3/19 vs Reds, 8pm, NBCSC

flavum

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Of course I realize that. Not trying to complain too much, but I still think missing bats is an important skill. If Mark Buehrle came up today I don't think he'd have a shot. Hitters league wide are too patient. He always used to struggle against the A's, Red Sox, Yankees and other teams built on taking walks and making pitchers work. 

The most important skill is fooling hitters and location which of course helps with missing bats , The best pitchers are usually high K guys but  causing weak contact is more efficient and almost just as good.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah. Banuelos was missing bats until his last start. He didn't miss any during that one. That is concerning. That is the one thing I look at in ST for pitchers. Do they miss bats and get Ks? 

This is very important, but isn't always 100% fool proof. We don't know the intricacies of what each one of these guys are doing as they prepare for the season. I recall a few Buehrle outings in ST where he literally threw nothing but fastballs just so he could get a good feel for the pitch, and he got hammered. For all we know, Lopez was told by Cooper to initiate contact in this start. Guys are still in preparation mode for the season. Positive takeaways from this start is Lopez is healthy, appears to be fully stretched out for the season, and left the Sox in position to win.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is very important, but isn't always 100% fool proof. We don't know the intricacies of what each one of these guys are doing as they prepare for the season. I recall a few Buehrle outings in ST where he literally threw nothing but fastballs just so he could get a good feel for the pitch, and he got hammered. For all we know, Lopez was told by Cooper to initiate contact in this start. Guys are still in preparation mode for the season. Positive takeaways from this start is Lopez is healthy, appears to be fully stretched out for the season, and left the Sox in position to win.

No arguments here. Nice post. 

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

At one point late, they were talking about him throwing 5 changes in a row, which would never happen during the regular season.  He was obviously working on stuff.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

No arguments here. Nice post. 

Thanks, just wanted to throw this in here there too but you responded already:

“The plan for today’s game was to be more effective with my pitches,” Banuelos said. “The last few outings I have been striking out a lot of guys, but I waste a lot of pitches. Today was about being effective with my pitches, and trying to get quick outs and execute.”

Full article here: Link

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait, do you think Lopez not striking out anyone is sustainable?

No that isn't what I meant. I meant giving up zero runs through 5 innings while only striking out one batter is an unsustainable amount of run prevention for the amount of contact given up by the pitcher. You're having problems understanding my posts lately. Idk if it is me not communicating effectively or if you're having trouble comprehending my writing style. Either way there is some disconnect here. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

No that isn't what I meant. I meant giving up zero runs through 5 innings while only striking out one batter is an unsustainable amount of run prevention for the amount of contact given up by the pitcher. You're having problems understanding my posts lately. Idk if it is me not communicating effectively or if you're having trouble comprehending my writing style. 

Sure. But why waste time stressing about something that isn't going to happen?

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What's the point of spring training gamethreads then? While I generally agree with your practicality about sports being entertainment, I think for most of us on this site it is just a wee bit more than that. A lot of us dedicate a lot of our free time to follow this team. That time investment has to mean something, right? Obviously we don't have control over what happens on the field or what the FO does, but....there are times it goes further than simply being mildly annoying. 

I agree with you on the being miserable just to be miserable thing. It's ok to be pissed for a week or two when the FO lies to the fanbase like they did. It has blown over, and I've moved on. It's like when someone rear ends you. It's frustrating, it costs you a lot of time and you're in a grouchy mood for a while, but it doesn't really affect your wallet because the other guy's insurance covers it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What's the point of spring training gamethreads then? While I generally agree with your practicality about sports being entertainment, I think for most of us on this site it is just a wee bit more than that. A lot of us dedicate a lot of our free time to follow this team. That time investment has to mean something, right? Obviously we don't have control over what happens on the field or what the FO does, but....there are times it goes further than simply being mildly annoying. 

I agree with you on the being miserable just to be miserable thing. It's ok to be pissed when the FO lies to the fanbase like they did. It has blown over, and I've moved on. 

Lopez pitched this like a practice game. He isn't going to throw the same style when the games count. There is no need to worry about it. It is about getting in work, not how many Ks he gets in 5 innings.

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Parkman is correct that it's ultimately a problem though. Of course it's spring training and the results don't matter. That part is fine. Reynaldo Lopez averaged 7K/9 last year though. That's not going to get it done. 

44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Parkman is correct that it's ultimately a problem though. Of course it's spring training and the results don't matter. That part is fine. Reynaldo Lopez averaged 7K/9 last year though. That's not going to get it done. 

He's also gotten better every year he's pitched in the Majors.  Lopez is one of my least concerns. 

• Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic