Dane Dunning had Tommy John today

whitesoxwinner

I thought he was simply going in to evaluate options?  Can they really just pull off this type of surgery that same day or was Hahn full of shit?

Regardless, when will he likely be back?  Maybe I’m missing something, but if it’s an 18 month reocery would he miss the entire 2019 season plus most of the 2020 season as well?  Talk about the worst possible timing.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I thought he was simply going in to evaluate options?  Can they really just pull off this type of surgery that same day or was Hahn full of shit?

Regardless, when will he likely be back?  Maybe I’m missing something, but if it’s an 18 month reocery would he miss the entire 2019 season plus most of the 2020 season as well?  Talk about the worst possible timing.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, this says the recovery timetable can be as short as 9 months.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They had this scheduled by at least last week. He will be back next year probably by July if all goes well. It's not 18 months to begin pitching its usually takes about 7 months before they are back on the mound. Games around 9-11 months. The is usually when they are feeling normal.

I think I've starting to come up with a new theory about why so many UCLs are happening. I made a 15 hour drive from Colorado listening to MLB. They were discussing how the new players were benefitting from all of the weight lifting and such but it's fine since they were maintaining their flexibility. This is not a new thought. We know that the throwing motion creates enough force to tear the UCL with each throw and the muscles around it are what helps keep it together. However, what if we've increased the strength in the body to the point that the force generated by the muscles during the throwing motion has surpassed the forces at the elbow to protect the UCL? So is the "new" pitcher too strong for the ligament, not so much in the arm but in the rest of the body?

Just a thought.

I am have a new line of biomechanical research. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They had this scheduled by at least last week. He will be back next year probably by July if all goes well. It's not 18 months to begin pitching its usually takes about 7 months before they are back on the mound. Games around 9-11 months. The is usually when they are feeling normal.

I think I've starting to come up with a new theory about why so many UCLs are happening. I made a 15 hour drive from Colorado listening to MLB. They were discussing how the new players were benefitting from all of the weight lifting and such but it's fine since they were maintaining their flexibility. This is not a new thought. We know that the throwing motion creates enough force to tear the UCL with each throw and the muscles around it are what helps keep it together. However, what if we've increased the strength in the body to the point that the force generated by the muscles during the throwing motion has surpassed the forces at the elbow to protect the UCL? So is the "new" pitcher too strong for the ligament, not so much in the arm but in the rest of the body?

Just a thought.

This is a big problem in the climbing world, as well as the powerlifting world. In climbing, your muscles grow faster than your tendons and people destroy the joints, especially their hands. It takes years to strengthen tendons and months to strengthen the muscle. In the powerlifting world, it's even more prevalent due to steroids. I'd assume most pro athletes, including baseball players, are still on PED's of some sort. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

This is a big problem in the climbing world, as well as the powerlifting world. In climbing, your muscles grow faster than your tendons and people destroy the joints, especially their hands. It takes years to strengthen tendons and months to strengthen the muscle. In the powerlifting world, it's even more prevalent due to steroids. I'd assume most pro athletes, including baseball players, are still on PED's of some sort. 

In climbing, it's the stress on the pulleys in the fingers joints. I've seen a number of climbers that get bowstringing in the fingers. 

The numbers of pro athletes on muscle building PEDs has gone done since they instituted the blood baseline testing. However, I'm sure they're finding ways around it. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

In climbing, it's the stress on the pulleys in the fingers joints. I've seen a number of climbers that get bowstringing in the fingers. 

The numbers of pro athletes on muscle building PEDs has gone done since they instituted the blood baseline testing. However, I'm sure they're finding ways around it. 

You're a doctor. You know people don't get that big and fast naturally. There's just no way. 

Climbers also tear up their elbows, shoulders and knees. People advance faster than their bodies can handle. 

33 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just a thought.

Thanks for the info patc and very interesting theory.

Glad I was totally off-base with the 18 month recovery.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

You're a doctor. You know people don't get that big and fast naturally. There's just no way. 

Climbers also tear up their elbows, shoulders and knees. People advance faster than their bodies can handle. 

Im not a doctor. Well not the medical kind. The education kind. I'm a Physical therapist and athletic trainer. 

Most of the pro athletes aren't on the "that big, that fast" anymore. Most of the ones you see are fairly reasonable. No one in recent memory strikes me unreasonable. 

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Burdi is the one who brought this longer timeline into perception, imo.  Missing likely one full year and even early part of 2020, if there are any setbacks.

Burdi was pitching in games at about 14 months post-OP. I think they waited because why start games in August. Same 5hing will happen with Kopech. He could probably start games in August but why push it. Just keep working on everything and start in 2020.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Burdi was pitching in games at about 14 months post-OP. I think they waited because why start games in August. Same 5hing will happen with Kopech. He could probably start games in August but why push it. Just keep working on everything and start in 2020.

They still had AFL, winter ball, Arizona...I guess in the overall scheme of things, with where the White Sox are in the current rebuild...it really doesn't matter all that much, but it would have given him a head start on 2020.

Arizona Fall League probably would have been pushing him too hard, but there were other options for the offseason...then again, maybe he participated in one of those Driveline-like programs and we don't even know about it.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

They still had AFL, winter ball, Arizona...I guess in the overall scheme of things, with where the White Sox are in the current rebuild...it really doesn't matter all that much, but it would have given him a head start on 2020.

He did pitch in Arizona. Just a few innings though.

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's time to completely clean house and get rid of the training staff. This is beyond absurd at this point. 

Could be bad mechanics as well...there's a reason that Rizzo made those three pitchers available (remember, Lopez was projected to a closer due to his frame and questions about secondary stuff.)

Cease already had TJ coming out of high school.

Burdi and Kopech try to throw the ball through a brick wall.

Jace Fry has already gone through 2 major surgeries.   Someone wrote Bummer, but I'm not sure if they were referring to Burger's injury or Aaron Bummer also had surgery?

Still don't know about Ian Hamilton's shoulder and how serious that injury is, he was projected by many to win a bullpen role and eventually compete with Burdi for the closer's role.

Erik Johnson, too.  Hopefully Lambert and Flores aren't the next two guys to go down. 

I guess other than Sale (who everyone expected to break down eventually)/Quintana, we've had a terrible string of "bad luck" over the last decade, haven't we?

In this particular situation, Dunning's more of a surprise because he was not a pitcher 100% reliant on high velocity.  Then you have the Hansen nightmare, but there were already signs of that coming out of OU his junior season, when his stock fell off a cliff from 1-1 consideration.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's time to completely clean house and get rid of the training staff. This is beyond absurd at this point. 

The training staff has absolutely nothing to do with tearing a UCL.