Jump to content
NCsoxfan

Gio Gonzalez

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They could have signed Gio Gonzalez, Santana and CarGo and had a better offseason than what they did. 

Agreed, and that would have cost $9.3 million in total base salaries.  Remember when Hahn’s strength was supposed to be in signing players to good contracts?  He basically burned money in the fireplace this offseason.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't think those are realistic trades for Kimbrel.  

For Brad Hand and Adam Cimber?  Mejia was a fleecing.  but someone will be desperate for best closer in baseball at the trade deadline, you can guarantee it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d honestly rather have Jay than Cargo.

Yep. Going to post for the 50th time this offseason that Jay is a nice fit for this team regardless of everything elss.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yep. Going to post for the 50th time this offseason that Jay is a nice fit for this team regardless of everything elss.

And I will continue to ask — why?  If you miss out on Machado and Harper, this team has no chance at competing this season and Jay was signed for one year.  Why waste $4 million on Jay instead of simply playing admittedly awful Adam Engel?  To improve from 74 wins to 75?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d honestly rather have Jay than Cargo.

CarGo's going to sell a lot more tickets than John Jay...unless there are a ton of closet Cardinals' fans in Chicagoland that have fond memories of his heyday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

CarGo's going to sell a lot more tickets than John Jay...unless there are a ton of closet Cardinals' fans in Chicagoland that have fond memories of his heyday.

No one in the world is buying White Sox tickets for Carlos fucking Gonzalez...you’re taking this marketing stuff way too far Caulfield.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No one in the world is buying White Sox tickets for Carlos fucking Gonzalez...you’re taking this marketing stuff way too far Caulfield.

 I'd still rather see him than Jay...baseball is first and foremost an entertainment business, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No one in the world is buying White Sox tickets for Carlos fucking Gonzalez...you’re taking this marketing stuff way too far Caulfield.

Seriously like a week ago people were pissed off at the IDEA of signing Carlos Gonzalez.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seriously like a week ago people were pissed off at the IDEA of signing Carlos Gonzalez.

Objectively, forget about Machado...who would you rather see play from a fan standpoint?

You can argue that Jay’s defense in RF or CF is more valuable than Carlos’ offense, but it’s not a slam dunk either way.

It doesn’t matter at all at this point, anyway, but Gio, CarGo, Kimbrel and Machado would have gotten the fanbase absolutely pumped.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

And I will continue to ask — why?  If you miss out on Machado and Harper, this team has no chance at competing this season and Jay was signed for one year.  Why waste $4 million on Jay instead of simply playing admittedly awful Adam Engel?  To improve from 74 wins to 75?

Pretty simple and nothing to do with total wins. We needed a someone who could lead off, someone with a decent OBP, and he had to play CFer as it's the only spot where no one would be blocking anyone of even remote relevance. Jay checks every box there. The fact that hes a stop gap doesnt hurt as we do have some interesting CF prospects, just not now.

If Adam Engel is your every day CFer, Renteria is not batting him leadoff. Moncada and Anderson hit lead-off in 135 games last year....something they should never be doing basically (Anderson especially) and wont be on the next successful team. Jay relieves that and places two of our more developmental players into more proper roles.

If we spent a million or two too much on him, who cares? We weren't spending that money anyways. The more egregious overpays were pretty much everyone else added. No one should care about that kind of money or the blocking of Adam Engel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orlando said:

If Dallas Kuechel signs a minor league contract....

He'll sign an MLB deal but go to the minors for probably close to a month tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Objectively, forget about Machado...who would you rather see play from a fan standpoint?

You can argue that Jay’s defense in RF or CF is more valuable than Carlos’ offense, but it’s not a slam dunk either way.

It doesn’t matter at all at this point, anyway, but Gio, CarGo, Kimbrel and Machado would have gotten the fanbase absolutely pumped.

From my point of view it was always whale or rebuild.  Carlos Gonzalez was never the right answer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

From my point of view it was always whale or rebuild.  Carlos Gonzalez was never the right answer.

Yep. All we can hope for is guys like Alonso, Jay, Castillo, Nova, and relievers are good enough to deal throughout the season.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gio to sign with the Yanks on a $3M deal...

do we not have $3M in the coffers? seems like Gio is a low risk, high return type of player at this point...

hmmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

And I will continue to ask — why?  If you miss out on Machado and Harper, this team has no chance at competing this season and Jay was signed for one year.  Why waste $4 million on Jay instead of simply playing admittedly awful Adam Engel?  To improve from 74 wins to 75?

Why do you or anybody care so much about wasting Jerry's money ? We should want it spent. It's not like it goes in a fund to help the team in coming years. You all act like it's less money to spend on your Xmas present from Uncle Jerry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

 

That is a really nice deal for both parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

 

That changes it significantly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

43 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why do you or anybody care so much about wasting Jerry's money ? We should want it spent. It's not like it goes in a fund to help the team in coming years. You all act like it's less money to spend on your Xmas present from Uncle Jerry.

I want it spent on good players, not the used up turds that Hahn signs with the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

 

I want it spent on good players, not the used up turds that Hahn signs with the money.

Outside of Machado everyone else this year was going to be a turd anyway. Well except Herrera and Colome  still needed them since trading relievers is the only way the Sox think they can add a little more young talent and to protect the young arms from too many high stress innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Pretty simple and nothing to do with total wins. We needed a someone who could lead off, someone with a decent OBP, and he had to play CFer as it's the only spot where no one would be blocking anyone of even remote relevance. Jay checks every box there. The fact that hes a stop gap doesnt hurt as we do have some interesting CF prospects, just not now.

If Adam Engel is your every day CFer, Renteria is not batting him leadoff. Moncada and Anderson hit lead-off in 135 games last year....something they should never be doing basically (Anderson especially) and wont be on the next successful team. Jay relieves that and places two of our more developmental players into more proper roles.

If we spent a million or two too much on him, who cares? We weren't spending that money anyways. The more egregious overpays were pretty much everyone else added. No one should care about that kind of money or the blocking of Adam Engel

Sound baseball reasons don't fly around here much these days though I do disagree with with the overpays being pretty much everyone else since there are also sound baseball reasons for players like Nova, Colome and Herrera also.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Both Santana and banuelos will get opportunities to make the rotation this season. This is nothing to worry about. 

Stop making sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×