2019 Minor League Rotations

Chicago White Sox

Given the questions surrounding our major league rotation as well as the rash of injuries that have hit some of our pitching prospects, I thought it would be a fun exercise to project out our minor league rotations and discuss the overall strengths & weaknesses of the system.

Here are my current projections.  I’m sure I’ve got many of these wrong but wanted to put a baseline out there so we can debate what’s right or wrong.

Charlotte:

1. Dylan Cease
  2. Jordan Stephens
  3. Jordan Guerrero*
  4. Spencer Adams
  5. Donn Roach

Birmingham:

1. Kodi Medeiros*
  2. Jimmy Lambert
  3. Bernardo Flores*
  4. Luis Martinez
  5. Tanner Banks*

Winston-Salem:

1. Alec Hansen
  2. Lincoln Henzman
  3. Blake Battenfield
  4. John Parke*
  5. Kade McClure

Kannapolis:

1. Konner Pilkington*
  2. Jonathan Stiever
  3. Codi Heuer
  4. Taylor Varnell*
  5. Jason Bilous
Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

Charlotte:

1. Dylan Cease
  2. Jordan Stephens
  3. Jordan Guerrero*
  4. Spencer Adams
  5. Ervin Santana or Manny Banuelos*

Birmingham:

1. Kodi Medeiros*
  2. Jimmy Lambert
  3. Bernardo Flores*
  4. Matt Tomshaw*
  5. Tanner Banks*

Winston-Salem:

1. Alec Hansen
  2. Lincoln Henzman
  3. Blake Battenfield
  4. John Parke*
  5. Kade McClure

Kannapolis:

1. Konnor Pilkington*
  2. Jonathan Stiever
  3. Codi Heuer
  4. Taylor Varnell*
  5. Jason Bilous

(FYI Luis Martinez was released)

I agreed on almost all of yours, except Charlotte #5 and BHAM #4.

2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Thanks for sharing.  Thought Tomshaw was gone and didn’t realize Martinez had been released.  Also, good call on the Charlotte #5 spot as there’s a good chance it’s Santana.

Birmingham will definitely be the most interesting rotation once Hansen is promoted.  I’m a huge Lambert fan and really think Flores has a chance to make it as a major league starter despite his low K rate.  Even Medeiros should be a fun guy to follow.

Winston-Salem to me is far and away the most boring, although I’m excited to see how McClure looks this year.  He is way more interesting to me than Henzman, but I may be in the minority there.

I do feel that Kannapolis rotation could be a bit of a sleeper.  Really high on Stiever and am banking that the Sox’s optimism in Pilkington is warranted.  We really need one of those guys to step up and cement themselves as a top 10 system guy.

4 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Charlotte:

1. Dylan Cease
  2. Jordan Stephens
  3. Jordan Guerrero*
  4. Spencer Adams
  5. Ervin Santana or Manny Banuelos*

Birmingham:

1. Kodi Medeiros*
  2. Jimmy Lambert
  3. Bernardo Flores*
  4. Matt Tomshaw*
  5. Tanner Banks*

Winston-Salem:

1. Alec Hansen
  2. Lincoln Henzman
  3. Blake Battenfield
  4. John Parke*
  5. Kade McClure

Kannapolis:

1. Konnor Pilkington*
  2. Jonathan Stiever
  3. Codi Heuer
  4. Taylor Varnell*
  5. Jason Bilous

When was this? Shame, believe he was Paddy's first sign

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks for sharing.  Thought Tomshaw was gone and didn’t realize Martinez had been released.  Also, good call on the Charlotte #5 spot as there’s a good chance it’s Santana.

Tomshaw was gone but he was brought back again just recently.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Given the questions surrounding our major league rotation as well as the rash of injuries that have hit some of our pitching prospects, I thought it would be a fun exercise to project out our minor league rotations and discuss the overall strengths & weaknesses of the system.

Here are my current projections.  I’m sure I’ve got many of these wrong but wanted to put a baseline out there so we can debate what’s right or wrong.

Charlotte:

1. Dylan Cease
  2. Jordan Stephens
  3. Jordan Guerrero*
  4. Spencer Adams
  5. Donn Roach

Birmingham:

1. Kodi Medeiros*
  2. Jimmy Lambert
  3. Bernardo Flores*
  4. Luis Martinez
  5. Tanner Banks*

Winston-Salem:

1. Alec Hansen
  2. Lincoln Henzman
  3. Blake Battenfield
  4. John Parke*
  5. Kade McClure

Kannapolis:

1. Konner Pilkington*
  2. Jonathan Stiever
  3. Codi Heuer
  4. Taylor Varnell*
  5. Jason Bilous

Outside of Dylan Cease, this list leaves a ton to be desired. It is not very deep and extremely lacking in high upside arms.

I suspect the Sox will be looking to buy a TOR arm or two in FA over the next few years.

• Thanks 1

Any idea when the minor league teams set their rotation order? In order for me to see Cease pitch when I am down in Indy in April, I need him to be their #3 or #4 starter. I'm hoping they let Adams and Stephens take those top 2 spots? I don't know how much minor league teams "reward" their returning starters over the pitchers who are newly added to their roster.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Any idea when the minor league teams set their rotation order? In order for me to see Cease pitch when I am down in Indy in April, I need him to be their #3 or #4 starter. I'm hoping they let Adams and Stephens take those top 2 spots? I don't know how much minor league teams "reward" their returning starters over the pitchers who are newly added to their roster.

In the minors it's not uncommon for the team's most prospective pitchers to be #3 (at least at the lower levels), not sure why that is, but frankly way too early to predict

After last year with Kopech, Adolfo, Hansen's struggles, Dunning's injury, Robert's injury, Moncada's struggles, Burger's injury, Basabe's injury (I have to be missing a few), we really need some good luck this year....That would really be great if Hansen can return to 2017 form and Cease dominated...There are plenty of other interesting/talented arms in this system, but none with ceilings like theirs

14 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

After last year with Kopech, Adolfo, Hansen's struggles, Dunning's injury, Robert's injury, Moncada's struggles, Burger's injury, Basabe's injury (I have to be missing a few), we really need some good luck this year....That would really be great if Hansen can return to 2017 form and Cease dominated...There are plenty of other interesting/talented arms in this system, but none with ceilings like theirs

I'm hoping all this internal smoke around Jimmy Lambert plays out and he can sort of fill in for the "Solid but not TOR" Dane Dunning role. In the 1 time I saw Lambert pitch, and it was this ST, he reminded of Jon Garland. Hopefully he can play that type of role.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm hoping all this internal smoke around Jimmy Lambert plays out and he can sort of fill in for the "Solid but not TOR" Dane Dunning role. In the 1 time I saw Lambert pitch, and it was this ST, he reminded of Jon Garland. Hopefully he can play that type of role.

Don't see him being as highly thought of as Dunning but Garland 2.0 would be major

Edited by ChiSoxJon

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

100% agree, we really need Lambert to have a big year and able to be a depth piece heading into 2020.  I fully expect the 2020 rotation to be Rodon, Lopez, Kopech, Cease along with a veteran via free agency.  If Lambert can be the #6 guy down in AAA, that would help offset the loss of Dunning, who will still need development / recovery time.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:01 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was a told by a White Sox prospect a couple years ago that the Minor League rotations are not set like the Major Leagues. A lot of it just has to do with how they finish Spring Training games. So Cease could be the #1 or he could be #5.