Red Line Radio Hahn Interview

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

That seems to be the common theme that you either have to b**** every minute of the day or you have to be kissing the organizations ass, right? How about this, I was pissed, and now I want to enjoy the start of the season, which this site is making it impossible to do. 

You have me laughing pretty hard at the fact that you think you complaining on a message board is going to make a single difference to the organization. What happened happened. Either deal with it or don't but how you react isn't changing anything.

I don't think anyone is under the assumption the Sox come to read this site for suggestions. If people are upset, why can't they be upset? You're looking forward to the season opening. That's great. Nothing wrong with that. 

Whether or not how people react will change anything or not is not the issue. It's the disappointment of this offseason, and the frustration and realization this team is still a long ways away with really no shot of ever adding premium talent without drafting really high since they are unrealistic in their approach to the better free agents. 

People have just as much right to be upset at being sold a bill of goods as you do feeling how you do. 

That said, if somehow the team plays well, the negativity will go away.

9 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

That seems to be the common theme that you either have to b**** every minute of the day or you have to be kissing the organizations ass, right? How about this, I was pissed, and now I want to enjoy the start of the season, which this site is making it impossible to do. 

You have me laughing pretty hard at the fact that you think you complaining on a message board is going to make a single difference to the organization. What happened happened. Either deal with it or don't but how you react isn't changing anything.

To paraphrase the great Tyler the Creator: close the computer fool!

2 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

You can be sarcastic all you want man. I used to love this board and really respected the opinions of a lot of posters. Now I come on and read the same redundant posts over and over. Why be a fan if you think the owner sucks, the front office sucks, the team sucks, and the prospects suck?

I don't know, but I find it tedious when people can't object to the reasoning that informs the boards or posters pessimistic conclusions, just that they shouldn't have pessimistic conclusions at all because it makes them sad. There's been a lot of injuries. Too sad to talk about? Guys stop talking about it. Why be a fan if you are going to talk about what the team is doing? Let's just focus on how the team can make me feel positive.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think anyone is under the assumption the Sox come to read this site for suggestions. If people are upset, why can't they be upset? You're looking forward to the season opening. That's great. Nothing wrong with that. 

Whether or not how people react will change anything or not is not the issue. It's the disappointment of this offseason, and the frustration and realization this team is still a long ways away with really no shot of ever adding premium talent without drafting really high since they are unrealistic in their approach to the better free agents. 

People have just as much right to be upset at being sold a bill of goods as you do feeling how you do. 

That said, if somehow the team plays well, the negativity will go away.

I appreciate the respectful response. You are correct and I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to be upset. I do, however, feel like it's a little irrational at this point. When the season ended, absolutely no one thought the Sox would be a finalist for either of the big FA's. They ultimately didn't sign either of them and all the sudden the Whte Sox world melted down. I wanted Manny as much as the next guy, but when you put it in perspective I think you can move on and continue the rebuild.

I think it is still possible for the Sox to sign premium talent. Do I think they will ever sign a 10 year contract? No. But I think they are fully capable of signing any of the contracts that the Cubs have signed up to this point.

Just now, bmags said:

I don't know, but I find it tedious when people can't object to the reasoning that informs the boards or posters pessimistic conclusions, just that they shouldn't have pessimistic conclusions at all because it makes them sad. There's been a lot of injuries. Too sad to talk about? Guys stop talking about it. Why be a fan if you are going to talk about what the team is doing? Let's just focus on how the team can make me feel positive.

Boy how can they lay off pitches that close!

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Again, you don't have to patronize. I had no problem with the complaining about missing out on Machado for a couple weeks after it happened. At this point I'm just saying what's the point? 

You don't have to talk to me like a child and say it's making me feel sad. This has nothing to do with injuries to prospects, this has everything to do with the attacks at the front office for failing to sign Machado/Harper.

Absolutely the point of this board is to talk about what the team is doing, I don't need a positive spin. But when something has been beat to death, why keep beating it?

1 minute ago, kevo880 said:

Again, you don't have to patronize. I had no problem with the complaining about missing out on Machado for a couple weeks after it happened. At this point I'm just saying what's the point? 

You don't have to talk to me like a child and say it's making me feel sad. This has nothing to do with injuries to prospects, this has everything to do with the attacks at the front office for failing to sign Machado/Harper.

Absolutely the point of this board is to talk about what the team is doing, I don't need a positive spin. But when something has been beat to death, why keep beating it?

To pass the time at work?

1 minute ago, kevo880 said:

I appreciate the respectful response. You are correct and I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to be upset. I do, however, feel like it's a little irrational at this point. When the season ended, absolutely no one thought the Sox would be a finalist for either of the big FA's. They ultimately didn't sign either of them and all the sudden the Whte Sox world melted down. I wanted Manny as much as the next guy, but when you put it in perspective I think you can move on and continue the rebuild.

I think it is still possible for the Sox to sign premium talent. Do I think they will ever sign a 10 year contract? No. But I think they are fully capable of signing any of the contracts that the Cubs have signed up to this point.

I was one of those. I didn't think they had a chance and wasn't going to renew my season ticket package. During the Winter Meetings, some people were giving them a shot, I still didn't think so but renewed anyways just in case. Then something strange happened. The White Sox actually weren't super secret about it anymore, and they acted, especially at Soxfest like it was a done deal, playing with their fanbase. Even after they lost Machado, and didn't even try for Harper, they were leaking their contract offer. Apparently they thought second place, $50 million short would please their fanbase. Whoever thought that, needs to be replaced.

Right now, I am not so excited for the season to start even though I think they will be at least a little bit better than they have the last couple of seasons. For me, if they would have just been how they have always been and never been mentioned with the guys, and didn't sign them, I would feel far more positive now. Maybe that is silly, maybe it makes no sense. But that's how I feel.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I was one of those. I didn't think they had a chance and wasn't going to renew my season ticket package. During the Winter Meetings, some people were giving them a shot, I still didn't think so but renewed anyways just in case. Then something strange happened. The White Sox actually weren't super secret about it anymore, and they acted, especially at Soxfest like it was a done deal, playing with their fanbase. Even after they lost Machado, and didn't even try for Harper, they were leaking their contract offer. Apparently they thought second place, $50 million short would please their fanbase. Whoever thought that, needs to be replaced.

Right now, I am not so excited for the season to start even though I think they will be at least a little bit better than they have the last couple of seasons. For me, if they would have just been how they have always been and never been mentioned with the guys, and didn't sign them, I would feel far more positive now. Maybe that is silly, maybe it makes no sense. But that's how I feel.

I agree, the optimism that was shown by the front office wasn't in their best interests. They definitely didn't act like it was a done deal though. I also still think it's an assumption that it was the Sox leaking offer details. Traditionally that is the opposite of how they operate. 

I don't expect the team to be good this year, but I'm excited to see the progress of some of the young guys that are supposed to be part of the core in a couple years. This is what we all knew we were in for when the rebuild started though.

6 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

Sounds like you need a new job homie

I own my own business.  Most of the job is showing up and waiting for people to come in or asking my staff to fix something.  It's a great gig.  Plenty of free time during the work day.

But hey keep patronizing me like you just b****ed about people doing to you.  WTF some people really lack self awareness.

5 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

Telling people they shouldn't care about topics they care about is pretty patronizing. Especially in a thread that is about an interview with the GM where he discusses those topics. That's why you are getting the response you are.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Telling people they shouldn't care about topics they care about is pretty patronizing. Especially in a thread that is about an interview with the GM where he discusses those topics. That's why you are getting the response you are.

That's cool since I never said they shouldn't care about what topics they want to care about. I'm asking when will the retread stop and what's the point?

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean every single thread ends up at the same dead end over Machado.  Does everyone really want to have the exact same discussion every single day,  especially now that there are even spring games to talk about? It gets grating.

THANK YOU!!! So I'm not the only one that feels that way.

41 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

Well if you actually listened to Hahn’s interview, he was pretty salty about the fanbase being outraged.  That alone makes the non-stop b****ing from myself and others worthwhile IMO.

But beyond the message board b****ing, maintaining the anger will help suppress  attendance and impact the bottom line, which is the only thing we can do as fans to voice our displeasure and help force change even if this accountability-free organization is unlikely to do anything about.

Again, if you want to enjoy this shit product the more power to you, but stop trying to make Soxtalk your own little safe space.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean every single thread ends up at the same dead end over Machado.  Does everyone really want to have the exact same discussion every single day,  especially now that there are even spring games to talk about? It gets grating.

This thread is about an interview Rick Hahn did that touched on the Machado miss and other issues the fanbase has with the organization right now?  Why the fuck would we not be talking about this here?

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well if you actually listened to Hahn’s interview, he was pretty salty about the fanbase being outraged.  That alone makes the non-stop b****ing from myself and others worthwhile IMO.

But beyond the message board b****ing, maintaining the anger will help suppress  attendance and impact the bottom line, which is the only thing we can do as fans to voice our displeasure and help force change even if this accountability-free organization is unlikely to do anything about.

Again, if you want to enjoy this shit product the more power to you, but stop trying to make Soxtalk your own little safe space.

Actually it makes it sound like all you need is a shiny new free agent to come back.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

HAHA my own little safe place? WTF are you talking about?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also I listened to the interview and enjoyed it. I'm not going to outraged for months that a team was willing to go 10 years on a player that the Sox opted not to go 10 years on. Would I have liked to get Machado? Yes. I'm not going to lash out on the team and boycott games and being a fan because of it.