FS: White Sox Should Be Pleased With 3rd Pick

Y2Jimmy0

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No way in hell they should be pleased with Bobby Witt Jr but that's who I'm hoping they select.  If they come out of this Rick Hahn reign of terror with one high ceiling potential superstar it would at least be something to look forward to.  Hahn's time as GM has been an unmitigated disaster and it's past time to start doing things differently.  Stop taking the "safe" guy and take the best damn player on the board. 

Amen! I don't think there is anyway in hell that Hostetler and company take a high schooler at #3 though. They will do what they have done every year since 2015 and take the best college player available in the first round.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No way in hell they should be pleased with Bobby Witt Jr but that's who I'm hoping they select.  If they come out of this Rick Hahn reign of terror with one high ceiling potential superstar it would at least be something to look forward to.  Hahn's time as GM has been an unmitigated disaster and it's past time to start doing things differently.  Stop taking the "safe" guy and take the best damn player on the board. 

They have multiple high ceiling potential superstars in their farm system. They have an opportunity to add another one in June. Their drafts have been questionable under Hostetler but the jury is still out on all of those picks. Why would they not be pleased with Bobby Witt if that's who you want them to select? I'm confused. 

No they don't.  They have Eloy and Robert and a few potential league average players. No one else is a potential superstar and Robert is a long shot to ever reach his ceiling.  They do have a chance to select one this June and I hope they don't mess it up again by selecting another league avg player.

I disagree with the premise that any team is pleased selecting third.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No they don't.  They have Eloy and Robert and a few potential league average players. No one else is a potential superstar and Robert is a long shot to ever reach his ceiling.  They do have a chance to select one this June and I hope they don't mess it up again by selecting another league avg player.

Did you read the article? 

I am not a scout and will not scout or know how swings or anything work but I do still really like the profile of CJ Abrams and if he is graded closely I'd be attracted to cutting a deal. Starting to sound like he may start to slide into the back half of the top ten though.

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

CJ Abrams may have the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. Draft for ceiling.

Other guys we should be looking at is Malone. Espino. Ealy. Allan. Hinds.

It's not the only thing to consider though. Especially at #3 overall. I love CJ Abrams. I don't think he stays at SS though. Witt will which makes him the better prospect. Proximity to majors also comes into play with Vaughn and Rutschman. Those dudes are elite and could be in the big leagues within 18 months potentially. Lots of different factors to consider. I would not be taking a pitcher at #3. Keep drafting bats. 

12 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

CJ Abrams may have the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. Draft for ceiling.

Other guys we should be looking at is Malone. Espino. Ealy. Allan. Hinds.

Thats what we did with Hawkins but we couldnt develop him.  But watching Abrams swing is sweet, Kid looks like he has got alot of growing to do( I mean body wise, hopefully baseball wise too.)

Edited by Chisox378

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not the only thing to consider though. Especially at #3 overall. I love CJ Abrams. I don't think he stays at SS though. Witt will which makes him the better prospect. Proximity to majors also comes into play with Vaughn and Rutschman. Those dudes are elite and could be in the big leagues within 18 months potentially. Lots of different factors to consider. I would not be taking a pitcher at #3. Keep drafting bats. 

Andrew Vaughn an impressive 44 BB to 18 K's in 2018.

20 BB to 8 k's this season so far.

Edited by Chisox378

When you only take 1 high ceiling position player in a decade there is a good chance it will fail. But regardless, drafting a high school with big power but high likelihood of being a corner outfielder isn't the greatest upside play in the world.

4 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

If a kid hasnt learned how to walk and not strike out at the college level, I doubt good plate discipline and contact will flow into the minors and majors.

I mostly agree but who is this referring to? 

Ahead of the 2017 draft there was a lot of rumors of jeren kendall to the white sox. I remember actually going through a ton of college hitters looking for the highest k rates while still being successful. I wanna say after 18% k rate was when you started to get into outlier territory.

I think Judge was 22%, corey ray was 13% in his junior year but 20% his sophomore.

Kendall was 25%. There really is a point where it's too unlikely they can handle mlb pitching. Kendall had a .650 ops last year with a 27% k rate in A+

• Love 1

If we have the 3rd pick we should shoot for a Frank Thomas type player.

At Auburn The Big Hurt had 153 BB to 53 K's.

That flowed over into his MLB career where he had 1667 BB to 1397 K's. What a hitter!

Edited by Chisox378

11 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

If we have the 3rd pick we should shoot for a Frank Thomas type player.

At Auburn The Big Hurt had 153 BB to 53 K's.

That flowed over into his MLB career where he had 1667 BB to 1397 K's. What a hitter!

Nah, we should pass on the Hall of Famer, we should draft the bust instead.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Logan Wyatt come on down!!!!!

Nice call, this kid has a better swing than Vaughn and Ward. Not as much power as Vaughn, but Id still take him over Vaughn, power can be developed as long as he keeps his approach.

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't agree about only 2 guys. Kopech and Cease could still be great. Its not probable, but it is possible. If  Madrigal reaches his potential, would he be

considered a big star? I honestly don't know. 

3 minutes ago, zisk said:

I don't agree about only 2 guys. Kopech and Cease could still be great. Its not probable, but it is possible. If  Madrigal reaches his potential, would he be

considered a big star? I honestly don't know. 

If Madrigal learns to turn on the ball and start pulling it for doubles and 12-15 homers per year, he’ll be the Derek Jeter and franchise fan favorite that Gordon Beckham proclaimed himself to be in 2009.