FS: White Sox Should Be Pleased With 3rd Pick

Y2Jimmy0

Vaughn is a short stout player who can box out further with age and become a tank.   The Sox already drafted Burgur who is in the same category. In addition, the WS have several 1B/DH prospects (Burgur , the Micker, possibly Eloy if when he no longer has enough wheels for the OF).

Not sure who the best available player will be at #3 in a Draft where only the first two slots are consensus picks.  And contrary to the Title of the article, I think the Sox wish they had #1 or #2 rather than #3,

18 minutes ago, tray said:

Vaughn is a short stout player who can box out further with age and become a tank.   The Sox already drafted Burgur who is in the same category. In addition, the WS have several 1B/DH prospects (Burgur , the Micker, possibly Eloy if when he no longer has enough wheels for the OF).

Not sure who the best available player will be at #3 in a Draft where only the first two slots are consensus picks.  And contrary to the Title of the article, I think the Sox wish they had #1 or #2 rather than #3,

I wrote that a three player consensus is forming. They have the 3rd pick. Of course they'd prefer the 1st overall pick. Taking the player left on the board isn't a bad outcome by any means though. 

Finally, a topic (and thread) to be excited about! We're going to take our lumps this season, but I'm excited to watch the draft boards as we get closer to the picks. 

Great write-up, sounds like we've got some exciting players to choose from in what should be an easy decision to make when it gets to our pick.

It will truly be interesting to see what happens if both Adley and Vaughn go off the board at 1 and 2. How confident are we in the White Sox actually selecting a prep player? I wouldn't be shocked at a Misner or Stott selection over Witt based off recent organizational draft trends.

15 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

It will truly be interesting to see what happens if both Adley and Vaughn go off the board at 1 and 2. How confident are we in the White Sox actually selecting a prep player? I wouldn't be shocked at a Misner or Stott selection over Witt based off recent organizational draft trends.

I don't think there are recent trends to go off of here. When have the Sox recently avoided the best player available in the first round because he was a prep player?

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Great article. Looking forward to draft coverage this year more than ever since...you know.

Write-ups were great.

So let me ask you...it's early but lets say Rutschman and Vaughn are off the board...what will the Sox do? 

22 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yeah for sure. I could totally see them taking Misner in that scenario. I also know that the Sox like Nick Lodolo (I'm not sure they'd take him at #3) and the front office recently went to UNLV to see Stott 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah for sure. I could totally see them taking Misner in that scenario. I also know that the Sox like Nick Lodolo (I'm not sure they'd take him at #3) and the front office recently went to UNLV to see Stott 

I kind of wouldn't mind Lodolo shoving his way into top 5 consideration, but it seems so far that the general consensus is mid first rounder. Fangraphs just moved him to the top college pitcher today in their board update. 13th overall. Not that there is much competition outside of Manoah.

Edited by DirtySox

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We don’t need any college players with oodles of athleticism but extensive swing and miss profiles...

I'm not sure I would consider Misner to have an extensive swing and miss profile. 16% strikeout rate isn't abhorrent. Especially as a corner bat profile with his power potential.

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm not sure I would consider Misner to have an extensive swing and miss profile. 16% strikeout rate isn't abhorrent. Especially as a corner bat profile with his power potential.

There’s another issue, if he can handle CF, his stock dramatically differs from a corner spot.

We’ll have to watch his K rates in marquee weekend matchups, where the SEC should have much better frontlinecstarting pitching than the PAC 10, for example.

39 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So let me ask you...it's early but lets say Rutschman and Vaughn are off the board...what will the Sox do? 

Yeah it's an interesting question.

I think given sox preference for college players under Hostetler your baseline assumption should be sox will still go college.

If I were to go just based on profile and said there was a player in the premier baseball conference and team with plus plus power and more walks than strikeouts, but is a corner outfielder, that seems like a sox pick (this applies to Bleday or Misner), you'd have to say that's the sox pick right? 

But, I think the college picks aren't as prescriptive as we think. I believe, in my charitable, sweet kind heart, that Hostetler actually is trying to be innovative. That he values the trackman data and has been so college heavy because they have (likely OVER) valued that data set and it consistently made the college players with it more valued on their "boards" than high schoolers.

And with that I say if it does appear that Witt is a tier above, talent wise, the next group. That he doesn't sink at all, gets more positive reports in whatever good competition he sees, that the white sox will draft witt.

But if witt gets injured or some negative reports come out and it blurs, I think sox go college.

That's my psychoanalysis of the chicago white sox.

Basically, if the draft was today, the sox would take Witt. But who knows if things blend.

I don't really have a grasp on Stott so I'd leave that up to some better draftheads than me.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We still have a few months to let it play out, but Witt seems to be the highest ranking guy right now.  We'll see if that lasts.  I know the "college bat" thing has become its own beast, but we also know the Sox have been willing to draft high school kids, they just seem to get picked right before our pick, forcing us to change course.

Witt concerns me with how he’s always out in front of the ball. 2-3 years of video and that flaw in his mechanics hasn’t been corrected. He is going to have trouble with off speed with major league arms. Yes I know he’s almost 19 , but it’s a big flaw that needs to be fixed. 

Edited by PolishPrince34

12 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Yeah it isn't bad albeit you have to consider college K rates are lower. It is not unusual to have a 10 points higher K rate in pro ball than college.

I think you have to watch him closely against the better college pitchers.

No way in hell they should be pleased with Bobby Witt Jr but that's who I'm hoping they select.  If they come out of this Rick Hahn reign of terror with one high ceiling potential superstar it would at least be something to look forward to.  Hahn's time as GM has been an unmitigated disaster and it's past time to start doing things differently.  Stop taking the "safe" guy and take the best damn player on the board.