Giolito Strikes out Four Cubs in One Inning: A Spring Training Game Thread

Heads22

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would you mind elaborating on what he said?   Nothing will give me the motivation to pound five beers than some good ole fashioned Rick Hahn speak.

I tuned out after that, lotta like people are doing well. Name a player, they are doing well.

Then he mentioned ADolfo would start season on opening day as DH and I listened.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would you mind elaborating on what he said?   Nothing will give me the motivation to pound five beers than some good ole fashioned Rick Hahn speak.

No hard questions , typical positive spring training answers.  Felt like they talked mostly about the coming rule changes but I wasn't paying that close attention at that point.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I tuned out after that, lotta like people are doing well. Name a player, they are doing well.

Then he mentioned ADolfo would start season on opening day as DH and I listened.

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

No hard questions , typical positive spring training answers.  Felt like they talked mostly about the coming rule changes but I wasn't paying that close attention at that point.

Thank you both.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kids going to finish this one . Luis Gonzalez, Collins, Madrigal, Mendick, Rivera and Robert all in for defense for the top of the 7th.

Right now that defense is looking pretty porous.

53 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can't argue with the results when he bats cleanup. He is hitting .407 this spring.. May be just a confidence thing. Throw him in at clean up  to say we beleive in you kiddo.

If he is hitting .407 at the all star break then I will rescind my criticism of his contract. :)

3 minutes ago, Insp said:

Great Sox pitching here.  No wonder Hahn feels that the Sox don't need Dallas Keuchel.

Jones didn’t look to be throwing very hard. Robert had a nice double, Madrigal still has a long way to go to hit legit pitching with authority

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Jones didn’t look to be throwing very hard. Robert had a nice double, Madrigal still has a long way to go to hit legit pitching with authority

I hope Madrigal plays all five months in Birmingham under Vizquel and he just makes adjustments as he goes. He seems like a heady player, but he hasn’t wowed anybody yet. 

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he is hitting .407 at the all star break then I will rescind my criticism of his contract. :)

I don't believe it. Well I guess rescinding criticism is not the same as actually being positive, so I would believe it. 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, flavum said:

I hope Madrigal plays all five months in Birmingham under Vizquel and he just makes adjustments as he goes. He seems like a heady player, but he hasn’t wowed anybody yet. 

He's certainly wowed actual talent evaluators who still (this spring) see him as the most mlb ready hitter from the last draft. I'm not sure what people expected? He needs to add strength and some weight but he's not going to be hitting any tape measure Homers or 120 mph liners. He makes things happens with incredible hands. Probably the best hands in baseball and I'm not exaggerating. Not striking out at his rate is just all hand to ball. Hands arent everything but guys with hands like him get 70 hit grades for a reason... and in turn are frequently +++ defenders for the same reason.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's certainly wowed actual talent evaluators who still (this spring) see him as the most mlb ready hitter from the last draft. I'm not sure what people expected? He needs to add strength and some weight but he's not going to be hitting any tape measure Homers or 120 mph liners. He makes things happens with incredible hands. Probably the best hands in baseball and I'm not exaggerating. Not striking out at his rate is just all hand to ball. Hands arent everything but guys with hands like him get 70 hit grades for a reason... and in turn are frequently +++ defenders for the same reason.

Well, that and he’s outworked every single young player in the country since he was in middle school, partly due to doubts raised because of his size and having to prove himself against older and bigger players...in basketball, he would be the proverbial gym rat.

Sometimes I dont think people understand how much madrigal had to prove and overcome to be considered the best college bat in the country for mlb scouting purposes. Guys his size don't get that recognition without having a generational skill. 

Did he wear down last year? Of course. That's actually his biggest risk for a long season. But the kid has a talent that you just don't see often. 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As would just about anyone who had only 173 plate appearances across 3 levels in his first taste of pro ball. You expected differently ?

He’s almost exactly on a Beckham timeline at this point...

https://corvallisknights.com/white-sox-select-knights-alum-nick-madrigal-of-osu-in-first-round-4th-overall-pick/

Madrigal will try to prove his critics right. Oregon State head coach Pat Casey thinks the young infielder could quickly work his way up to the majors.

“He'll be in the big leagues in 1 1/2 or 2 years,” Casey said. “I get it, you've got to develop. But put him in a big league uniform, and he can play.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-talk-podcast-nick-madrigals-college-coach-says-guy-going-be-superstar

The definitive podcast that should make everyone a believer.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, that and he’s outworked every single young player in the country since he was in middle school, partly due to doubts raised because of his size and having to prove himself against older and bigger players...in basketball, he would be the proverbial gym rat.

This is nonsense. To overcome baseball scouting assumptions you need to have an incredible skill somewhere and being a 20 fv on the power scale isn't going to ever get you to the top level. You can generate an incredible amount of power when compared to your size if you have great hands. You just need to learn. Pedroia is a frequent and decent comp but madrigal has better hands than Pedroia. Does it mean he'll be better? Of course not, but to say he hasn't wowed anyone is absolutely baloney. He has to WOW people more than any prospect in America to get where he is.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run