Red Line Radio Hahn Interview

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A historically lucky championship is the cardinals team that won like 83 games. Nothing about wire to wire best in league and 11-1 in post season is historically lucky.

They also thought Buehrle broke his footin spring training and was going to miss the first 4-6 weeks. Turns out it wasn’t broken. Unless it’s the NBA with a stacked roster winning a championship requires a lot of luck. Things can go the other way quickly.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

“Hurt feelings” are reigning supreme on the ‘ol site these days, if you haven’t noticed, with all roads leading back to the continued failures of your heroes in the front office, with whom you inexplicably have no issues.  Then again, you’ve allowed yourself to be conditioned to set the bar so low when it comes to their performance.  But that’s your issue.  I’m sure 2019 will meet the same expectations you’ve had in the past several seasons.  Enjoy all of the coming losses.  They should look familiar to you.

Meanwhile, there are several other posters posting far more interesting points of view than your personal attacks, which seem to be on the rise today from you.  Spring fever?

Like I said,  the King of the Victim Mentality. 

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

This team fucking sucks and I'm losing my passion for it for the first time in my life.

Right there with you. I'm 32 years old and never thought I would see this day. I feel rotten for it, but fuck this franchise- I let my ticket rep know as much. It's no use cheering for L's either, since the same incompetent jackasses are going to waste draft picks on pure shit. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Anyways, the interview

It is what it is.  At this point, we all know exactly what Hahn's going to say and how it's going to sound, and it would just piss off the majority of fans anyway.

Frankly, it would be more fun speculating about Hoiberg going to Nebraska to replace Miles (Creighton would be interesting, too, although that definitely won't happen this year).

10 hours ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Right there with you. I'm 32 years old and never thought I would see this day. I feel rotten for it, but fuck this franchise- I let my ticket rep know as much. It's no use cheering for L's either, since the same incompetent jackasses are going to waste draft picks on pure shit. 

I felt bad ticket reps get the majority of ticketholder frustration, but after getting totally ghosted by my rep over a question I had about getting ghosted over another issue although not the rep's fault on that one, I have lost my sympathy.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I felt bad ticket reps get the majority of ticketholder frustration, but after getting totally ghosted by my rep over a question I had about getting ghosted over another issue although not the rep's fault on that one, I have lost my sympathy.

Yeah, I think in general having known ticket reps I'm sympathetic to backlash being targeted at that group (its like taking it out on the hot dog vendor to be quite honest).

But I have really been annoyed by sox ticket reps recently. They have very siloed structures that make any questions you may have that may require the events team to answer instead of your individual rep, you get basically asked to contact directly. Very little follow-up on questions asked, very little assistance in correcting mistakes.

And I compare this to how chicago fire reps interact with me when I bought like one ticket 3 years ago, constant touchpoints, answering every question, following-up to see if my experience went well. It just makes me want to go more.

Part of the sox brand, for better or worse, has been that it's supposed to be the easy game to do for the casual fan, for the family. But between the security protocols (which they can do nothing about), the poor ticket rep experience, the opening day fiascoes, constant chaos in april with the food vendors, it has just felt like sox games are very hard recently.

Then, you know, I'll spontaneously go to a game in july when they have their act together, it's 85 degrees at night drinking a beer behind home plate for $30 and its like "damn I can never quit this."

But in general I felt like they have been really poor recently.

11 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Anyways, the interview

I guess I don't want hahn to be interviewed as much as lectured to. It's an easy answer that you have to balance the team value vs player value and it didn't match up this time. It's easy to act like you tried for harper.

But he and some media do this thing where sox fans just have starry eyes and think you should throw money at every big free agent that comes along, and they need to be tough and realistic like the front office is.

Two years ago when they started this rebuild they head nodded that they would shed salary while they amassed prospects, but that they would also spend money when the time came. It was obvious to fans like us and to hahn that he was talking about 2018-19 offseason where 2 superstars at age 26 would be available.

When asked about this directly he did not shy away. He talked about how the money would be there, how they would have economic might due to the restructured team around cost controlled players.

And so while in a typical situation where you have a fairly mature, competing roster toward the top of your budget, adding what would likely be another 1/3rd of your budget to one player would be a balancing act unlikely to tilt toward signing it.

But that wasn't the sox situation. They had economic might and a target on these players backs because they were young, would be productive throughout the rebuild, and could afford to pay a large dollar amount to one player because the total budget would still be reasonable due to the amount of cheap talent.

They keep answering the question as if signing this player maxed out their budget before they were in the rebuild, but that was not true. And we all know the real answer is that they were wrong about the market and what it would take and that they could get what it would take from a historically dogmatic owner on "what players should get". 

All of that could be predicted but they didn't because they were bad at their jobs and so that's not an interview question its a lecture but I want him to own up to it which he never will so all interviews will be bad.

edit: I dont even know why i wrote that out, we all know the truth at this point it was written 1000x in a 6million page thread. But they are trying to change the narrative that it was about responsible choices when its actually that they are bad so i'll just repeat myself to everyone.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Anyways, the interview

Rick Hahn is a wizard at using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing at all. He also sounds like a broken record every time he opens his mouth. 

The dude should go work as a sleazy corporate lawyer. He has been in over his head as a baseball general manager since his first day on the job. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I guess I don't want hahn to be interviewed as much as lectured to. It's an easy answer that you have to balance the team value vs player value and it didn't match up this time. It's easy to act like you tried for harper.

But he and some media do this thing where sox fans just have starry eyes and think you should throw money at every big free agent that comes along, and they need to be tough and realistic like the front office is.

Two years ago when they started this rebuild they head nodded that they would shed salary while they amassed prospects, but that they would also spend money when the time came. It was obvious to fans like us and to hahn that he was talking about 2018-19 offseason where 2 superstars at age 26 would be available.

When asked about this directly he did not shy away. He talked about how the money would be there, how they would have economic might due to the restructured team around cost controlled players.

And so while in a typical situation where you have a fairly mature, competing roster toward the top of your budget, adding what would likely be another 1/3rd of your budget to one player would be a balancing act unlikely to tilt toward signing it.

But that wasn't the sox situation. They had economic might and a target on these players backs because they were young, would be productive throughout the rebuild, and could afford to pay a large dollar amount to one player because the total budget would still be reasonable due to the amount of cheap talent.

They keep answering the question as if signing this player maxed out their budget before they were in the rebuild, but that was not true. And we all know the real answer is that they were wrong about the market and what it would take and that they could get what it would take from a historically dogmatic owner on "what players should get". 

All of that could be predicted but they didn't because they were bad at their jobs and so that's not an interview question its a lecture but I want him to own up to it which he never will so all interviews will be bad.

edit: I dont even know why i wrote that out, we all know the truth at this point it was written 1000x in a 6million page thread. But they are trying to change the narrative that it was about responsible choices when its actually that they are bad so i'll just repeat myself to everyone.

But it should continually be said as it is spot on.  I cancelled a 200 ticket event that I was planning and the reason I told the ticket agent was that I felt the White Sox front office was full of shit.

I have stated this before and will again.  My desire for White Sox baseball has been waning, is worse now then ever and it is not getting better.

I bought tickets to opening day before the front office wet the bed and I am debating whether I even want to go. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

This team fucking sucks and I'm losing my passion for it for the first time in my life.

Same and it especially sucks because baseball is pretty much the only sport I really care about, I'm a casual fan of the other Chicago sports teams at best.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

There's no "settling." We're fans. Don't live under the delusion that you can "change" anything. Jesus christ. You guys are adults right? I've never heard so much crying in my fucking life. 

You sound like you need a safe space.

• Haha 1

My fellow Sox fans that won't let it go that we didn't sign Machado or Harper make me cringe. If you can't let it go, then go be a fan of another team. Enough already. If this entire season is going to be SoxTalk b****ing about that and thinking the front office and organization suck then I guess see ya later SoxTalk. Ya'll are depressing as can be. Get over it or move on to whatever team you want to follow next.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

My fellow Sox fans that won't let it go that we didn't sign Machado or Harper make me cringe. If you can't let it go, then go be a fan of another team. Enough already. If this entire season is going to be SoxTalk b****ing about that and thinking the front office and organization suck then I guess see ya later SoxTalk. Ya'll are depressing as can be. Get over it or move on to whatever team you want to follow next.

No offense bud, but if you’re looking for rainbows & unicorns, then maybe you should stick to Scott Merkin fluff pieces and avoid Soxtalk altogether for some time.  People have a right to be pissed about the state of affairs and the moment we take our foot off the front office’s throat is the same moment they win despite what has been a lackluster product for nearly a decade now.

16 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Because most of your posts are complaining about someone else’s posts. Do you ever actually post about baseball or just tell everyone how they know nothing. How Bridgeport is crime ridden and a slum...

I have no idea about what most of your posts are about. I suppose I'm memorable. Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

Well everybody here is a die hard dude.  You think most of us when we were young Sox fans pictured this shit?  Hell no.  We had a decent run in the 90s and early aughts but our allegiance has never wavered even during the recent drought.  We are stuck and if b****ing about it makes us more interested or feel better about the team than it is what it is.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No offense bud, but if you’re looking for rainbows & unicorns, then maybe you should stick to Scott Merkin fluff pieces and avoid Soxtalk altogether for some time.  People have a right to be pissed about the state of affairs and the moment we take our foot off the front office’s throat is the same moment they win despite what has been a lackluster product for nearly a decade now.

That seems to be the common theme that you either have to b**** every minute of the day or you have to be kissing the organizations ass, right? How about this, I was pissed, and now I want to enjoy the start of the season, which this site is making it impossible to do. 

You have me laughing pretty hard at the fact that you think you complaining on a message board is going to make a single difference to the organization. What happened happened. Either deal with it or don't but how you react isn't changing anything.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well everybody here is a die hard dude.  You think most of us when we were young Sox fans pictured this shit?  Hell no.  We had a decent run in the 90s and early aughts but our allegiance has never wavered even during the recent drought.  We are stuck and if b****ing about it makes us more interested or feel better about the team than it is what it is.

When you say "do you think most of us pictured this shit?" are you referring to the Sox missing out on, at the time, a record setting contract? That's literally the only thing that has happened this offseason.

It's called a rebuild that the team is 2-3 years into. Yes the team sucks, but I'm still looking forward to 2 years from now when a lot of these prospects will be on the team.

Just now, bmags said:

I, too, want everyone to discuss only the things I like and not discuss the things I don't like.

You can be sarcastic all you want man. I used to love this board and really respected the opinions of a lot of posters. Now I come on and read the same redundant posts over and over. Why be a fan if you think the owner sucks, the front office sucks, the team sucks, and the prospects suck?