Dane Dunning had Tommy John today

whitesoxwinner

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think you're misinterpreting my angle a bit.  I am not suggesting I know more about medicine or how to rehab an arm injury than the White Sox. Just the way this played out is pretty shitty.  If the Sox did the surgery last July (again...lets just assume for a second for the purposes of this example that he had a slight tear ), he likely misses all of 2019 anyway, but is probably already throwing and would be much more ramped up and ready to go for 2020.  Now, he's likely to miss a good chunk of 2020.  So either way he's missing a ton of development time, but trying to rehab the injury did cost him more game development time.  

Again, it is what is.  But IF he had a partial tear (I don't know, you don't know, no one but Dunning, his family and the White Sox know), I think they misplayed this.  Its certainly possible that he didn't and this was just going to happen at some point, and in that scenario, I guess better now than late in the 2019 season. 

It was a  wrong decision. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't the right one at the time given the information they had. Again, it's not an exact science hence the term, "he went for a second opinion."

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The front office had no decision about surgery. That would be up to the physician and the player. No one takes the approach that any tear means surgery nor should they. Pitching is so important that management leaves the decision to the medical team. They have goo much invested in these players. This isn't a sprained ankle by a second baseman. 

Fair enough, you're the doctor here, and therefore the person whose opinion is most valid. I'm annoyed that 9 months were essentially wasted, but like I said several times already, it's not like this team is on the verge of competing, so the time he misses isn't going to be important.

58 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

There is no way this is a coincidence that all our best minor league pitchers are hurt.  The training or the coaching needs to be examined.  That way there can be no excuses if the White Sox rebuild falls short. As far as developing hitters, I see that as a problem too. Now is the time when we need the best training staff,coaching, and philosophy in the minors.

It's likely a coincidence. Pitchers get hurt which is why it would be smart to keep drafting bats. 

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Fair enough, you're the doctor here, and therefore the person whose opinion is most valid. I'm annoyed that 9 months were essentially wasted, but like I said several times already, it's not like this team is on the verge of competing, so the time he misses isn't going to be important.

Not a physician.  But it is annoying that he did eventually needed surgery. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's likely a coincidence. Pitchers get hurt which is why it would be smart to keep drafting bats. 

Isn't that backwards. If you know pitchers get hurt, dont you want more of them?

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right - thanks for proving my point with NSS. 

Haha OK. We can argue semantics around the term "sprain", which per these medical sources can mean a tear or other things, but that's not the main point here anyway and its just terminology.

It is that this revisionist history and saying he should have had surgery is ridiculous. Again, it means you either think you know more than the doctors, or that the doctors/team were hiding some surgery-is-necessary information to hold off on surgery for whatever weird reason. What you and a few others are doing is just hindsight criticism because you are angry at the team generally and this is a convenient target.

To wit, see what ptatc is saying in all of his posts...

35 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's probably should have been done last summer based on the results now. But that's hindsight. Obviously they thought conservative treatment would work. It didn't. This isn't the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. They should ALWAYS err on the side of caution and conservative treatment.

32 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The front office had no decision about surgery. That would be up to the physician and the player. No one takes the approach that any tear means surgery nor should they. Pitching is so important that management leaves the decision to the medical team. They have goo much invested in these players. This isn't a sprained ankle by a second baseman. 

26 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It was a  wrong decision. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't the right one at the time given the information they had. Again, it's not an exact science hence the term, "he went for a second opinion."

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Doesnt mean it wasn't the right decision at the time though.

28 minutes ago, pcq said:

Michael Fulmer come on down! Baseball has started in Japan. 

Narvaez almost broke his thumb when he got crossed up.  Homers by Santana and Khris Davis, who led the majors.  Bullpen battle now.

Ichiro popped to second at age 45, just fouled off four pitches and walked in second at bat.  Might be his last two games ever, unless he retires with the Orix Blue Wave, where his career started.

59 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I did find it interesting reading his comments in the story that even back in October after he had rested and rehabbed he said the soreness was still there, not as bad but still in place.

Not uncommon. Just like with any injury, people handle it differently.  Some can deal with some laxity some can't. 

36 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Let's hope that Dunning and Kopech's recovery goes better than Burdi's. Kopech and Dunning are keys cogs to the rebuild. It seems like Burdi's arm is completely shot or something as he has been a ghost this Spring. 

He had a lat injury earlier this spring, but he was never supposed to be part of major league camp.  And while his stuff is still not 100% back yet, I believe he was in the 96 to 97 MPH range when he first came back, which should still work when you have two quality secondary offerings.

• Thanks 1