Fegan Q&A interesting note on International & L. Sosa

bmags

This is small but I thought some would find this interesting too.

Fegan had a Q&A and I asked about international signings coming up.

Here is the exchange and I highlighted the sosa part:

(I'm sorry if this formats poorly)

Have you heard anything on the 2019 international class? A bit shocked how little they are mentioned, as I expected them to have 2 years to focus like a hawk on this group.

(FEGAN) @Ben M. Like you I have not heard them linked to anyone big. I actually talked to Hahn today about Marco Paddy and how he believes it's been a nine-figure investment in facilities and scouting operations since Paddy took over in 2011, and how he has open clearance to pursue top of the market dudes, but it does seem quiet right now. They could certainly use volume from lower-tier options in addition to big-money guys after two years in the penalty box (oh god I'm talking like Hahn now)

(REPLY BACK TO FEGAN) I can't help but read stuff like that and think of Stephen Noh's interview with Michael Reinsdorf talking about how he provided computer monitors for the "analytics guy". 

Yeah, thanks for the info. I get they may not have wanted to throw 5 large on a guy like the yankees did after 2 penalty box years, but frustrating considering by far their best latam guys have been big money signings (and then...well let's not mention him)

FEGAN: I get what you mean, and I'm recalling from memory an interview I haven't transcribed yet. The major investments were the new DR facility and additional scouts, and not freaking out when Paddy told them how much penalty money Robert would incur. I would argue that a lot of Paddy's work really hasn't showed up yet. Micker was the first big thing he did and that guy hasn't shown up in Double-A yet, and not even because he's struggling or anything. Amado Nuñez was for under a million and that guy won a Pioneer League batting title, Lenyn Sosa was a $350K guy and looks like a DUDE on the backfields right now. Anderson Comas and Luis Mieses weren't big on the radar at the time of signing and are only starting to enter the public consciousness

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

Everybody is so excited about Bush (and they should be) but Sosa was easily the most complete player in the infield, and if I recall correctly he is actually younger than Bush. I am really excited about him. 

He is the true "power comes last" guy to watch for me. He incrementally improved while increasing competition. Low A is a big jump that has swallowed our younger guys before, but I just really like him and can't wait to see how he does this year.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What is Fegan getting at when he says he look like a DUDE?  Like his play is simply standing out or that physically he’s shown some serious growth?

all the prospect guys call someone that when they are looking good. I'm not sure you should take anything away more than that Sosa clearly looks better than his peers on the backfields.

However, we heard similar things about Curbelo. Nicer to hear than "Sosa has had nice stats but looks underwhelming in backfields"

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also, in regards to Nuñez, I don’t want to be that guy, but dude struck out in 27% of his plate appearances.  It does seem like he was making hard contact when he connected, but he’ll get eaten alive in full season ball if he doesn’t develop some plate discipline.

When watching the Voyagers last year Amando Nunez was the best hitter on the team for the games I got to see.  I got to see 3 or 4 games and he was very impressive.

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

all the prospect guys call someone that when they are looking good. I'm not sure you should take anything away more than that Sosa clearly looks better than his peers on the backfields.

However, we heard similar things about Curbelo. Nicer to hear than "Sosa has had nice stats but looks underwhelming in backfields"

I thought it was kinda telling when we saw Sosa play (he might have even started?) in one of the broadcast spring games with the big league regulars. He didn't look out of place. I reckon the organization is pretty high on him.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I thought it was kinda telling when we saw Sosa play (he might have even started?) in one of the broadcast spring games with the big league regulars. He didn't look out of place. I reckon the organization is pretty high on him.

Sad I missed a game where he played. I have no idea what he looks like (pictures don't provide much scale).

From today's grab bag:

"Purely my own opinion, but Lenyn Sosa, who just turned 19 in January and hit .293/.317/.406 in Great Falls last year against a league full of recent college draftees, has smooth actions from shortstop during infield practice."

6 hours ago, bmags said:

From today's grab bag:

"Purely my own opinion, but Lenyn Sosa, who just turned 19 in January and hit .293/.317/.406 in Great Falls last year against a league full of recent college draftees, has smooth actions from shortstop during infield practice."

Can't wait to see him with Kanny