Kimbrel in discussions with Brewers

EvilJester99

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That would be a great place for him to land.

It will be interesting to see what he gets when he does sign. I am sure the 6 year request is gone at this late stage. Since Boston didn't find his replacement, I though they might jump back in but they must think they have an internal option.  Might be a bad gamble. 

6 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

It will be interesting to see what he gets when he does sign. I am sure the 6 year request is gone at this late stage. Since Boston didn't find his replacement, I though they might jump back in but they must think they have an internal option.  Might be a bad gamble. 

The Red Sox have three younger flamethrowers they’re very confident in...at any rate, we shall see when the rubber meets the road how justified that confidence will have been.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Ok, you have the choice to trade for the Brewers front office or the Brewers owner...which do you choose?

Front office. Stearns could work under JRs constraints without being naive about them.

2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Boston is up against the hard upper part of the luxury tax where they start losing draft picks and have to pay like a 50% overage penalty or something remarkable like that, they almost have to let him go unless they cut payroll elsewhere. 

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Boston is up against the hard upper part of the luxury tax where they start losing draft picks and have to pay like a 50% overage penalty or something remarkable like that, they almost have to let him go unless they cut payroll elsewhere. 

Man their payroll is worse than I realized. You have to imagine they will be able to offload some of Price's deal after this year, and maybe they hope that JD martinez opts out at this point. Yeesh.

edit: obviously they won a world series so this isn't heartbreaking but when looking specifically at how they keep their core it does look difficult.

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man their payroll is worse than I realized. You have to imagine they will be able to offload some of Price's deal after this year, and maybe they hope that JD martinez opts out at this point. Yeesh.

edit: obviously they won a world series so this isn't heartbreaking but when looking specifically at how they keep their core it does look difficult.

Yeah, this is a problem but how they got here isn't bad. They built their team well, it got too expensive so now they need to retool. The Red Sox are easily capable of doing this so I don't think they're too worried.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The Red Sox have three younger flamethrowers they’re very confident in...at any rate, we shall see when the rubber meets the road how justified that confidence will have been.

Agree but flamethrowers do not always translate into closers. Nate Jones has been a very good 8th inning guy but his closing efforts are very shaky.  Closing by committee is always an adventure so I think that could be their achilles heel this year. Unless they grab someone at trade deadline. 

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

If the Brewers do this, I will sadly be more interested in the Brewers than the White Sox.

Weeks ago I said I would be taking in a few of the Brewers games this summer. Sure a lot easier to get to from the NW suburbs, than trying to drive to the southside. I might even make a Machado sighting!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bmags said:

Which is why I’ve been saying all offseason that if JDM opts out, I don’t see Boston bringing him back so now you’re down to 14 other potential suitors outside the White Sox (and actually far less than that after you rule out teams that have already filled the DH slot and a handful of teams that will simply be unable to spend that kind of money at the position - Rays, A’s, Royals, etc)

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Which is why I’ve been saying all offseason that if JDM opts out, I don’t see Boston bringing him back so now you’re down to 14 other potential suitors outside the White Sox (and actually far less than that after you rule out teams that have already filled the DH slot and a handful of teams that will simply be unable to spend that kind of money at the position - Rays, A’s, Royals, etc)

Which makes a strong case for JDM staying in his contract. 

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not if he has another 165 wRC+ season. He’ll get more than $65M on the open market.

Even if he does, that's tough to be sure of. If the Red Sox are out, there are other DH options on the market including Khris Davis who is the same age...with only a handful of teams needing DHs and a number of teams like Oakland, etc., automatically out, I think it's entirely possible his market falls even flatter than after 2017.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Even if he does, that's tough to be sure of. If the Red Sox are out, there are other DH options on the market including Khris Davis who is the same age...with only a handful of teams needing DHs and a number of teams like Oakland, etc., automatically out, I think it's entirely possible his market falls even flatter than after 2017.

Yet somehow they’re spending $5+ million for a 16 year old Dominican...at any rate, it’s pretty crazy to think probably only 2-3% of baseball fans realize he led the majors in taters last year.