Sox vs. Arizona March 20th 2019

Insp

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think Mendick makes Yolmer and Rondon expendable later in the year. He seems like a guy who will have a solid bench role in the Sox future.

I hope you're right....and that if they end up expending Yolmer they finally get something, at least some ceiling, for one of these guys.

Dopico looked good. Relief pitchers can come from anywhere.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'm not saying he'll make the team out of ST. He shouldn't. But he's been impressive this spring. He could be a guy that allows the Sox to move on from Rondon or Yolmer. I don't think he's every going to be starter material. I view him as a solid future infielder off the bench.

Wish there could be roster room for Mendick Rondon and Yolmer but those days are gone. Some teams would prefer to have a new pitcher for every batter past the fifth inning. I guess teams cannot afford a few extra bench players. Tough times are why I don't worry about owners v players. They can figure it out when we hear that Trout's deal was a bargain. 

I was a huge Giolito fan last year. The  strong Sept. in 2017, a great spring in 2018. And even with his struggles early in last year, I believed in him. Then he had the really good late July and August. But wow, he has fallen off a cliff. September was TERRIBLE. This spring he is TERRIBLE. Remind me if I'm wrong, but he has not gotten through his first two inning of any pitching appearance of this spring without giving up, at least, three runs. Isn't that correct??  I know it's spring ball, but really, zero appearnces where he hasn't given up at least three runs in his first two innings pitched?  Wow, that is bad!

If Banuelos is looking solid in AAA, we cannot waste a year on Giolito in 2019. If he is close to as bad as last year by July, we need to make room for Banuelos. 

Now, if no one is looking good enough to bring up by then, I guess we keep putting Giolito out there, and hope for improvement. 

But I am really starting to believe that you can't fix head case. 

14 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I was a huge Giolito fan last year. The  strong Sept. in 2017, a great spring in 2018. And even with his struggles early in last year, I believed in him. Then he had the really good late July and August. But wow, he has fallen off a cliff. September was TERRIBLE. This spring he is TERRIBLE. Remind me if I'm wrong, but he has not gotten through his first two inning of any pitching appearance of this spring without giving up, at least, three runs. Isn't that correct??  I know it's spring ball, but really, zero appearnces where he hasn't given up at least three runs in his first two innings pitched?  Wow, that is bad!

If Banuelos is looking solid in AAA, we cannot waste a year on Giolito in 2019. If he is close to as bad as last year by July, we need to make room for Banuelos. 

Now, if no one is looking good enough to bring up by then, I guess we keep putting Giolito out there, and hope for improvement. 

But I am really starting to believe that you can't fix head case. 

If we were living in 2011-12, Banuelos would be a great choice...but fine, nothing’s worse than an actually likeable HarvardWestlake kid who can’t get out of his own head.  

He’s the pitching version of Beckham/Quentin overthinking things.  Paulie’s the only one to wrestle with himself like that psychologically and emerge whole at the end.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Once again, these comps are awful. Floyd and Garland were light years better than Giolito. 

Unless you look at Floyd’s numbers in Philly and his draft position.

Garland, would agree...no similarity.   Heck, Danny Wright might be closer as a comp.  or Rauch.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, Insp said:

The Sox now have the worst record in Spring Training owing to Hahn's failure to even consider free agent acquisitions outside of a half-hearted pursuit of Machado.  If the team is to turn things around and then bring that momentum into the regular season, it needs to start now.

Boston ain’t to good either 

4 minutes ago, daggins said:

Yeah, Rauch is who I was thinking of. Tall guy, inconsistent mechanics, former top prospect as a starter. Rauch was able to become a decent reliever, but I think that ship has sailed for Lucas.

He didn’t win 25 games in his first season so he must be a bust 

9 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

He didn’t win 25 games in his first season so he must be a bust 

He'll be 25 this year and he was the one of, if not the, worst qualified starters in baseball last year.

Edited by daggins

47 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Once again, these comps are awful. Floyd and Garland were light years better than Giolito. 

Fact. Gio did have a dynamite arm, back with the nats. His stuff is mediocre now

Giolito is starting to remind me of Felipe Paulino. Looks the part stuff wise, until you see how hitters just tee off on the guy. By any normal metric he should be an excellent pitcher(velocity, breaking ball movement) even without great command. He just doesn't fool hitters. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Insp said:

Great job of pitching this game, especially from Giolito.  No wonder we don't need Dallas Keuchel.

Keuchel would be every bit as bad as Giolito, if not worse. Hard pass. I'd give the starts to Giolito 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Keuchel sucks. He has all of the same red flags that Shields did before he went off the deep end. I'd be shocked if Keuchel signed more than a 1 year contract.

If the Sox signed Keuchel to a 4/60 tomorrow by August you'd be b****ing about how stupid they are for signing Keuchel when his ERA is north of 6 and his pitches are flying out of GRF.

Starting Giolito accomplishes MUCH more for the Sox than wasting money on Keuchel, even if all Giolito does is prove he can't pitch at the MLB level. At least they wouldn't waste anymore time on him. Adding Keuchel accomplishes nothing, and is actually counterproductive to what the Sox are doing. 

I couldn't give two shits about veterans contributing to wins in 2019. If they win, it better be because of Moncada/Eloy/Anderson and Rodon/Lopez/Giolito. 

If they win games because of Abreu/Alonso/Jay they better be shipped out PDQ, because that is also counterproductive. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

34 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Keuchel would be every bit as bad as Giolito, if not worse. Hard pass. I'd give the starts to Giolito 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Keuchel sucks. He has all of the same red flags that Shields did before he went off the deep end. I'd be shocked if Keuchel signed more than a 1 year contract.

If the Sox signed Keuchel to a 4/60 tomorrow by August you'd be b****ing about how stupid they are for signing Keuchel when his ERA is north of 6 and his pitches are flying out of GRF.

Starting Giolito accomplishes MUCH more for the Sox than wasting money on Keuchel, even if all Giolito does is prove he can't pitch at the MLB level. At least they wouldn't waste anymore time on him. Adding Keuchel accomplishes nothing, and is actually counterproductive to what the Sox are doing. 

I couldn't give two shits about veterans contributing to wins in 2019. If they win, it better be because of Moncada/Eloy/Anderson and Rodon/Lopez/Giolito. 

If they win games because of Abreu/Alonso/Jay they better be shipped out PDQ, because that is also counterproductive. 

That's TOO much of a hot take.  Pitchers pitch.  Buehrle, Quintana, even Shields last year.  So, no, he wouldn't be the worst qualified starting pitcher in baseball, not by a long-shot.  Worth $12-15 million per year, or even $18, no way, at least not to the White Sox...

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's TOO much of a hot take.  Pitchers pitch.  Buehrle, Quintana, even Shields last year.  So, no, he wouldn't be the worst qualified starting pitcher in baseball, not by a long-shot.  Worth $12-15 million per year, or even $18, no way, at least not to the White Sox...

I disagree, and apparently it seems GMs are more in line with my thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if he is given anything but a minor league contract this year, if anything at all. He may have thrown his last pitch in MLB. Not to mention the dude is always injured. 

Edited by Jack Parkman