Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bmags

Zack Collins at First Base

Recommended Posts

This comes after a BA chat where Kyle Glaser said he has not come across anyone in baseball not in the white Sox org who thinks Collins can be a catcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It may well be his future but is also gets he and Seby into the line up at the same time. 

Which Rick asserted this, Hahn or Renteria?  The odds of Zavala actually playing 60+ games at catcher on our next playoff team aren’t exactly high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Which Rick asserted this, Hahn or Renteria?  The odds of Zavala actually playing 60+ games at catcher on our next playoff team aren’t exactly high.

Again,

 

Wat?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again,

 

Wat?

Please stop quoting posters many of us have on ignore. It really lowers the quality of Soxtalk for all of us. 

Thx

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The odds of Zavala actually playing 60+ games at catcher on our next playoff team aren’t exactly high.

What? Why? And how/why did you compute 60 games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again,

 

Wat?

Okay, odds of signing Grandal next year, because who else is going to play catcher besides Grandal that would be able to improve on Narvaez’s numbers?

It seems like the plan is to hope for a comeback from McCann, because Castillo is too now to count on for 2020/21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony said:

Please stop quoting posters many of us have on ignore. It really lowers the quality of Soxtalk for all of us. 

Thx

That’s all fine and good.  

If you want to publicly campaign to block or ignore someone, more power to you, but it’s petty.

I think there are quite a few posters who have never blocked anyone.  But how about you publish a list of the Top Ten most blocked/ignored posters, surely that will make me want to run away and hide in exile on a Padres’ board, lol.

Let’s see these purported stats if you’re going to make an assertion like that (who is “most,” the moderating team?)...it’s only fair when you make a blanket or general statement.

How about this, all those who have me on ignore/block, I’d be happy to return the same courtesy,

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s all fine and good.  

If you want to publicly campaign to block or ignore someone, more power to you, but it’s petty.

I think there are quite a few posters who have never blocked anyone.  But how about you publish a list of the Top Ten most blocked/ignored posters, surely that will make me want to run away and hide in exile on a Padres’ board, lol.

Let’s see these purported stats if you’re going to make an assertion like that (who is “most,” the moderating team?)...it’s only fair when you make a blanket or general statement.

How about this, all those who have me on ignore/block, I’d be happy to return the same courtesy,

No, petty is going from thread to thread posting unrelated nonsense and ruining them for no good reason.  This and the 8 myths thread are great examples. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No, petty is going from thread to thread posting unrelated nonsense and ruining them for no good reason.  This and the 8 myths thread are great examples. 

Find one scout not related to the White Sox, Hahn or KW professionally who believe Collins will stick at catcher.

And I put your thread back on track by supporting the thesis with another secondary source.

I mean, c’mon...we really want Zavala and Collins in the same lineup when we already have 12 DH’s and corner outfielders on this team?  Unless Collins can play 1b at above-average proficiency defensively, his bat at that position won’t make up for it.  Which means best case scenario is a platoon DH.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s all fine and good.  

If you want to publicly campaign to block or ignore someone, more power to you, but it’s petty.

I think there are quite a few posters who have never blocked anyone.  But how about you publish a list of the Top Ten most blocked/ignored posters, surely that will make me want to run away and hide in exile on a Padres’ board, lol.

Let’s see these purported stats if you’re going to make an assertion like that (who is “most,” the moderating team?)...it’s only fair when you make a blanket or general statement.

How about this, all those who have me on ignore/block, Id be happy to return the same courtesy,

🙋‍♂

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although fully expected this is sad.  Looks like yet another failed 1st round draft choice.  And with his swing and miss issues probably will be nothing more than a back up at 1st or as a DH.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Find one scout not related to the White Sox, Hahn or KW professionally who believe Collins will stick at catcher.

And I put your thread back on track by supporting the thesis with another secondary source.

I mean, c’mon...we really want Zavala and Collins in the same lineup when we already have 12 DH’s and corner outfielders on this team?  Unless Collins can play 1b at above-average proficiency defensively, his bat at that position won’t make up for it.  Which means best case scenario is a platoon DH.

I don’t understand your disdain for Zavala, seems like he made some serious progress defensively last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big zavala fan tbh. Athletic guy by all accounts, and it sounds like he can stick at catcher. Wasn't he in the OF before catching? Has some good pop to his bat as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm a big zavala fan tbh. Athletic guy by all accounts, and it sounds like he can stick at catcher. Wasn't he in the OF before catching? Has some good pop to his bat as well

At a very minimum, he seems like he has a decent shot of being a solid weak side of a catching platoon, which is why I’m surprised Caulfield is hating on him so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kid has little to no value as a first baseman. Best case scenario he is a beggars version of Adam Dunn.

Isn't Hostetler on record saying that the Sox had this dude as the number #1 player on their draft board in 2016?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta learn if he can play first, ideally sooner than later. Lots of value in a LH hitter with power who can play 1B catch and DH. Great roster flexibility not to mention lots of talk about Rutschman (Catcher) and Vaughn (1B) as draft prospects. If Collins is a viable 1B option, it might influence who we select. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Flash said:

Gotta learn if he can play first, ideally sooner than later. Lots of value in a LH hitter with power who can play 1B catch and DH. Great roster flexibility not to mention lots of talk about Rutschman (Catcher) and Vaughn (1B) as draft prospects. If Collins is a viable 1B option, it might influence who we select. 

U serious dude? Collins should have no bearing whatsoever on the Sox first round pick this year. The Sox should be taking best player available at #3 no matter what.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zavala is a nice prospect but he won't be blocking collins. Zavala is rated a 40 fv by fangraphs, that is basically a backup catcher. Both have contact issues but collins has the pop and plate discipline to work around this and still be an above average bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rutschman will be gone by the time the Sox pick at #3.    The second highest rated catcher is Shea Langeliers.  In his youtube videos he looks like a Josh Phegley, at best.

The Sox do not need a 1B/DH at all so I think they should pass on Vaughn.   Given that, there is no clear choice at the #3 slot.  I might pick C.J. Abrams.

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tray said:

Rutschman will be gone by the time the Sox pick at #3.    The second highest rated catcher is Shea Langeliers.  In his youtube videos he looks like a Josh Phegley, at best.

The Sox do not need a 1B/DH at all so I think they should pass on Vaughn.   Given that, there is no clear choice at the #3 slot.  I might pick C.J. Abrams.

   

 

Witt Jr. is the consensus high school pick over Abrams at this point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I saw in an Athletic article that since Collins and Zavala were both going to AAA that each said they were willing to play first so both could be in the lineup.  If so it makes sense to get some practice there.  It has been said nowhere that he is moving there permanently.  When other teams do this, they are praised for enhancing positional flexibility.

Edited by BamaDoc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

I think I saw in an Athletic article that since Collins and Zavala were both going to AAA that each said they were willing to play first so both could be in the lineup.  If so it makes sense to get some practice there.  It has been said nowhere that he is moving there permanently.

So here's the thing for me. I've been pretty conservative in being worried about Collins moving positions as I have found projections of defensive liabilities to often be way overblown and less informative than hitting and other tools.

My stance was that I'd only start to be worried that literally nobody outside the sox org feels he can be a catcher when the white sox start to move him off catcher.

So sure, it's just part time for playing time with both on roster. But if they were really still prioritizing his defensive development, I'd just have him DH on seby days, have him work with a coordinator calling game plan in the dugout while on defense, and give him drills on drills on those days. Instead he'll be focusing on being a 1b and maybe that will help in a different way, but I'm skeptical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×