Optimistic Fan Thread

DurhamStance

18 minutes ago, The Sir said:

25 posts and Eloy has been mentioned twice, and never by himself? Both times he was mentioned in a list with other far less exciting players. Weird.

Because it's "already baked in" that he has to be an absolute stud in order this rebuild to have any semblance of a chance of working out successfully.

Just my opinion, but Moncada is just waaay too fucking talented to completely suck forever. I don't know if this year is the year he figures it out, but if not this season certainly next year. I could see him eventually having seasons like Jose Ramirez's 2018 regularly. Yes, he's that talented. Yes, there is swing and miss in his game. When he puts bat on ball, ball go very far. 

I kind of want to just simulate this season and see who is panning out.  This is a pretty big year for a lot of the farm kids + Yoan/Lopez/Gio/TA/Fulmer.  It's going to be a lot of shitty baseball but as long as our "key" young guys are improving the season could still be a success.  

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just my opinion, but Moncada is just waaay too fucking talented to completely suck forever. I don't know if this year is the year he figures it out, but if not this season certainly next year. I could see him eventually having seasons like Jose Ramirez's 2018 regularly. Yes, he's that talented. Yes, there is swing and miss in his game. When he puts bat on ball, ball go very far. 

I don’t think Moncada “completely sucks” but I don’t think he gets much better. Lots of walks, lots of Ks, low slash numbers, the end.

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I don’t think Moncada “completely sucks” but I don’t think he gets much better. Lots of walks, lots of Ks, low slash numbers, the end.

I don't understand how you could reasonably think this. He's 23. I mean, you could be right, but I think there are way too many guys coming up and being studly right away that it has warped the majority of baseball fans expectations. There is no way in hell that "he is what he is" already. No way in hell. How much better he gets is up for question but I think he will get significantly better. 

I don't know if you follow hockey, but before Dylan Strome got traded to the Blackhawks, he was widely considered a massive disappointment. Now he's viewed as a future building block for them. The same type of people who wrote off Strome are the same people who are writing off Moncada. 

EVERYTHING I read about Moncada when the Sox gave him the call up said it was going to take a season or two for him to figure it out, but when it all clicks it will be spectacular. Patience, young Padowan. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Moncada should be the 900+ OPS hitter he was around April 23rd last year in the "optimistic" thread...right?

If you read the fangraphs prospect report on him in 2017 when he got called up you should have been prepared for growing pains. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2017-top-100-prospects/

Note the difference between the PV and FV on his hit and game power tools. That indicates the ensuing growing pains. Don't give up on him too soon. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Beer, brats n onions and a whole lot of Eloy. What else is better?

Also...the idea of having an incredible third baseman could be absolutely vital to this rebuild. He has the power. He has the bat speed. He has the defensive instincts. He puts it all together, madrigal hits and the sting of Macho man is gone. 

Consider me overly optimistic as well, but I think at least one of the MiLB kids goes crazy this year and jumps through the system and rankings. 

Rodon finally stays healthy.

And in case it all fails...more Beer.

23 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Beer, brats n onions and a whole lot of Eloy. What else is better?

Also...the idea of having an incredible third baseman could be absolutely vital to this rebuild. He has the power. He has the bat speed. He has the defensive instincts. He puts it all together, madrigal hits and the sting of Macho man is gone. 

Consider me overly optimistic as well, but I think at least one of the MiLB kids goes crazy this year and jumps through the system and rankings. 

Rodon finally stays healthy.

And in case it all fails...more Beer.

Seth trade?

I am huge Moncada stan. I think he can become something great. I also think the Sox have the best uniforms (black and white and 83) in the league.  I have a gut feeling that Rodon will be injury free this year and we can finally see what we have in him. My optimistic prediction is that the Sox finish 2nd in the Central and have a better record than the Padres :).

Edited by Orlando

That giveaway sweatshirt Steve Stone was sporting during last night's broadcast looked quality...yes I did watch much more of a preseason game than I probably should have...I did enjoy seeing Leury Garcia run all the way from Center to catch a ball in Left right in front of Rondon (it reminded me of the guy in the original Bad News Bears that would catch everything in the outfield)

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

That giveaway sweatshirt Steve Stone was sporting during last night's broadcast looked quality...yes I did watch much more of a preseason game than I probably should have...I did enjoy seeing Leury Garcia run all the way from Center to catch a ball in Left right in front of Rondon (it reminded me of the guy in the original Bad News Bears that would catch everything in the outfield)

I might go to that game. I could use a new hoodie. And if I can get $7 tickets, even better.

• Like 1

I've been a Sox fan for nearly 50 years.  For so many of the years the spring optimism went like..."what if Pat Kelly can hit .300 and steal 50 bases...what if Eric Soderholm develops into Mike Schmidt, what if Chet Lemon....It was stupid optimism over stupid players that were never very highly touted or likely to be stars.   But it's what we had and we hoped.  But now?   Saying Madrigal could be Rod Carew is not crazy...saying Robert could be Ken Griffey, JR, Saying Eloy could be Albert Pujols, that Moncado could be Robinson Cano, Vaughan could be Frank Thomas...Cease, Rodon and Kopeck could be three of the best ten pitchers in baseball.   None of that is impossible...and then there are the Lopez, Tim Anderson, Nick Collins, Giolito, Dunning, Hansen, Adolfo, Rutherford,  Burger, Burdi, Basabe...all could be very good players.   In the past the dream was like the 2005 dream...everything falls in place and you you win once.  But today's dream is...everything falls into place and you have a dynasty.  

• Like 2

Only my second season so it doesn't hurt me , I'm hoping for camaraderie in the team , people playing with smiles , lose ok but lose when the team aren't pals and there is discord well that festers and the club becomes not a nice place to be for all .

I'm an optimist , never look on the dark side , it's going to be a great season :gosox1:

Jose Ruiz is going to be the next Sox closer...if Cooper can work on his offspeed stuff.

Consistently 97-99, two years removed from catching, we don’t even need a Burdi or Hamilton (Which makes Burdi pick look dumber by the day).

Lots of similarities with Sergio Santos.    If Nate Jones can get straightened out, Hamilton’s shoulder heals and Burdi gets back to 100%, that’s just a nasty pen.  Burr has looked much more confident this spring as well, fwiw.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:01 PM, The Sir said:

25 posts and Eloy has been mentioned twice, and never by himself? Both times he was mentioned in a list with other far less exciting players. Weird.

I'm more nervous about him than excited tbh. He HAS to be good