Optimistic Fan Thread

DurhamStance

There are a 300 million, or rather 250 million reasons to be down on the sox  going into this season, but some of us are watching all/most of the games no matter what, so I wanted to start a thread for anyone who wanted to share anything they think might NOT turn out terribly this season. Of course Giolito can continue to struggle, Lopez might be nothing special, and Rodon could blow out his arm on opening day. There are other scenarios that can play out as well that can make this season a hell of a lot more watchable. Anyway, this is for the fans that aren't already looking at 2020. 

• Love 2

22 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

OK, technically not negative! 

Can sit pretty much anywhere you want...no long lines.

Still have the Cubs to cheer against.

Watching Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Madrigal and maybe Collins/Zavala.

Dylan Cease.  Lopez, of course.

Draft in June with a series of high picks.

Trade deadline...hoping against hope to turn our veteran scrubs into legit prospects or at least Palka’s, Leury’s and Yolmer’s.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Dylan Cease.

Trade deadline...hoping against hope to turn our veteran scrubs into legit prospects or at least Palka’s, Leury’s and Yolmer’s.

I can't help but think if (IF) Robert stays healthy this season and finally puts together a full season of at bats, I don't know what's holding him back from being a star. Incredibly, he's often forgotten about throughout this whole thing, but understandably too due to the fact that he just hasn't played much at all. 

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Dylan Cease.

I'll probably get half drunk in the parking lot at least once this summer!

• Haha 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I am looking forward to a leap from Yoan, a much improved bullpen, as well as what our MiLB hitter do this year. Specifically I want too see what the OF glut and the middle infielders at the lower levels do.

It will be interesting to see what a *somewhat* competent bullpen can do. You're right about OF as well, guys like Rutherford and Basabe can maybe show us if there's anything there. 

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the improvements in guys like Moncada, Anderson, and Lopez.  I'm very hesitantly hoping for a bounce-back season from Giolito.  Other than that, I'm excited to see how some of the prospects develop.  There's a lot of talent in the minors and some real potential.  Them doing well will help ease the pain of a likely rough season.

3 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

It will be interesting to see what a *somewhat* competent bullpen can do. You're right about OF as well, guys like Rutherford and Basabe can maybe show us if there's anything there. 

Except Basabe will miss a good chunk of the season and Herrera/Jones (based on getting crushed every time out) both seem to have some physical problems already...so it’s Colome and Fry who will be the two to hit the ground running from OD.

And hopefully Erwin Santana will turn out to be a nice comeback story.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except Basabe will miss a good chunk of the season and Herrera/Jones (based on getting crushed every time out) both seem to have some physical problems already...so it’s Colome and Fry who will be the two to hit the ground running from OD.

And hopefully Erwin Santana will turn out to be a nice comeback story.

It is also nice to see you trying to torpedo a thread that is supposed to be optimistic.

• Like 2

Just now, yesterday333 said:

I am still very high on our farm. Our OFs in AA and the IF in Kann have me most excited. I am also excited for our draft pick. I am looking forward to Madrigal proving doubters wrong. I am also excited for Zavala and Collins as our platoon Cs.

Really looking forward to healthy Madrigal and Steele Walker.

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Dylan Cease.  Lopez, of course.

Looking forward to lots of opportunities to list players' names in short, one- to two-line segments.  Sometimes with first names, sometimes:  what the hell

Yelich, Cain, Braun, Bob Uecker

Jon Rauch

Rocky Biddle, Buehrle, Mike Caruso, Parque, (James Baldwin, the Milkman); even Ricky Henderson/Bobby Bonilla if all goes right

Also looking forward to pivoting to lists of unrelated, vaguely esoteric-sounding topics.  Monetary theory.  World War I.  Malcolm Gladwell: Tipping Point?  Also links https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/17/as-recession-looms-could-mmt-be-the-unorthodox-solution-modern-monetary-theory

Long embedded quotes of questionable relevance and provenance 

"The most recent indiscretion of sign-stealing, or at least alleged sign-stealing, took place on Monday in a game between the Yankees and Orioles, After the final out of the game was made, Andino yelled at Yankees catcher Russell Martin as the victorious Yankees made their way down the handshake line at midfield, as seen in the video here. He was evidently egged on by Martin, who had something to say to Andino after he believed he was tipping the location of Mariano Rivera's pitches in the final inning.  Allegations like this from Martin are nothing new, but more on that later."

Starting threads

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Looking forward to lots of opportunities to list players' names in short, one- to two-line segments.  Sometimes with first names, sometimes:  what the hell

Yelich, Cain, Braun, Bob Uecker

Jon Rauch

Rocky Biddle, Buehrle, Mike Caruso, Parque, (James Baldwin, the Milkman); even Ricky Henderson/Bobby Bonilla if all goes right

Also looking forward to pivoting to lists of unrelated, vaguely esoteric-sounding topics.  Monetary theory.  World War I.  Malcolm Gladwell: Tipping Point?  Also links https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/17/as-recession-looms-could-mmt-be-the-unorthodox-solution-modern-monetary-theory

Long embedded quotes of questionable relevance and provenance 

"The most recent indiscretion of sign-stealing, or at least alleged sign-stealing, took place on Monday in a game between the Yankees and Orioles, After the final out of the game was made, Andino yelled at Yankees catcher Russell Martin as the victorious Yankees made their way down the handshake line at midfield, as seen in the video here. He was evidently egged on by Martin, who had something to say to Andino after he believed he was tipping the location of Mariano Rivera's pitches in the final inning.  Allegations like this from Martin are nothing new, but more on that later."

Starting threads

What memorable thread or post (besides this one, of course) have you ever contributed to SoxTalk?

As Southsider2k5 always says, if you are made so miserable by the White Sox (or someone’s posts or posting style, for that matter), that’s why there is an ignore feature embedded at the site.

If you think you’re getting under anyone’s skin....well you should realize most people thrive on criticism, starting with a certain someone in Washington, D.C.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am looking forward to a leap from Yoan, a much improved bullpen, as well as what our MiLB hitter do this year. Specifically I want too see what the OF glut and the middle infielders at the lower levels do.

This team will need offense to cover up their other mistakes. Yoan and TA could really help.  

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

What memorable thread or post (besides this one, of course) have you ever contributed to SoxTalk?

As Southsider2k5 always says, if you are made so miserable by the White Sox (or someone’s posts or posting style, for that matter), that’s why there is an ignore feature embedded at the site.

If you think you’re getting under anyone’s skin....well you should realize most people thrive on criticism, starting with a certain someone in Washington, D.C.

Easy tiger.  Just messing with you.  Don’t go whipping out your net worth on me 😆

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Easy tiger.  Just messing with you.  Don’t go whipping out your net worth on me 😆

Don't worry, I won't waste it on Sox season tickets, like I dreamed of doing when I was about 8 or 9...and was under the mistaken youthful illusion that going to 81 major league games per season would be the most amazing thing in the world.  And it really was, even back in the 1980's, despite how bad that decade was (outside of 1983).

Like Chicago White Sox (the poster, moving to Nashville), I'll relocate (eventually) from China to San Antonio/Austin area (maybe San Marcos or New Braunfels) and get at least a half season plan for the San Antonio Missions.

Actually, the first thing I want to do is a 122 day cruise around the world...and see Alaska/Antarctica in the summertime.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I like how this was edited to add more shots, lol.

• Like 1