FS: White Sox Should Be Pleased With 3rd Pick

Y2Jimmy0

25 minutes ago, Wanne said:

this has been my worst nightmare since last year....

If Hahn is trying to save his job, he has to take Vaughn over Witt and Abrams...he doesn’t have the librrty of waiting 3-5 years for that high school kid to develop, at least not since the Kopech injury and whiffing on Machado.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If Madrigal learns to turn on the ball and start pulling it for doubles and 12-15 homers per year, he’ll be the Derek Jeter and franchise fan favorite that Gordon Beckham proclaimed himself to be in 2009.

I haven't heard the comparison...but why couldn't Madrigal be the new Rod Carew?   Carew never hit 15 homers in a year...never hit 40 doubles...was not a great base stealer.  But  he was a career .330 hitter with nearly a .400 career OBP and 81 career WAR.   Imagine Madrigal averaging 200 hits and 70 walks a year...that would look really good hitting in front of Moncado, Jimenez, Robert and Vaughan.  

4 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I haven't heard the comparison...but why couldn't Madrigal be the new Rod Carew?   Carew never hit 15 homers in a year...never hit 40 doubles...was not a great base stealer.  But  he was a career .330 hitter with nearly a .400 career OBP and 81 career WAR.   Imagine Madrigal averaging 200 hits and 70 walks a year...that would look really good hitting in front of Moncado, Jimenez, Robert and Vaughan.  

In 1974 Rod Carew got on base 294 times, had 30 doubles and 38 stolen bases and only scored 86 runs.  WTF 74 Twins???    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I think Madrigal can be exactly what you say. A perfect #2hitter.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Abrams is how big right now?  Still growing?  His fallback position is CF, yes?  Where does his speed grade out?

Where is Riley Greene projecting to be drafted at the moment?

Abrams is the fastest man on the face of the earth.

Greene is pretty set in the top 10.  I don't see him getting past the padres at 6.

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Abrams is the fastest man on the face of the earth.

Greene is pretty set in the top 10.  I don't see him getting past the padres at 6.

So basically, he's Billy Hamilton with baseball skills and a strong throwing arm.

As long as he can hit and he's not one of those athletes like Courtney Hawkins that were projected to EVENTUALLY or potentially hit with the right training and development people around him.

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If Hahn is trying to save his job, he has to take Vaughn over Witt and Abrams...he doesn’t have the librrty of waiting 3-5 years for that high school kid to develop, at least not since the Kopech injury and whiffing on Machado.

In the above scenario....Vaughn is off the board.

Right now it looks like Hahn will have the easiest choice in the draft:

Adley and Vaughn picked? Take Witt.
Adley and Witt? Take Vaughn.
Witt and Vaughn because teams got cute? Thank your lucky stars for Adley.
Teams got REAL weird and two are available? Well, now we've got discussions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is likely that one of Vaughn or Rutschman will be there at #3 because of how far away the Orioles and Royals are from having a critical mass of talent. I think Witt is likely to go top 2, and it is possible that Witt and Abrams go 1-2 because of that lack of proximity to competition. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Is it really that indisputed between Abrams and Witt?   Abrams has the advantage on speed, but of the five tools, which other one is he comparable with Witt on, defense/arm?

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think it is likely that one of Vaughn or Rutschman will be there at #3 because of how far away the Orioles and Royals are from having a critical mass of talent. I think Witt is likely to go top 2, and it is possible that Witt and Abrams go 1-2 because of that lack of proximity to competition. 

Rutschman is so good that the Royals aren't going to pass on him, even with Sal Perez coming off TJS.

They'd logically trade Perez to a playoff contending team when he proves that he's back 100%, because he can't play 1B/DH...his offense just isn't good enough for those positions (see Mauer, Joe.)

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Rutschman is so good that the Royals aren't going to pass on him, even with Sal Perez coming off TJS.

They'd logically trade Perez to a playoff contending team when he proves that he's back 100%, because he can't play 1B/DH...his offense just isn't good enough for those positions (see Mauer, Joe.)

Maybe. We'll see. I think the O's are going to take Witt though. 

55 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I wonder if Boros will be representing any of these three.

Boras will likely represent someone and it won't matter. Sox drafted Rodon and they have Rutherford as well who is a client. 

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I could see the new baltimore GM having a process that devalues taking a catcher and 1b that high but I think they'll take adley.

Maybe. I just think they might go high school to better serve their window. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Boras will likely represent someone and it won't matter. Sox drafted Rodon and they have Rutherford as well who is a client. 

Their window is now 2024-2028?  

In reality, they are desperate to put a winning product on the field as quickly as possible.  Only if they thought Abrams or Witt could make it to the big leagues in 2 1/2 years rather than the typical 4-5 year timeline for high schoolers would they even be considering it.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah that makes sense but you saw what happened to the tigers last year on how hard it was for them to pass consensus (I think this guy for Balt won't care as much).

The other thing is it really does feel like "cutting a deal" has become less of a think since the latest CBA so that's partly why I feel like teams are just going with their top pick.

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah that makes sense but you saw what happened to the tigers last year on how hard it was for them to pass consensus (I think this guy for Balt won't care as much).

The other thing is it really does feel like "cutting a deal" has become less of a think since the latest CBA so that's partly why I feel like teams are just going with their top pick.

Elias did draft Carlos Correa (or recommended the Astros do so) when he wasn't really being talked about. I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore drafted CJ Abrams and pocketed some $$ to use later. 

11 hours ago, Quin said:

As of today, this is it.  Maybe in the next few months someone else pushes their way into this discussion, but there seems to be a clear top 3 as of March 20th.