What are Archer or Greinke worth? deGrom/Thor?

caulfield12

Seems like one of the only solutions on the pitching front is a trade, if we’re unwilling to pay for Sale, Verlander, Cole...

Buy out Greinke’s deal, something like $96 million remaining.  10.8 fWAR in the NL West over the last three years, 3.6 average.

3.6 x 9= $32.4 million of value

Jameson Fisher and Yolmer/Leury for assuming remainder of Greinke deal?

Much more realistically, Chris Archer would be 10 fWAR=3.33 

3.33 x 9=$30 million of value

$7.5 million salary in 2019, two options valued at $8.25 million for both 2020/21, $24 million total for next three years (age 30-32)

$1.75 million 2020 buyout

What would the Pirates need in return to make this work?

Syndegaard I’m pretty sure with three years, deGrom’s two years make no logical sense without Machado/Harper.

Cost would be Jimenez+...not sure they would accept Robert, Cease and Madrigal....and that would wipe out three core pieces of the rebuild that have to be above average major leaguers, anyway.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I count 16 player names in this post. 

Based on the title I am intrigued at what happens when divide DeGrom by an Asgardian and want to run this experiment. 

Fine we have no prayer to get a really good FA pitcher because we just allocated all our money to Eloy Jimenez, so why not acquire one of four possible pitchers that might be available for various reasons before the trade deadline?

Happy now...?    Exciting stuff, for sure.  

Suggesting potential trades without mentioning realistic names is also quite thought-provoking.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fine we have no prayer to get a really good FA pitcher because we just allocated all our money to Eloy Jimenez, so why not acquire one of four possible pitchers that might be available for various reasons before the trade deadline?

Suggesting potential trades without mentioning realistic names is also quite thought-provoking.

First of all, no I seriously doubt that the White Sox will sell off anything for pitching at this trade deadline. Teams pay a premium price for pitching at the trade deadline so that they can compete right then. The White Sox will have no reason to pay a premium price to compete in 2019, so the premise is flawed.

Next offseason, adding pitching might be reasonable, but because you stacked your post with so many different pitchers its literally impossible to consider anything you've written. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

First of all, no I seriously doubt that the White Sox will sell off anything for pitching at this trade deadline. Teams pay a premium price for pitching at the trade deadline so that they can compete right then. The White Sox will have no reason to pay a premium price to compete in 2019, so the premise is flawed.

Next offseason, adding pitching might be reasonable, but because you stacked your post with so many different pitchers its literally impossible to consider anything you've written. 

Did your cat or dog pee on the carpet this morning?

You really want four separate posts or threads, one outlining each pitcher?

Covering a couple lines of simple/rudimentary statistics?

Every time I see 2019-20 FA’s listed, there are always tons of names in these threads, with only seven of the being realistic top and second tier targets.

If we were trying to acquire Manny Machado last offseason (2017-18) and during the actual season in order to convince him to sign an undervalue extension before he hit the market, one of the top players in all of baseball, why exactly would it be that hard to acquire Archer or Greinke?  

I think not, at least compared to the two young Mets’ pitchers.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

We haven’t signed Eloy to an extension and even if we do, how does that prevent us from adding pitcher via free agency exactly?  Very confused here.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We haven’t signed Eloy to an extension and even if we do, how does that prevent us from adding pitcher via free agency exactly?  Very confused here.

The standard reaction to all Caulfield posts.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I count 16 player names in this post. 

Based on the title I am intrigued at what happens when divide DeGrom by an Asgardian and want to run this experiment. 

How bout that 4-packed title?!  Never in all my days...

Caulfield,  I think you are right about trading for pitching but the year is off.  Who would be the realistic targets with 3-4 years AFTER this year and then AFTER the next year?  I’d look it up but I have no idea how you do it.  

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll refer you back to the sarcastic/hyperbolic tenor of all your posts about moving to Nashville...of course they CAN afford to pay Sale, Verlander and Cole, but WILL they?  You really want to double down again that we can add a  Jimenez extension, one of those three pitchers and another $75-125 million on a position prospect/hitter?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

I’ll refer you back to the sarcastic/hyperbolic tenor of all your posts about moving to Nashville...of course they CAN afford to pay Sale, Verlander and Cole, but WILL they?  You really want to double down again that we can add a  Jimenez extension, one of those three pitchers and another $75-125 million on a position prospect/hitter?

Sure I’ll double down on that.  And there was nothing sarcastic / hyperbolic about me moving to Nashville...it’s very likely happening in the next couple months.

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

How bout that 4-packed title?!  Never in all my days...

Caulfield,  I think you are right about trading for pitching but the year is off.  Who would be the realistic targets with 3-4 years AFTER this year and then AFTER the next year?  I’d look it up but I have no idea how you do it.  

How many more injuries to top pitching prospects do you think it will take for them to feel compelled to make a move to simply reverse the “rebuild is failing/fading” narrative?

We’re already starting to see anomalous behavior...the biggest contract in MLB history for someone without any major league at-bats under their belt?   Since when do we set precedents of actually increasing the cost of doing business by being overly generous?

What allows them to be SO certain about Jimenez that they lacked the conviction to do so with generational talents Machado and Harper? 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure I’ll double down on that.  And there was nothing sarcastic / hyperbolic about me moving to Nashville...it’s very likely happening in the next couple months.

I thought it was Goldschmidt/JDM, Bumgarner...?   

Or you’re NOW willing to elevate that to Sale/2+ years to Verlander (mutual option for Year 3)/Gerrit Cole, a generous Jimenez extension AND JDM/Goldschmidt/Rendon/Bogaerts/DiDi G?

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How many more injuries to top pitching prospects do you think it will take for them to feel compelled to make a move to simply reverse the “rebuild is failing/fading” narrative?

If they continue to have pitching injuries...they will not have the resources to make these moves. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they continue to have pitching injuries...they will not have the resources to make these moves. 

Hence, the need to simply “buy” or subsidize Greinke or “outcheap” the Pirates igpf they get buried way early in the NL Central by June...in that case, Polanco or Marte will be dangled out there as well.  They’ve already demonstrated an ability to dump franchise cornerstones in McCutcheon and Cole.  Ultimately, they’ll blink on Archer, who is exactly the type of veteran rotation anchor we need right now, and can easily afford in terms of less than $30 million in salary commitments through 2021.

Of course, then he’d be on the Rodon timeline for FA again at age 32/33.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Elated you could add to your low “likes” count...

Pretty sure you've posted more in the past hour than I have in the past 2 years combined, not all of us are as perpetually bored as you seem to be.

4 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Pretty sure you've posted more in the past hour than I have in the past 2 years combined, not all of us are as perpetually bored as you seem to be.

Trust me, you’ll see plenty of non activity out of many posters by the second half of the season, after the draft and trade deadline pass and 1/2 of our top prospects are parked on the injured list.

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I thought it was Goldschmidt/JDM, Bumgarner...?   

Or you’re NOW willing to elevate that to Sale/2+ years to Verlander (mutual option for Year 3)/Gerrit Cole, a generous Jimenez extension AND JDM/Goldschmidt/Rendon/Bogaerts/DiDi G?

I still think two impact free agents is a possibility easily.  I already ruled out Sale, Cole, & Bogaerts and probably Rendon too.  But short-term money will not be a problem and guys like Verlander, Bumgarner, JDM, Goldschmidt, Grandal will happen.  You keep talking like our plan is to rock a sub $100M payroll and that this extension that hasn’t even happened yet will someone prevent us from adding guys even though Eloy will be dirt cheap over the next few years regardless.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems like one of the only solutions on the pitching front is a trade, if we’re unwilling to pay for Sale, Verlander, Cole...

Buy out Greinke’s deal, something like $96 million remaining.  10.8 fWAR in the NL West over the last three years, 3.6 average.

3.6 x 9= $32.4 million of value

Jameson Fisher and Yolmer/Leury for assuming remainder of Greinke deal?

Much more realistically, Chris Archer would be 10 fWAR=3.33 

3.33 x 9=$30 million of value

$7.5 million salary in 2019, two options valued at $8.25 million for both 2020/21, $24 million total for next three years (age 30-32)

$1.75 million 2020 buyout

What would the Pirates need in return to make this work?

Syndegaard I’m pretty sure with three years, deGrom’s two years make no logical sense without Machado/Harper.

Cost would be Jimenez+...not sure they would accept Robert, Cease and Madrigal....and that would wipe out three core pieces of the rebuild that have to be above average major leaguers, anyway.

LOL at Robert, Cease and Madrigal for anyone; let alone a pitcher with a strong injury history.

No one is netting 3 top 30ish prospects in baseball.

Chris Sale on a team friendly deal and durability and longevity only netted 2 top 30 guys.