FS: White Sox Should Be Pleased With 3rd Pick

Y2Jimmy0

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Elias did draft Carlos Correa (or recommended the Astros do so) when he wasn't really being talked about. I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore drafted CJ Abrams and pocketed some $$ to use later. 

But wasn't that when the first slot was a gigantic amount that allowed you to change your draft with savings after? It's much more marginal now.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

But wasn't that when the first slot was a gigantic amount that allowed you to change your draft with savings after? It's much more marginal now.

Yeah this is true. I think the biggest difference has been large market teams picking at the top recently. They don't have as much of an incentive to save $$ because they don't have a compensatory pick to use. The Twins did it in the new system with Royce Lewis. Last year was Detroit/SF/Phillies/WhiteSox though at the top. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah this is true. I think the biggest difference has been large market teams picking at the top recently. They don't have as much of an incentive to save $$ because they don't have a compensatory pick to use. The Twins did it in the new system with Royce Lewis. Last year was Detroit/SF/Phillies/WhiteSox though at the top. 

I think the thing that sucks for baltimore is maybe they do cut a deal with witt, you are going against the diamondbacks hoard of picks in that comp/round 2 zone. 

This also sucks for sox.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think the thing that sucks for baltimore is maybe they do cut a deal with witt, you are going against the diamondbacks hoard of picks in that comp/round 2 zone. 

This also sucks for sox.

It sucks less for the Sox because they are just going to overslot a college position player anyway but yes I agree 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Vaughn's one hit tool is not what the White Sox need with Eloy, Adolph and Burgur in the wings.

Remember "Tank for Beer"?

The white sox have very few bats that profile as elite, so vaughn fits well into the system despite his limitations. "Adolph" is just entering AA and Burger has played one underwhelming half-season and been tore his achilles twice. That's pretty far from being "in the wings".

I think 3 is fine. Rutschman is probably half a step ahead of the rest but I feel the difference between vaughn, abrams and witt is pretty small albeit the timelines and the way they contribute differ a lot.

I only would be pissed if rutsch and vaughn are off the board and they take the "safe" college pick instead of the HS guy. But I think as long they take one of the big 4 they are fine. Just don't try to get too cute and take the best guy especially since they don't have a high second pick warranting over and underslot cap games.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

Just now, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think 3 is fine. Rutschman is probably half a step ahead of the rest but I feel the difference between vaughn, abrams and witt is pretty small albeit the timelines and the way they contribute differ a lot.

I only would be pissed if rutsch and vaughn are off the board and they take the "safe" college pick instead of the HS guy. But I think as long they take one of the big 4 they are fine. Just don't try to get too cute and take the best guy especially since they don't have a high second pick waranting cap games.

Even the college picks and high school picks after witt/abrams I kinda like.

The removal of a "gritty" college ace has made the options all look nice to me, however, I should temper my enthusiasm as even though the profiles are all a bunch of player types I like, I have seen a lot of comments that this isn't a particularly brilliant top of the draft.

7 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think it is a quite deep draft with the bats. There isn't really a guy who has a good chance to be a 6 win player but a lot of guys with a chance to be 2-4 win players.

Right but that seems to be a better draft set-up for the dbacks/royals than the white sox.

18 hours ago, Wanne said:

for you PAC NETWORK subscribers...Cal and Vaughn vs OSU and Rutschman is on.

If Gavin sheets is hitting .300 with 6-8 homers at AA on draft day, would the Sox still take Vaughn if he's there? Burger might be a future 1st base candidate too.

Burger is going to hit if his career isn't lost to injury, and his hands are soft. Don't forget about Zach Collins either. I've never been crazy about him and he is 24

this year but you never know.

We may have to add Hunter Bishop to the list of considerations, if he continues to perform anywhere near his current pace. The guy is hitting out of his mind. Moreover, he hits left handed. You guys know me, so you can imagine how intriguing I consider the possibilities.

1 hour ago, zisk said:

If Gavin sheets is hitting .300 with 6-8 homers at AA on draft day, would the Sox still take Vaughn if he's there? Burger might be a future 1st base candidate too.

Burger is going to hit if his career isn't lost to injury, and his hands are soft. Don't forget about Zach Collins either. I've never been crazy about him and he is 24

You always take BPA.  If that’s Vaughn, Gavin Sheets shouldn’t prevent you from taking him no matter how well he is doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zisk said:

If Yoan Moncada didn't stop the Sox from taking Nick Madrigal,  Sheet's isn't going to hold up anything.