Trout about to sign 12/430 deal

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, Sockin said:

The only way the Sox are going to get a "young impact player" is via trade. They will never pay one in FA, they demonstrated that this off season. 

Who are the Sox going to trade in order to receive a "young impact player"? The Sox minors have been ravaged with injuries and underperformance. The only prospects really worth anything at the moment are Jimenez and Cease. Madrigal and Robert would have some value but the arrow is pointing down on both guys right now.

The Sox do not have the depth in the minors to begin trading away any prospects. The Sox are still in the talent acquisition phase of the rebuild. 

14 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Who are the Sox going to trade in order to receive a "young impact player"? The Sox minors have been ravaged with injuries and underperformance. The only prospects really worth anything at the moment are Jimenez and Cease. Madrigal and Robert would have some value but the arrow is pointing down on both guys right now.

The Sox do not have the depth in the minors to begin trading away any prospects. The Sox are still in the talent acquisition phase of the rebuild. 

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that they deal prospects for an impact player right now. He's just saying the only way they can acquire a star, since they won't pay, is to trade for one.

Edited by soxfan2014

Sox organization failed on Machado deal and no amount of BS from them is going too change that. People are pissed. Bargain basement free agents under JR is as good it will ever get.

Edited by Soxfest

Its kind of funny to think about, but this might not even be Trout's last contract. I think this covers his age 27-38 years. If he is able to keep up being really, really good, there is a chance he is close to some of the extremely rare career milestones. This article from fangraphs has some projected career totals for some traditional stats and has Trout at a 10% chance to hit 700 HR and a 2% chance to break the home run record. If he is anywhere close to those numbers, I can't see him retiring unless he is Pujols level of bad. Obviously that next contract wouldn't be for a ton of money, but just the idea that he could potentially break records and retire as a member of a different organization after signing a 12 year deal is kind of funny to me.

11 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Its kind of funny to think about, but this might not even be Trout's last contract. I think this covers his age 27-38 years. If he is able to keep up being really, really good, there is a chance he is close to some of the extremely rare career milestones. This article from fangraphs has some projected career totals for some traditional stats and has Trout at a 10% chance to hit 700 HR and a 2% chance to break the home run record. If he is anywhere close to those numbers, I can't see him retiring unless he is Pujols level of bad. Obviously that next contract wouldn't be for a ton of money, but just the idea that he could potentially break records and retire as a member of a different organization after signing a 12 year deal is kind of funny to me.

He won’t hang around like Pujols or Ichiro just to put up numbers...if he’s not close to the best player in the game, he simply walks away.

Thought I'd share an interesting story that is not Trout but related to these big deals, my brother has been doing some work at a White Sox employee's house.  FWIW, He asked him about the Machado non-signing once he found out he was in the organization.  As has been discussed, $300M was the number from day one and Manny badly wanted to come to Chicago as opposed to anybody else "at the table". 

We've also heard directly from Kenny that he didn't want to go to $300M, this is true but what isn't public is that "supposedly" JR does whatever Kenny tells him to do and was prepared to go to that number from day 1.  Hahn is uber-pissed at KW along with many internally and KW is apparently 100% of the problem when it comes to signing and offering big money to free agents.

If you look, the Sox really haven't made a significantly big contract signing since Albert Belle in 1996, KW took over just a few short years after that and we have not seen the money spent on a premier FA since that time.  

Edited by Chi Town Sox

56 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Thought I'd share an interesting story that is not Trout but related to these big deals, my brother has been doing some work at a White Sox employee's house.  FWIW, He asked him about the Machado non-signing once he found out he was in the organization.  As has been discussed, $300M was the number from day one and Manny badly wanted to come to Chicago as opposed to anybody else "at the table". 

We've also heard directly from Kenny that he didn't want to go to $300M, this is true but what isn't public is that "supposedly" JR does whatever Kenny tells him to do and was prepared to go to that number from day 1.  Hahn is uber-pissed at KW along with many internally and KW is apparently 100% of the problem when it comes to signing and offering big money to free agents.

If you look, the Sox really haven't made a significantly big contract signing since Albert Belle in 1996, KW took over just a few short years after that and we have not seen the money spent on a premier FA since that time.  

This makes absolutely no sense...other than being a convenient excuse to scapegoat someone.

If Hahn couldn’t go up to $300 million, and should have known this as early as two years ago, why enter negotiations in the first place?  

Why would a team president care more than the owner about controlling free agent salaries?   KW simply is a reflection of JR’s wishes, not the other way around...in the same way Huckabee is a mouthpiece for Trump.

If Hahn was that upset, why not go directly to Reinsdorf?   The Cubs with Hoyer and Epstein are nearly always on the same page, but the White Sox aren’t?  What would be the point of that type of structure, where no consensus emerges?

Also, who’s the one who signed off and adding 3 legit veteran in a matter of 2-3 weeks before the 2015 season?   KW doesn’t have a problem spending $125 million, but $250 is the magical cutoff all of a sudden?

Logically, any team president who felt his job was threatened would be the first to go out there with the GM and convince the owners to allocate that money for a superstar...so it’s pretty clear Reinsdorf and not KW set that line in the sand.

Why doesn’t Hahn quit if the situation is untenable...and why is Hahn seemingly helpless to make a convincing argument with that Harvard Law degree of his sitting there on the wall collecting dust?

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This makes absolutely no sense...other than being a convenient excuse to scapegoat someone.

If Hahn couldn’t go up to $300 million, and should have known this as early as two years ago, why enter negotiations in the first place?  

Why would a team president care more than the owner about controlling free agent salaries?   KW simply is a reflection of JR’s wishes, not the other way around...in the same way Huckabee is a mouthpiece for Trump.

If Hahn was that upset, why not go directly to Reinsdorf?   The Cubs with Hoyer and Epstein are nearly always on the same page, but the White Sox aren’t?  What would be the point of that type of structure, where no consensus emerges?

Also, who’s the one who signed off and adding 3 legit veteran in a matter of 2-3 weeks before the 2015 season?   KW doesn’t have a problem spending $125 million, but $250 is the magical cutoff all of a sudden?

Logically, any team president who felt his job was threatened would be the first to go out there with the GM and convince the owners to allocate that money for a superstar...so it’s pretty clear Reinsdorf and not KW set that line in the sand.

Why doesn’t Hahn quit if the situation is untenable...and why is Hahn seemingly helpless to make a convincing argument with that Harvard Law degree of his sitting there on the wall collecting dust?

If it's true, it makes sense, IMO.  If JR will really do whatever KW wants and his comments do align with the shared story, perhaps Jerry is far removed with KW calling the shots and telling Hahn what to go in and hold firm at.  My boss gets a bonus based on budget each year and if she makes a decision that I don't like or agree with, I'm definitely going to her boss or the owner of the company because I'm not getting what I want.  Hahn could have known his hands were tied and used that Harvard Law degree to talk KW into signing subpar players to entice Machado.  This is a business and every business has useless employees on the payroll, every company also has people that care about the budget even though they aren't the owner.

This could all be BS but just sharing what he was told.  Obviously, this all doesn't matter in the end because if we didn't sign a $300M free agent, we aren't going to sign a bigger one with this regime.  

29 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

If it's true, it makes sense, IMO.  If JR will really do whatever KW wants and his comments do align with the shared story, perhaps Jerry is far removed with KW calling the shots and telling Hahn what to go in and hold firm at.  My boss gets a bonus based on budget each year and if she makes a decision that I don't like or agree with, I'm definitely going to her boss or the owner of the company because I'm not getting what I want.  Hahn could have known his hands were tied and used that Harvard Law degree to talk KW into signing subpar players to entice Machado.  This is a business and every business has useless employees on the payroll, every company also has people that care about the budget even though they aren't the owner.

This could all be BS but just sharing what he was told.  Obviously, this all doesn't matter in the end because if we didn't sign a $300M free agent, we aren't going to sign a bigger one with this regime.  

This story doesn't really add up as it was reported that JR was directly involved in the Machado negotiations. It is clear as day that the Sox failed epically with the Machado negotiations. The question is did JR and company finish second on purpose or did they totally misread the market for Machado? 

3 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

One obvious and monstrous inconsistency - if Rick Hahn knew that was KWs limit, if it was the known price and the known limit,  then why on Earth did Rick Hahn spend the offseason running his gigantic mouth about how they were going to add a middle of the order hitter? Why did Rick Hahn waste money on Machado's buddies? No one made him do any of that, and if he knew those limits could potentially cost him the player then he should have kept his mouth shut and work like a professional GM to do the best he could. If he lost the player, he lost. Instead he not only went into sales pitch mode, but he started making other moves that hurt his franchise and helped the Indians in particular. Even if KW forced the player moves out of some master plan (meaning RH is the single most toothless, powerless GM in baseball, and really should resign), poor little Ricky shoulda shut his mouth and acted like a professional GM. He did not.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

One obvious and monstrous inconsistency - if Rick Hahn knew that was KWs limit, if it was the known price and the known limit,  then why on Earth did Rick Hahn spend the offseason running his gigantic mouth about how they were going to add a middle of the order hitter? Why did Rick Hahn waste money on Machado's buddies? No one made him do any of that, and if he knew those limits could potentially cost him the player then he should have kept his mouth shut and work like a professional GM to do the best he could. If he lost the player, he lost. Instead he not only went into sales pitch mode, but he started making other moves that hurt his franchise and helped the Indians in particular. Even if KW forced the player moves out of some master plan (meaning RH is the single most toothless, powerless GM in baseball, and really should resign), poor little Ricky shoulda shut his mouth and acted like a professional GM. He did not.

Because Rick Hahn is terrible at his job, that's why.  People always point to the fact that he locked up Sale, Q and Eaton on great team friendly contracts, but then totally over look the fact he couldn't put a good team around them to save his life.  Then had to trade those very same players.  The clown should not be the one in charge of a rebuild that he helped create due to his shitty roster creation. 

Just now, soulfly said:

Because Rick Hahn is terrible at his job, that's why.  People always point to the fact that he locked up Sale, Q and Eaton on great team friendly contracts, but then totally over look the fact he couldn't put a good team around them to save his life.  Then had to trade those very same players.  The clown should not be the one in charge of a rebuild that he helped create due to his shitty roster creation. 

I don't disagree with you, my point is that rick hahn's actions this offseason invalidate any of these ideas for how Rick Hahn can't possibly be responsible.

People have spent 6 years trying to give him credit while blaming others, it literally makes no sense this offseason with his own actions.