Zack Collins at First Base

bmags

So, Keith Law says he can throw and calls a good game but he is a below average receiver. "if" the big leagues go to an automated strike zone it will limit his receiving liability will also placing a greater value on his batters eye. So this is one rule change that could have a significant impact on Collins career. Also, when Law isn't as negative about his D as our fans are, it makes you wonder.

10 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

So, Keith Law says he can throw and calls a good game but he is a below average receiver. "if" the big leagues go to an automated strike zone it will limit his receiving liability will also placing a greater value on his batters eye. So this is one rule change that could have a significant impact on Collins career. Also, when Law isn't as negative about his D as our fans are, it makes you wonder.

From what I saw of him last year, he didn’t look noticeably bad behind the plate, but that doesn’t necessarily mean much and it’s really hard to tell much from the camera angles they use on the MILB TV app.  I remain skeptical simply based on the vast amount of reports criticizing his defense, but am keeping a small sliver of hope he can figure his shit out this year.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

From what I saw of him last year, he didn’t look noticeably bad behind the plate, but that doesn’t necessarily mean much and it’s really hard to tell much from the camera angles they use on the MILB TV app.  I remain skeptical simply based on the vast amount of reports criticizing his defense, but am keeping a small sliver of hope he can figure his shit out this year.

I often think if they don't have it by now they never will. I don't think this organization is good at developing players who are not good at catching a baseball.  They sure seem to draft them though and try them at risky positions.   If defense isn't there by college I don't think the minors will make them improve.

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I guess the best case scenario for Collins is to be pre-White Sox Adam Dunn, which is still a useful player. Idk if he has that much power though, but I've heard he might. 

Adam Dunn's minor league numbers are so much more impressive than Zack's. I just don't see it happening. 

Edited by ron883

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Adam Dunn's minor league numbers are so much more impressive than Zach's. I just don't see it happening. 

I don't like Collins, but we'll see. He can make up for a .220 ish batting average if he hits 25+ HR and gets on base at a .375+ clip while sticking at C, but if he doesn't stick at C he's probably not an MLB player. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 3/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, ron883 said:

Adam Dunn's minor league numbers are so much more impressive than Zack's. I just don't see it happening. 

adam dunn was in the majors 2 years ago compared to collins. it's catcher or nothing for ZC.

• Like 1

I still think Collins could be a Mike Napoli / Evan Gattis / Carlos Santana early career type player that is a part time catcher.  Maybe catches twice a week, DHs twice a week and plays first twice a week.  Plenty of value there.  I fully support the Sox continuing to allow him to catch.  There is no reason not to, even if he is ends up being a part time catcher.  You can always pull the plug on catching at a later dates - makes no sense to completely remove that possibility at this point. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I guess the best case scenario for Collins is to be pre-White Sox Adam Dunn, which is still a useful player. Idk if he has that much power though, but I've heard he might. 

Dunn was pretty near a HOFer.  And if he hadn't completely collapsed during his tenure with the White Sox he may well have been one.

33 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Dunn was pretty near a HOFer.  And if he hadn't completely collapsed during his tenure with the White Sox he may well have been one.

Hilarious to recall that pre 2011 the reputation of Dunn was just how consistent he was. 

On 3/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Pre-White Sox Dunn was just "a useful player"? No, pre-White Sox Dunn was on pace for 600+ homers and a spot in the HOF.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hilarious to recall that pre 2011 the reputation of Dunn was just how consistent he was. 

To be fair, he was. Then he came here, got his appendix taken out and forgot how to hit (although his 2012 season was more in line with his usual 40 bomb, 100 RBI, 100 BB,  150+ SO seasons. He just didn't really hit above the mendoza line and K'd more than usual).

He was great in OOTP leagues though.

Edited by SoxAce

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

To be fair, he was. Then he came here, got his appendix taken out and forgot how to hit (although his 2012 season was more in line with his usual 40 bomb, 100 RBI, 100 BB,  150+ SO seasons. He just didn't really hit above the mendoza line and K'd more than usual).

He was great in OOTP leagues though.

Wasn't there rumors that he had some serious personal issues going on around the time that were being kept hush-hush? I thought I remember hearing something about his kid or something along the lines of that.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, kitekrazy said:

I often think if they don't have it by now they never will. I don't think this organization is good at developing players who are not good at catching a baseball.  They sure seem to draft them though and try them at risky positions.   If defense isn't there by college I don't think the minors will make them improve.

People said the same thing about Tyler flowers. He turned into one of the better defensive catchers for several seasons after being considered an offense only catching prospect.

in my experience, defense tends to develop much more slowly for catchers, likely due to the overall complexity of the position  But if they have the right attitude and work ethic even lost causes can become at the least passable