Will Nick "The Little Magician" Madrigal be called up this year?

ron883

Will Nick "The Magician" Madrigal get called up this year?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Will he get called up?

• Yes, and it will be rushed
    • Yes, but he will have deserved it
    • No

46 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This thread will be good bump material when I'm right about him coming up next year. This is a total Sox move. The Little Magician will be up next year.

What’s wrong with pulling up “the most polished college bat” 2 years after drafting him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Rushing players to the majors. That is a White Sox staple. 

That wouldn’t really be much of a rush is my point. 2 years should be plenty of time for a guy who was drafted out of college with the hit tool/glove he has. 

Unless by next year you mean the year that starts in a week

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

That wouldn’t really be much of a rush is my point. 2 years should be plenty of time for a guy who was drafted out of college with the hit tool/glove he has. 

Unless by next year you mean the year that starts in a week

My bad, I meant this upcoming season.

Let's just give him a year. Sure nobody saw zero power coming  but he had a long season and a wrist injury.

It is not unusual that college players are a bit down the first year and then take off the second year.

Bregman hit 4 homers his first year and then 20+ the second.

Sure madrigal doesn't have that much power but I wouldn't be suprised if madrigal hit .300 with 13 homers this year.

Sure if he hits 4 homers this year it would be a  concern but let's give him this year before making a judgement.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 11:30 AM, ChiSox59 said:

I voted yes and he deserved it. I think he rakes this season and makes the Sox have to make a decision. But ultimately I think the Sox keep him down until May 2020, and I am fine with that. 

Not a bad take.

People scoffed at the question. Nicky is destroying AA though. He could be major league ready now TBH

Home runs have never been part of this kids game, so I wouldn’t worry too much about how many he hits this yearI am sure the Sox will work on getting him stronger, and eventually he will reach the seats enough to shut up the doubters. That said, he and Robert started in A ball this year. And going by recent history, if Madrigal gets another promotion this year, it will be to AAA. I would say if that happens, let them finish out the season there, and see them in spring training. 4 levels in one season is a bit much, and with Roberts history of injury, you probably would be playing with fire having play an extra month after really hardly any playing for 2 or 3 years.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, NorthSideSox72 said:

That nickname should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Also I'd guess he comes up in 2020.

Looking for confirmation that these nicknames were indeed dragged out into the street and shot.  Anybody see it go down?

18 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Looking for confirmation that these nicknames were indeed dragged out into the street and shot.  Anybody see it go down?

It's still going strong. I'm going to ask Nick in person at an autograph signing and get picture proof

On 3/21/2019 at 10:02 PM, ron883 said:

Rushing players to the majors. That is a White Sox staple. 

Yes it used to be and now they've gone too far in the other direction. Overcorrection. It is fairly obvious to me that Robert and Madrigal could be up after the ASB and be fine. I was OK with them taking their time when the 1st wave wasn't established. Now that they are, the priority has shifted to window maximization. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes it used to be and now they've gone too far in the other direction. Overcorrection. It is fairly obvious to me that Robert and Madrigal could be up after the ASB and be fine. I was OK with them taking their time when the 1st wave wasn't established. Now that they are, the priority has shifted to window maximization. 

I think this is a bit of an overreaction when it comes to Robert and Madrigal.  Robert only has 571 minor league at bats due to injuries.  Madrigal only has 443.

24 minutes ago, tray said:

I doesnb't matter how many minor league at bats a minor league player has..it just doesn't.

And it doesn't matter if Madrigal hits home runs.  That is not his game.  

It shows that they haven’t had that much minor league experience.  Robert missed a lot with injuries.  All players are different and need different seasoning but Tim Anderson had 1372 minor league at bats and some people think he was rushed.

And why does not hitting homers matter?  With the juiced ball, I expect most guys in a lineup to be able to hit a few these days.  Little guys can hit homers too (see Altuve).

Edited by Moan4Yoan

28 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And why does not hitting homers matter?  With the juiced ball, I expect most guys in a lineup to be able to hit a few these days.  Little guys can hit homers too (see Altuve).

Until the advanced stat likers tell me otherwise, I consider home runs crucial! And it's OK to either hit a home run or strike out. That's the new rage by gosh ... until someday it isn't again.

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea I'm sure he just loves having "LIttle" in any nickname to further emphasize his stature instead of being just a ballplayer'

Well, midgets prefer to be called “little people” so I’m sure Madrigal will absolutely love this nickname.  I can’t wait until Ron asks him for his opinion in person.  Maybe Ron can also get feedback from Abreu on his nickname for him, “worthless bum.”  I will be waiting with bated breath.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Well, midgets prefer to be called “little people” so I’m sure Madrigal will absolutely love this.

Ha don't you start now. He needs to be thought of as just another ballplayer/prospect who is doing pretty well . No little and especially not midget or mouse (Minnie , Mini ,Mickey). Not even Mighty or any other thing about his height . Leave it to his team mates on what to call him maybe its Mad or Nicky, hope its not Madge .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Until the advanced stat likers tell me otherwise, I consider home runs crucial! And it's OK to either hit a home run or strike out. That's the new rage by gosh ... until someday it isn't again.

I hope this is just sarcasm and not a sign that you have gone over to the dark side.