Will Nick "The Little Magician" Madrigal be called up this year?

ron883

Will Nick "The Magician" Madrigal get called up this year?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Will he get called up?

• Yes, and it will be rushed
    • Yes, but he will have deserved it
    • No

The Sox have been known to rush their 1st round picks. Rodon, Fulmer. Nick might be the most polished player in the last draft. Will he be rushed up this year? IMO, the Sox will do it. They've done this plenty of times before..

Edited by ron883

18 minutes ago, flavum said:

Nah

Anderson played a full year in Birmingham at 22, then was up in June the following year. 

I could see something like that. 

Definitely no MLB time this year.

What's the reason to move Yoan to 3rd base already then? Terrible decision IMO. His potential is way higher at 2nd. 

Edited by ron883

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe?

Depends if they trade Yolmer/Leury at the deadline...and obviously performance at BIRM.

Mendick really has nothing to do with this decision, or, if he does, this franchise is in worse shape than we imagined.

In my opinion, Mendick is a better hitter than Leury and Sanchez combined.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

In my opinion, Mendick is a better hitter than Leury and Sanchez combined.

No, no, and HELL no.

He's projected at something like 76 or 80 wrc+, Zips gives him a 1.2 war projection.

Leury and Yolmer have already put up big league seasons much better than that, especially 2017.

.253 .336 .380

.716  (that's his entire MILB slash line)      Wilson Betemit and Ryan Sweeney will ask for their ST MVP Trophies back!!!

FG Prospects Report

Team Rank: 26Overall Rank: NAReported: 2018 - UpdatedETA: 2019  

Hit GamePower   RawPower  Speed Field  Throws       Future Value
45 / 55      20 / 30        40 / 40  45 / 45    45 / 50     50 / 50                  40
Edited by caulfield12

Ok I'm talking about hitting only, and Sanchez had better numbers than I thought since he has many doubles and triples. Mendick however is a better pure hitter than both Yolmer and Garcia.  His k to walk is better, can hit for some pop, and is shining this spring.  He can have the way for Madrigal.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Ok I'm talking about hitting only, and Sanchez had better numbers than I thought since he has many doubles and triples. Mendick however is a better pure hitter than both Yolmer and Garcia.  His k to walk is better, can hit for some pop, and is shining this spring.  He can have the way for Madrigal.

A .714 CAREER minor league hitter is not going to project to be better than any player who has been an MLB regular, unless he's a defensive whiz at SS, C or CF.

http://southside.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2018/06/05/the-benefits-of-drafting-nick-madrigal/

Logically, there's no reason to bring him up this year and lose any control....but that's never stopped the Sox before.  The only rationale for rushing him would be an ill-fated attempt to compete this season, but that's just not going to happen.

Edited by caulfield12

I  was trying to think of a short  major league player that Madrigal reminds me of in order to get some idea what his potential as a hitter might be, including his potential to hit for power.  I could not think of any current or former mlb player that  had/has his  short/wide body and looked like Madrigal  swinging the bat.   Pedroia and  Altuve just look a lot different and have different swings.

Long story short, I was looking at some YouTube videos of Yogi Berra . I know I know,, Yogi was a catcher and a left hand hitter but in a couple of ways Madrigal reminded me of Yogi -  a short, wide, powerful body, strong hands and an effortless swing.    Yogi had tremendous core strength and powerful wrists and hands.  I'm not saying Madrigal will be a hall of famer, but I am saying that I do not doubt Madrigal's potential to hit for power.

Yogi Berra hits 2 home runs in World series

6 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Nope, not really even a legit discussion, imho. Look at what Eloy did last year and he has not been called up. No chance or reason for Madrigal to be called up this year. 

Well there was a reason for that, and it didn’t have anything to do with baseball

No.  Even if he performed well enough in the minors for us to think he deserved it, there would be no reason to call him up.  Eloy was destroying baseballs last year, and he probably deserved to come up, but he didn't.  If they're serious about Madrigal being the 2B of the future, he needs a full year of development.  No reason to rush him.