Gio Gonzalez

NCsoxfan

He’s the guy Hahn should have signed, along with Machado.  Watch how cheap Gio signs for now.  Instead, Hahn wasted $50 million on scrubs, the same amount of money they missed out on Machado by.  The Sox would have been better by just adding Machado and Gio than the table scraps Hahn elected to sign.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Remember all the talk that the available pitching market was held up waiting for the whales to sign. Lot of pitchers are still out there 2 weeks later and most must be behind in getting ready for this season. 

8 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

This has probably been talked about 10 times by now, but what’s the TL;DR version on why we don’t sign Gio?

There is no legitimate reason not to sign him outside of the fact that Hahn is an amateur in a professional league.

9 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

This has probably been talked about 10 times by now, but what’s the TL;DR version on why we don’t sign Gio?

It makes perfect sense to sign him.  That's why Hahn will not sign him.

9 hours ago, Insp said:

There is no legitimate reason not to sign him outside of the fact that Hahn is an amateur in a professional league.

This is a rebuilding team that would lose a draft pick to sign a guy who won't be on the franchise's next decent team.

Or were you just complaining again?

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a rebuilding team that would lose a draft pick to sign a guy who won't be on the franchise's next decent team.

Or were you just complaining again?

Gio was traded last season it should cost no draft pick compensation to sign him (And no I still don't want to, play the kids).

• Like 1

Gio Gonzalez doesn't cost a draft pick. The White Sox chose Ervin Santana instead. They don't have a rotation spot for Gio at the moment. They were probably scared off by the walks and amount of homers he gives up. I think going with Ervin is fine, personally. 

24 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Why did the Sox trade for Nova who makes $8m and moves needle for no one. 

I don’t get the Nova move whatsoever, unless Cooper has identified an arsenal change that will greatly improve his production.  Right now, he looks a back of the rotation innings eater with little to no trade value potential.  I would have much rather gambled on someone with some level of upside or just given a younger arm (like Bañuelos) a shot at the #5 spot.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t get the Nova move whatsoever, unless Cooper has identified an arsenal change that will greatly improve his production.  Right now, he looks a back of the rotation innings eater with little to no trade value potential.  I would have much rather gambled on someone with some level of upside or just given a younger arm (like Bañuelos) a shot at the #5 spot.

Santana...

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes. I get the innings eater angle when you have a team that has a shot at the playoffs, but with this team, you might as well roll with cheaper options. Even if it takes 4 or 5 guys. Nova or not, someone is going to pitch those innings. 

Maybe at some point, they thought they would sign Machado and have some sort of shot at actually contending this year. Probably about as silly as thinking he would take $50 million less so he could be so privileged to wear a White Sox uniform. But hey, they did make a trade with the Cubs. Does it irk any else like it does me when they has Hahn about Machado and Harper, he always mentions "no one ever thought we would make a trade with the Cubs" like he deserves some sort of statue or something.?

Edited by Dick Allen

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes. I get the innings eater angle when you have a team that has a shot at the playoffs, but with this team, you might as well roll with cheaper options. Even if it takes 4 or 5 guys. Nova or not, someone is going to pitch those innings. 

Maybe at some point, they thought they would sign Machado and have some sort of shot at actually contending this year. Probably about as silly as thinking he would take $50 million less so he could be so privileged to wear a White Sox uniform. But hey, they did make a trade with the Cubs. Does it irk any else like it does me when they has Hahn about Machado and Harper, he always mentions "no one ever thought we would make a trade with the Cubs" like he deserves some sort of statue or something.?

Nobody ever though we would ever break the spending limit on Robert, either...but then NOT spend on anyone else for two years, essentially.   

“Meanwhile, San Diego's efforts on the international front accounts for one-third of prospects on its new Top 30 and should pay dividends for years to come.
Specifically, the club's robust 2016-17 international spending spree, in which it ultimately shelled out more than $60 million (including penalties for exceeding its bonus pool), has stocked the system with potential impact players and pitchers like Morejon ($11 million), Baez ($3 million), shortstop Gabriel Arias ($1.9), outfielders Jorge Ona ($7 million), Tirso Ornelas ($1.5 million) and Jeisson Rosario ($1.85 million), and infielder Luis Almanzar ($4 million).
And while the Padres are unlikely to receive much help from their farm in the coming year, a host of prospects -- 14, to be exact -- are ticketed to debut in 2019, including Tatis, Quantrill, Baez and Morejon.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-2016-2017-international-class-already-making-waves-20180630-story.html

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sdut-padres-target-depth-international-signing-class-2015jun26-story.html

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Totally agree.  And honestly, my biggest issue right now is we’re using two rotation spots on guys that realistically have no long-term role on the team.  If the rest of the rotation had no question marks and we were simply waiting on Kopech & Cease, then maybe I could see it, but that’s simply not the case.  

Giolito is a total wild card at this point and not exactly a good one.  Rodon hasn’t been able to make 30 starts once in his career and is only under control for two seasons after this coming one.  And with Dunning going down, we just lost our best internal option to fill in as needed.

IMO, we should be giving younger guys like Banuelos, Stephens, a shot instead of the Nova’s & Santana’s of the world even if the odds of them working out is low.  If we go into next season and both Rodon & Giolito are still question marks or even busts, our ability to put together a competitive rotation will prove to be very challenging.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Totally agree.  And honestly, my biggest issue right now is we’re using two rotation spots on guys that realistically have no long-term role on the team.  If the rest of the rotation had no question marks and we were simply waiting on Kopech & Cease, then maybe I could see it, but that’s simply not the case.  

Giolito is a total wild card at this point and not exactly a good one.  Rodon hasn’t been able to make 30 starts once in his career and is only under control for two seasons after this coming one.  And with Dunning going down, we just lost our best internal option to fill in as needed.

IMO, we should be giving younger guys like Banuelos, Stephens, a shot instead of the Nova’s & Santana’s of the world even if the odds of them working out is low.  If we go into next season and both Rodon & Giolito are still question marks or even busts, our ability to put together a competitive rotation will prove to be very challenging.

The problem is Lambert and Flores are too far out to push like that...and Stephens would get tattooed.  If they believed in him more strongly, there would some more obvious highlighting of him as a potential option, yes?

Covey seemingly is way ahead of Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, etc., on the food chain.

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is Lambert and Flores are too far out to push like that...and Stephens would get tattooed.  If they believed in him more strongly, there would some more obvious highlighting of him as a potential option, yes?

Covey seemingly is way ahead of Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, etc., on the food chain.

They did protect Stephens on the 40.  Maybe they just see him as a future reliever, but I’d wager they think there’s a non zero chance he can be a starter.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Because we will never have a chance at all of the prospects don’t get a chance to develop. They already got Nova to stabilize the rotation, presumably back when Gio was insisting on multiple years. 

Hallelujah ! A person who makes sense. Nova fills a specific role that not many 1 year starters could have unless you wanted Shields back. To sign injured pitchers from last year or allow young guys who can't even get guys out in AAA into the rotation places an unnecessary burden on the young arms in the rotation and in the BP. Could Nova suck ? Sure he can but he's a more likely candidate to eat innings than those others.

• Like 1

On this note, there is no way in hell that Santana should get starts over Banuelos at the beginning of the season. Banuelos has shown he can miss bats in ST, they should at least give him April to show what he has.  Why trade for the guy if you're not going to give him a chance to start???

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

On this note, there is no way in hell that Santana should get starts over Banuelos at the beginning of the season. Banuelos has shown he can miss bats in ST, they should at least give him April to show what he has.  Why trade for the guy if you're not going to give him a chance to start???

Because Santana has proven himself as a #2 to #3 pitcher at the major leagues and that could have huge trade value at the deadline.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because Santana has proven himself as a #2 to #3 pitcher at the major leagues and that could have huge trade value at the deadline.

Santana is that guy when he's throwing 94-95 mph, which he's not currently. The last time he had that kind of stuff he was good, then got busted for roids. After getting off the juice, he's lost velo again. Santana and Nova should be fighting for that last rotation spot, with the other guy going to LR. Banuelos has shown enough to get a look, IMO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman