Gio Gonzalez

NCsoxfan

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Santana is that guy when he's throwing 94-95 mph, which he's not currently. The last time he had that kind of stuff he was good, then got busted for roids. After getting off the juice, he's lost velo again. 

He is also coming off of a pitching injury last year that absolutely sapped him.  He has also made zero real pitching appearances this spring. He has one outing in a back field game so far.

The irony of this is that Banuelos is also not throwing as hard as he used to throw.  The odds right now are that Banuelos breaks camp with team and Santana stays until April 10th when the Sox need a 5th starter for the 1st time.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He is also coming off of a pitching injury last year that absolutely sapped him.  He has also made zero real pitching appearances this spring. He has one outing in a back field game so far.

The irony of this is that Banuelos is also not throwing as hard as he used to throw.  The odds right now are that Banuelos breaks camp with team and Santana stays until April 10th when the Sox need a 5th starter for the 1st time.

Oh I know Banuelos isn't the mid-90s guy anymore but he's still missing bats with the fastball, which says that his stuff is good enough, even if it isn't at the level of when he was the #13 prospect in baseball. Banuelos being left handed certainly helps him. 93 mph from a lefty is still nothing to scoff at if the hitters have trouble with it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Oh I know Banuelos isn't the mid-90s guy anymore but he's still missing bats with the fastball, which says that his stuff is good enough, even if it isn't at the level of when he was the #13 prospect in baseball. Banuelos being left handed certainly helps him. 93 mph from a lefty is still nothing to scoff at if the hitters have trouble with it. 

If this is being based solely off of spring training appearances, this isn't being done right.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this is being based solely off of spring training appearances, this is being done right.

He's a complete wild card, with no MLB experience. What evidence do we have other than hitters are having trouble with him in the spring? I just think he's shown enough to get 4-5 starts. If he sucks, they can DFA him. Just give him a look. He's 28, but he has more of a future than Santana or Nova. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's a complete wild card, with no MLB experience. What evidence do we have other than hitters are having trouble with him in the spring? I just think he's shown enough to get 4-5 starts. If he sucks, they can DFA him. Just give him a look. He's 28, but he has more of a future than Santana or Nova. 

The odds of Santana working back to his old self are way higher than Banuelos becoming a thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The odds of Santana working back to his old self are way higher than Banuelos becoming a thing. 

Either way both guys should make the team. If they don't want to give Banuelos the shot first, fine. They're in a weird position. Deadline rentals for aging pitchers don't pay off like they used to. Do you really think that anyone will give the Sox much for Santana should he pitch well? I don't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Either way both guys should make the team. If they don't want to give Banuelos the shot first, fine. They're in a weird position. Deadline rentals for aging pitchers don't pay off like they used to. Do you really think that anyone will give the Sox much for Santana should he pitch well? I don't. 

Pitching at the deadline still pays off.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Santana...

Cooper will have Nova pitching like an ace in no time. The bottom line was that fans could not bear to watch any more Shields or M Gonzalez while Giolito trails the whole league. What a sorry story. 

Hahn paid $8 million and a prospect for Nova and $4.3 million for Santana

Gio is signing with the Yankees for $3 million and incentives.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1107797969913475075

All Hahn had to do was sign Machado and Gio and people would be happy.  What a terrible offseason.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1107797969913475075?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

All Hahn had to do was sign Machado and Gio and people would be happy.  What a terrible offseason.

At least Santana is somewhat in line with the market if heathy.  Nova is a gross overpay at this point.

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

Even Kimbrel if it made sense...sign and flip, just spending money for half season which could be leveraged into at least one top 50~75 prospect if not Gleyber Torres or Francisco Mejia.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

It’s hard to fully grasp sometimes just how badly they blew it this offseason. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

It’s hard to fully grasp sometimes just how badly they blew it this offseason. 

It’s frustrating that a lot of fans seemingly don’t care enough to still be angry. To this day, I’m still shocked Hahn hasn’t been fired. If you were purposefully trying to have a bad offseason....I don’t think you could do as poorly as he did. Can’t wait to hear his justifications tomorrow on red line radio

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s frustrating that a lot of fans seemingly don’t care enough to still be angry. To this day, I’m still shocked Hahn hasn’t been fired. If you were purposefully trying to have a bad offseason....I don’t think you could do as poorly as he did. Can’t wait to hear his justifications tomorrow on red line radio

No question, it was a shitty offseason based on what they were trying to accomplish- Manny Machado. It sucks. It’s over, and the goal is still the same...figure out a way to sustained success 2021-2025. If they get to a point where it’s clear that window of winning won’t happen, that’s when everyone needs to go. Everyone.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

You do remember when he called it a good offseason right?  Said his colleagues told him so.

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hahn misjudged the market big time.  He will probably receive an extension.

I think Hahns contract runs thru the 2019 season. If 2019 becomes another 100 loss season I would like to think Hahn won't be back in 2020.

22 minutes ago, flavum said:

No question, it was a shitty offseason based on what they were trying to accomplish- Manny Machado. It sucks. It’s over, and the goal is still the same...figure out a way to sustained success 2021-2025. If they get to a point where it’s clear that window of winning won’t happen, that’s when everyone needs to go. Everyone.

Just set the budget at $125-150 million and draw random names from the free agency pool at MLB traderumors (you could use a random number generator to pair with each player) and you'd do better than Hahn 9 or 9.5 times out of 10.

Or throwing darts while blindfolded at various free agents' baseball cards on a wall.

It's ironic one of the reasons Hahn got the job was his son picking the right flip of the coin in 2008 for the Blackout Game...maybe if we get blown out in Minnesota, the rebuild begins much much earlier instead of playing it out through 2012 and then extending into 2014/15.

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I think Hahns contract runs thru the 2019 season. If 2019 becomes another 100 loss season I would like to think Hahn won't be back in 2020.

What about 65-69 wins?  70-72?  I guess it depends on how the core pieces look going forward, more so than the actual record.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Even Kimbrel if it made sense...sign and flip, just spending money for half season which could be leveraged into at least one top 50~75 prospect if not Gleyber Torres or Francisco Mejia.

I don't think those are realistic trades for Kimbrel.  

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can’t believe he has the balls to take interviews at this point.  His offseason was terrible.

He overpaid Jon Jay.  CarGo only got half the guaranteed money.  He took on Alonso’s bloated salary and helped the Indians cut payroll.  Nova is an obvious overpay at $8 million if Gio only got $3 million.  He signed a bunch of mediocre unnecessary players for $50 million and missed out on his primary target because of $50 million guaranteed.  The irony is hilarious.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I can’t believe he has the balls to take interviews at this point.  His offseason was terrible.

He overpaid Jon Jay.  CarGo only got half the guaranteed money.  He took on Alonso’s bloated salary and helped out the Indians.  Nova is an obvious overpay at $8 million if Gio only got $3 million.  He signed a bunch of mediocre unnecessary players for $50 million and missed out on his primary target because of $50 million guaranteed.  The irony is hilarious.

They could have signed Gio Gonzalez, Santana and CarGo and had a better offseason than what they did. 

Giving away a prospect for Nova is inexcusable at this point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1