Red Line Radio Hahn Interview

ChiSox59

I see WSD released the interview last night.  Busy day at work and I am fully immersed in March Madness, so not sure I am going to listen.  Anyone that did care to opine if its worth listening to, or better yet, provide a summary of anything noteworthy Hahn said?

Thanks in advance! 

54 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see WSD released the interview last night.  Busy day at work and I am fully immersed in March Madness, so not sure I am going to listen.  Anyone that did care to opine if its worth listening to, or better yet, provide a summary of anything noteworthy Hahn said?

Thanks in advance! 

I'm wading through it right now. Haven't got to the Hahn interview yet. I will say there's something to be said for actual old fashioned sport talk without every word being fucking fuck and and talking about being rock hard.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm wading through it right now. Haven't got to the Hahn interview yet. I will say there's something to be said for actual old fashioned sport talk without every word being fucking fuck and and talking about being rock hard.

Lmao this is why i don't listen to them

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Lmao this is why i don't listen to them

I can just imagine Stone and Benetti doing that.

Benetti; Eloy hit that fucking ball hard and long.

Stone: Speaking of hard and long that HR gave me a huge boner,

Benetti: Not bad for a 70 year old Steve. I guess that's why we call you Stoney !

Any way the interview starts around the 32 minute mark.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I read that he basically said the Sox will never sign an elite FA because they don't want to commit past a certain age, is that a correct interpretation?

Mostly accurate. They don't want to commit past 33-34. So you can kiss Sale and Cole goodbye next offseason. They're the only good FA left. There is no way in hell Cole is only getting a 6 year deal. Let's continue winning the fiscal responsibility trophy. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jack Parkman

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mostly accurate. They don't want to commit past 33-34. So you can kiss Sale and Cole goodbye next offseason. They're the only good FA left. There is no way in hell Cole is only getting a 6 year deal. Let's continue winning the fiscal responsibility trophy. :rolleyes:

Hey, that is an important trophy to win. It is one that people will wait in line for hours in order to stand close to and take a picture with.

Uncle Jerry's actions this past off-season show that this is all he cares about this point in time. We are in the midst of some dark ages as Sox fans. 

Edited by OneDog847

9 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Uncle Jerry's actions this past off-season show that this is all he cares about this point in time. We are in the midst of some dark ages as Sox fans. 

Renteria said recently that he doesn't think anybody wants a perpetual rebuild. But it looks like that is whats happening. This so called rebuild/tanking can go on for years.

I hate to say it but most of us know it's true. The only way out of this current White Sox irrelevance is new ownership. Until that happens, I expect more Tommy Johns, more bad draft picks, more free agent low-ball offers, consistent lack of development (especially at the position player side of things) and more excuses from the big guys upstairs. Oh but we will be continuously reminded that pre-existing narratives have changed and that the White Sox and Cubs made a deal, and that they will spend premium money on international talent. Okay, Rick, i'll give it to you, that was a Hell of a trade and the Robert signing was awesome. But you have made more questionable deals than good ones, so lets focus on that. The Sale deal doesn't look so good as of now, the Shields deal was tragic and I don't care how cute it was when you called yourself a jackass about it. The Eaton deal appears to be a wash at this point.. We are sitting here today with an above average farm system, a horrible MLB roster and a TON of $$ to spend that will NOT be spent on superstar talent (unless that notable superstar will take a coupon instead of guaranteed $$) .And with all of these premium superstars signing early, the free agent market looks very bleak the next few seasons. Seriously, what are White Sox fans supposed to do?  We are supposed to give hope to a management that dug us this tremendous hole to begin with? Ugh. This is beyond rock bottom. This is baseball Hell! Someone please talk me off the ledge.... (not literally). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Renteria said recently that he doesn't think anybody wants a perpetual rebuild. But it looks like that is whats happening. This so called rebuild/tanking can go on for years.

People want a perpetual rebuild as much as they want a trip to the dentists office every month. As a fan, it matters jack shit what we want. JR has surrounded himself with yes men who tow the company line in exchange for a guaranteed job for life. Any successful leader will tell you that is a horrible approach to running an organization. 

We are definitely starting to see signs that this rebuild is not gonna go the way of the Cubs/Astros. Hahn and KW are writing the beginning chapters on how to royally screw up a rebuild and alienate your fanbase. 

• Like 2

Just now, OneDog847 said:

People want a perpetual rebuild as much as they want a trip to the dentists office every month. As a fan, it matters jack shit what we want. JR has surrounded himself with yes men who tow the company line in exchange for a guaranteed job for life. Any successful leader will tell you that is a horrible approach to running an organization. 

We are definitely starting to see signs that this rebuild is not gonna go the way of the Cubs/Astros. Hahn and KW are writing the beginning chapters on how to royally screw up a rebuild and alienate your fanbase. 

I told everyone this 2 and a half years ago and no wanted to believe me. I still don't know why so many people convinced themselves that it would be. 

I'm listening to it now, it's def not one to change your perception, about how Machado process went down.  They weren't willing to go to those years for Manny and we can either deal with it or not.  Hahn is still a smart guy repeats himself a lot if you were listening the last couple weeks.  Has some funny moments. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I told everyone this 2 and a half years ago and no wanted to believe me. I still don't know why so many people convinced themselves that it would be. 

Agreed.  IMO, you cannot strictly depend on the draft to have a competitive team year in year out (unless you never miss on the draft, which obviously isn't the case with this Front Office).  Similarly, you cannot strictly depend on Free Agency to have a competitive team year in year out.  It has to be a smart blend.  You need to be willing to spend the dollars when the right time comes.  Sox absolutely refuse to spend dollars wisely.  They can't get past this psychological hurdle of a large contract to a premier player so they'd rather waste money on garbage.  And, frankly, the jury is still out on whether they draft well.  So, yes, this rebuild is not going to go the way we had hoped.  

Sell JR.....Sox self imposed FA restrictions are complete nonsense. Sox want too pay themselves on the back on drafting, only reason picks got better is because of slotting. Prior to that nobody spent less on the draft than the Sox.

Edited by Soxfest

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Some fans wanted the team to have some direction because they saw the franchise had no focus. Tanking was painful, but some were relieved the FO had a some kind of plan and were willing to stick to it. However, this is beginning to look more like a salary dump than a rebuild.

The team is heading for its seventh consecutive losing season, and most of its future is hurt or in still in the minor leagues.  I wanted to feel hopeful, not gullible. 

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nobody imagined how incompetent this front office would be, simply due to the prevailing storyline that Hahn was out from under KW’s bootheels and free to manage all the moves in the most effective way possible fir long-term success...after those initial three blockbuster trades, Hahn was being treated like a god by many, but now he’s more like Icarus, at best.

The fans wanted the rebuild, there was just a sense of trepidation about how it would actually play out.

Until the Kopech injury and numerous setbacks in terms of performance and injuries, they were 100% on board and willing to give the front office the benefit of the doubt imo. 

Edited by caulfield12

32 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

I'm listening to it now, it's def not one to change your perception, about how Machado process went down.  They weren't willing to go to those years for Manny and we can either deal with it or not.  Hahn is still a smart guy repeats himself a lot if you were listening the last couple weeks.  Has some funny moments. 

hahn is a mediocre GM at best that has been given a lifetime contract by JR.  Remember when we used to hear rumors of him interviewing for other jobs in the offseason?  Well those offers dried up as soon as he was exposed as nothing more than a contract guy.  He can negotiate a good deal.  His overall GM acumen is lacking.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lol...we can’t even sign guys like JDM or Goldschmidt under these parameters.  If these clowns are serious, the rebuild is completely fucking doomed.

12 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Some fans wanted the team to have some direction because they saw the franchise had no focus. Tanking was painful, but some were relieved the FO had a some kind of plan and were willing to stick to it. However, this is beginning to look more like a salary dump than a rebuild.

The team is heading for its seventh consecutive losing season, and most of its future is hurt or in still in the minor leagues.  I wanted to feel hopeful, not gullible. 

There are sticking to a plan, just not the Cubs/Astros plan. I know it was the whole well they never did thing A before either,  so now they will do everything else they never did before that people rationalized into some new era, but it was never realistic. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are sticking to a plan, just not the Cubs/Astros plan. I know it was the whole well they never did thing A before either,  so now they will do everything else they never did before that people rationalized into some new era, but it was never realistic. 

So then we’re essentially stuck with no realistic path outside of regime change...we certainly had the opportunity to spend another $30-50 million that went to the Machado Family and Friends Plan on Latin American talent to supplement the Robert signing period and counterbalance the following year of $300k or below signs.  It’s like they rested on their laurels just because they beat out the Cardinals in something/anything.

That would have been the wisest course of action.  Opportunity missed...or punted on.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

So then we’re essentially stuck with no realistic path outside of regime change...we certainly had the opportunity to spend another $30-50 million that went to the Machado Family and Friends Plan on Latin American talent to supplement the Robert signing period and counterbalance the following year of $300k or below signs.  It’s like they rested on their laurels just because they beat out the Cardinals in something/anything.

That would have been the wisest course of action.  Opportunity missed...or punted on.

Or daily temper tantrums.  That seems to be going well

Or daily temper tantrums.  That seems to be going well

Is that markedly better than “I told/warned you guys from the beginning that rebuilding wasn’t as easy as it appeared” and “White Sox fans aren’t going to support any team that’s not a guaranteed World Series contender, look at 2010 and 2012.”  ???

Doesn’t that get old to keep reiterating as well?

You’re not going to change the tenor of conversation by placing the blame on the backs of Sox fans...not after what they all just went through this offseason.  That will be about as popular a position as taking hamburgers, guns and airplanes away from 33% of the populace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Is that markedly better than “I told/warned you guys from the beginning that rebuilding wasn’t as easy as it appeared” and “White Sox fans aren’t going to support any team that’s not a guaranteed World Series contender, look at 2010 and 2012.”  ???

Doesn’t that get old to keep reiterating as well?

You’re not going to change the tenor of conversation by placing the blame on the backs of Sox fans...not after what they all just went through this offseason.  That will be about as popular a position as taking hamburgers, guns and airplanes away from 33% of the populace.

You would think perpetual complaining would get old, yet here is another one, just like every other thread.

You would think perpetual complaining would get old, yet here is another one, just like every other thread.

You’re going to spend equal amounts of time chastising Balta, Dick Allen, Fathom, Chitownsportsfan and Chicago White Sox for assuming the exact same position?

At least I was consistent in never believing Hahn could steer this ship away from an iceberg...

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2