Eloy officially got paid

Jose Abreu

45 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yoan Moncada was the #1 prospect in all of of baseball entering 2017.

He has four tools (at least 3 1/2 because it’s more raw power than consistent in game power), Jimenez has just 2, and he doesn’t walk nearly as much as Thomas.  Well, almost no one does. 

Jimenez is stuck behind Guerrero and Tatis.

Ok, and this makes your senseless stupidity in this thread more understandable? Go away

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

That's more akin to a $25M player at SS, my man. It's not the early 90s anymore where $9M can get that type of player.

Ok maybe, my understanding of the MLB market is off. Its a shame, paying players for that much will only drive up ticket prices.  Im guessing a team can replace Anderson type numbers(his numbers so far), spend alot less,  with a hungry minor leaguer or a trade.

Just now, Chisox378 said:

Ok maybe, my understanding of the MLB market is off. Its a shame, paying players for that much will only drive up ticket prices.  Im guessing a team can replace Anderson type numbers(his numbers so far), spend alot less,  with a hungry minor leaguer or a trade.

...no?

And that's still not counting the upside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Revenue governs labor costs, not vice versa. Also, tickets cost 7 dollars.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

It also might make him lazy.  

My expectations are higher for a guy making 9 mil. Again, unless he starts to become a better hitter and can post something like .270 .360 25HR and alot less K's.

If Anderson keeps what he is doing now would it not be easy  to find a player via trade or in the minors to put up his numbers?

Take a guess at how many SS's last year put up a .360 OBP.  I will save you the work.  2.

8 SS's hit .270 or better.

5 SS's hit 25 HR or more.

There was literally 1 SS in all of baseball who put up .270 AVE, .360 OBP, and 25 HRs.  And he just got 300 million dollars worth of a contract.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Take a guess at how many SS's last year put up a .360 OBP.  I will save you the work.  2.

There was literally 1 SS in all of baseball who put up .270 AVE, .360 OBP, and 25 HRs.  And he just got 300 million dollars worth of a contract.

Where we ever in on that guy?

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And he's not even a shortstop.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Never heard of him.

I love that Deadspin (of all places) has a huge Sox fan on staff that shits on the Sox every chance he can.  It's one of the few relevant national media places that has a Sox fan on staff and they use it to troll the club at every turn.

Why not, they deserve it.

White Sox Send Good Player to Minor Leagues

Edited by chitownsportsfan

The point being missed, or that I haven't seen talked about is the new CBA agreement. It's been made clear that the players are going to push being given more guaranteed money earlier in their careers. I think JR knows this and knows the gravy train of paying rookies and young arb guys almost nothing is about to end. Giving Eloy $100mm isn't so much about him believing in Eloy or being a nice owner. It's a calculated hedge to lock in a (hopefully) budding superstar at below market cost if the players association successfully negotiates a new agreement.

Jerry Reinsdorf is Old Man Potter from It's a Wonderful Life. He doesn't miss a trick. He's offering 50 cents on the dollar.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

The point being missed, or that I haven't seen talked about is the new CBA agreement. It's been made clear that the players are going to push being given more guaranteed money earlier in their careers. I think JR knows this and knows the gravy train of paying rookies and young arb guys almost nothing is about to end. Giving Eloy $100mm isn't so much about him believing in Eloy or being a nice owner. It's a calculated hedge to lock in a (hopefully) budding superstar at below market cost if the players association successfully negotiates a new agreement.

Jerry Reinsdorf is Old Man Potter from It's a Wonderful Life. He doesn't miss a trick. He's offering 50 cents on the dollar.

He's always been a bit off on predicting the future. Jack McDowell and Ray Durham come to mind. They both were traded for peanuts in anticipation the system was going to change. It did change, just not the way they envisioned. 

This contract is fine if he's always an MVP type, but their first 8 years Arenado will make $95 million and Machado $96 million. Eloy will be older when he is eligible to become a FA, so assuming he's a big star, this is pretty much market rate. I would think guaranteeing someone even half of that before they ever stepped to the plate in the major leagues, should mean there is at least a little give at the other end.

Edited by Dick Allen

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's always been a bit off on predicting the future. Jack McDowell and Ray Durham come to mind. They both were traded for peanuts in anticipation the system was going to change. It did change, just not the way they envisioned. 

This contract is fine if he's always an MVP type, but their first 8 years Arenado will make $95 million and Machado $96 million. Eloy will be older when he is eligible to become a FA, so assuming he's a big star, this is pretty much market rate. I would think guaranteeing someone even half of that before they ever stepped to the plate in the major leagues, should mean there is at least a little give at the other end.

True, but that's why it's a hedge. Let's say Eloy earns $80mm through his arb years. JR paying $20mm for peace of mind in case all of a sudden the system flips on him? What if the system flips and Eloy is worth $150mm. Then it just become a cost benefit analysis.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

True, but that's why it's a hedge. Let's say Eloy earns $80mm through his arb years. JR paying $20mm for peace of mind in case all of a sudden the system flips on him? What if the system flips and Eloy is worth $150mm. Then it just become a cost benefit analysis.

If Eloy earns only $80 million through hypothetical arb years, that means he got hurt or struggled a lot more than we'd have liked. If that was going to be the case, that's why we'd hope there are option years at the end, because that last option might get declined. 

20 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Eloy isn't being forced to sign the contract at gunpoint by Reinsdorf.  If a deal is reached, it is because both sides think they are better off with the agreement than without, not because one side is a villain and the other side is a naive victim.  If an anonymous poster on a message board is aware of the chance that the CBA will change the way young players are paid, Eloy and his agent are as well.

16 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Eloy isn't being forced to sign the contract at gunpoint by Reinsdorf.  If a deal is reached, it is because both sides think they are better off with the agreement than without, not because one side is a villain and the other side is a naive victim.  If an anonymous poster on a message board is aware of the chance that the CBA will change the way young players are paid, Eloy and his agent are as well.

This is correct. It's a cost benefit analysis for both sides. It's just ridiculously in favor of JR and the Sox as they are the ones with the money, the current broken system in place, the control, the power, etc. Eloy on the other hand is negotiating from weakness. What if I blow out a leg, an arm, a bicep, etc. etc. He has a lot more to lose. So because of that he can be taken advantage of. It's a business decision for all parties involved.

Eloy's about as "can't miss" as a prospect can be because there's very little maintenance to his game. He's not like Moncada as Yoan has a lot more going on at the plate and the field. It's not surprising that Yoan's struggling. I don't expect Eloy to struggle as much. Yoan does have a higher ceiling though. 

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Eloy's about as "can't miss" as a prospect can be because there's very little maintenance to his game. He's not like Moncada as Yoan has a lot more going on at the plate and the field. It's not surprising that Yoan's struggling. I don't expect Eloy to struggle as much. Yoan does have a higher ceiling though. 

This is exactly how I feel.  Eloy is one of the few guys who I could see being an instant star in this rebuild.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

This place is going to be unbearable god forbid Eloy struggles out of the gate

I have been told at least 10 times this offseason that Eloy struggling out of the gate is the 1 impossible thing that will never, ever happen. 

• Like 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Gomez and Passan confirm: Sox and Eloy nearing long-term deal