweets are Sox related is coincidental, IMO 

I think this is true, I think Gomez is wrong on this though, I'm guessing Rosenthal has denials from org and agent whose worried he will look bad with being significantly under.

19 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If this was any other labor union in the world, this wouldn't be accepted. Exploiting a workers time to limit their earning potential would be in violation in pretty much any other industry. 

Yes, you can base a claim on that. This is not my opinion - I am not a labor lawyer and I don't even play one on the internet - but the opinion of my old man who is now retired but was a corporate litigator partner at a major firm for 35 years.

I have his email detailing why it's in violation yet for some reason accepted practice because of the industry and the earning power in relation to others. I will see if I can dig it up. 

FTR, I have no problem with the White Sox doing this as it is the smart decisions and arbitrators have already ruled in favor of teams here... but the arbiters ruling, and language, is nonsense. While it is true that individual talent evaluation vary's from team to team, there are occasional obvious situations where it is not about development. Vlad, Kris Bryant, Eloy and etc. The fact that these teams have been emboldened so much to think this is OK that they call these guys up the day after is what makes the courts decision so terrible.  

It is too vague to enforce. The Sox are doing just what I suggested offerring a long'term deal. Meanwhile the two sides of MLB are being proactive.  If a player arguably deserves to be called up then make him an offer. To give up the service time ticks off the fans. As a fan I take no sides except the other two should get along. 

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

First, he called it an extension. Does that mean it would actually start after this season?

Second, the Sox sent him down. If something was near, would that have happened?

He could still be called up before the season starts technically without burning an option couldn't he ? Who gets the mystery injury ? Palka with the hammy seems likely.

• Like 1

Maybe Hector Gomez is getting paid a kickback by the front office for attempting to make the Sox look more generous than the really are in actuality...of course, if it’s all a fake plant, it’s going to really piss off Eloy and his agent.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe Hector Gomez is getting paid a kickback by the front office for attempting to make the Sox look more generous than the really are in actuality...of course, if it’s all a fake plant, it’s going to really piss off Eloy and his agent.

Well that wouldn’t make any sense then now, would it?

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Well that wouldn’t make any sense then now, would it?

Makes about as much sense as the most expensive extension (buying out just one year of FA) in the history of the game for a player never to step foot on a big league diamond during the regular season...

2 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

The rumored years and money made absolutely no sense so I’m glad it isn’t happening.

I would have totally guaranteed him like $30 million right now to buy out a year of free agency with options that could bring the value to $100m, and to no longer have to play the stupid service time game.

4 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

The rumored years and money made absolutely no sense so I’m glad it isn’t happening.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I would have totally guaranteed him like $30 million right now to buy out a year of free agency with options that could bring the value to $100m, and to no longer have to play the stupid service time game.

Exactly. It wasn't like the Sale, Eaton and Q deals. If he's great, they would basically be paying him at value. Someone laid out the other day comparisons to other stars who went through arbitration year-to-year and it was very close to $100 mill.

Edited by soxfan2014

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Exactly. It wasn't like the Sale, Eaton and Q deals and if he's great, they basically would have been paying him at value. Someone laid out the other day comparisons to other stars who went through arbitration year-to-year and it was very close to $100 mill.

I laid it for several stars and them going through the arbitration process resulted in between $50M to $60 in earnings over seven years.  $100M for eight seasons would be crazy IMO and an unprecedented extension.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I laid it for several stars and them going through the arbitration process resulted in between $50M to $60 in earnings over seven years.  $100M for eight seasons would be crazy IMO and an unprecedented extension.

Yep which is why it never really made sense. 

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yep which is why it never really made sense. 

If it's guaranteed then of course not, but the guarantee would probably be something close to $30 million - that's still unprecedented but totally reasonable for this player. 

Frankly, if he wanted $100 million guaranteed, I'll put $100 million guaranteed through 2029 on the table right now too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is funny. Why would anyone believe Levine over Gomez is beyond me. Levine brutally wrong about denying Sox manny offer.

Except Gomez is also wrong

RT @Ken_Rosenthal: The report of the #WhiteSox and Eloy being close on 8-year, $100M deal is both inaccurate and unrealistic. Scott Kingery signed largest contract for a player who had yet to appear in majors - 6 yrs, $24M with 3 club options. Only other such deal: Jonathan Singleton (5 yrs, $10M).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @Ken_Rosenthal: The report of the #WhiteSox and Eloy being close on 8-year, $100M deal is both inaccurate and unrealistic. Scott Kingery signed largest contract for a player who had yet to appear in majors - 6 yrs, $24M with 3 club options. Only other such deal: Jonathan Singleton (5 yrs, $10M).

Yea I'll wait till the team announces things, twitter can die in a bus fire. 

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

There’s evidence enough to be wary...Kingery might not yet be a bust, but he struggled mightily.  Everyone knows what happened to Singleton’s career.  The probability of that repeating itself isn’t high, but career-challenging injuries aren’t out of the question either at his size (which is why we always went year to year on Crede and Jenks.)

It certainly wouldn’t be extracting maximum value by any stretch of the imagination.

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

As much as I hate the White Sox cheapskate ways, this is not the way to spend money widely. To consider a deal like this, you need more than 1 year of UFA.

As costly as a $30 million option year would be...losing Jiminez after 2026 is better than losing him after 2025. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but not if it requires us guaranteeing him best player in baseball money those first seven years.

BaltaPositiveBot is back?  it's like the Twilight Zone around here, with all the group thinking that this proposed extension somehow is in the best interest of the White Sox.  Stockholm Syndrome?

The only plausible explanation is maybe the bot fried or shortcircuited when forced to read 15 names in a single post of mine then then another ten in one of yours?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal