Will Nick "The Little Magician" Madrigal be called up this year?

ron883

Will Nick "The Magician" Madrigal get called up this year?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Will he get called up?

• Yes, and it will be rushed
    • Yes, but he will have deserved it
    • No

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Forgot about that one, haha.  Great.

I'm glad Beckham lasted a long time and is set for life financially. He wasn't good but he grinded out a heckuva nice living and seemed like a nice guy when Hawk interviewed him.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm glad Beckham lasted a long time and is set for life financially. He wasn't good but he grinded out a heckuva nice living and seemed like a nice guy when Hawk interviewed him.

He's made 15 mil over his career. More than the average person sees in their lifetime, but set for life is going far. Life is expensive, especially with a family. He'll still have to figure something out. 

I agree, though - I root for Beckham. I've always liked him. When I saw he made the Tigers big league roster out of spring training, I was like "nice, he's still got a gig". To be honest, before Seattle called him up for a very brief time last season? I thought he was clean out of baseball. 

Edited by Richie

4 hours ago, Richie said:

He's made 15 mil over his career. More than the average person sees in their lifetime, but set for life is going far. Life is expensive, especially with a family. He'll still have to figure something out. 

I agree, though - I root for Beckham. I've always liked him. When I saw he made the Tigers big league roster out of spring training, I was like "nice, he's still got a gig". To be honest, before Seattle called him up for a very brief time last season? I thought he was clean out of baseball. 

He would make a great minor league coach.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They called Beckham "Bacon" because Ozzie butchers the English language with his thick Latin American accent. When Ozzie would say "Beckham" it sounded like he was saying "bacon" 

Indeed.  It wasn't manufactured.

13 hours ago, Richie said:

If you gave a 35 year old 15 million dollars he/she wouldn't have to work a day in her/his life. The mathematics tell you that. 

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If you gave a 35 year old 15 million dollars he/she wouldn't have to work a day in her/his life. The mathematics tell you that. 

Are you under the impression that they get this money in a lump sum at the end of their career or something? (rhetorical, I know you don't believe that)

Beckham received that money in pieces from several organizations over the course of 11 seasons. 

Now, take away almost half of that and give it Uncle Sam... (That good ole upper tax bracket)

Cost of living, a house, wife, kids... What do you think a 35 year old has stashed away after that? A couple mil if he's lucky?

Guy has half of a century left on this planet. Mortgages, kids he'll put through college, etc. The cost of raising a single child through age 17 is 250,000 grand these days. THEN, you're chucking up six figures more for college? This isn't even taking into account whether or not you want a nice home in a nice neighborhood, etc. Which I am sure a guy like Beckham does, as he can afford it. There's not a chance in hell he'd make it to his golden years with a penny left.

Edited by Richie

On 7/8/2019 at 12:24 PM, supernuke said:

I think we would need to consult "The Little Hurt" Craig Grebeck to determine if this is factual.

Also Madrigals walk up music needs to be Strange Magic.

My votes for the walkup are Dirty Magic, Magic Man or Magic Carpet Ride.

3 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

What about the Magical Mystery Tour? I a Beatles fan, I choose this...

Not bad either, a big Beatles fan I am as well. (said in my best yoda voice)

I think for pure walkup intensity though, I go with dirty magic.

48 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He doesn't even have to drop the obscene amount of money it costs to get a parking spot and a hotdog at the ballgame!

56 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I would think so. Of course he had to pay taxes, health care and other stuff as well as paying his agent but still like 8 mil or so of the 15 should be left.

Of course you can waste any amount of money with bad investments, expensive divorces, IRS penalties and such stuff.  But if you are smart you should be set with that money.

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

He doesn't even have to drop the obscene amount of money it costs to get a parking spot and a hotdog at the ballgame!

He could be a good will ambassador for the White Sox if coaching isn't interesting to him.  What ever his short comings fans have always liked him.

22 hours ago, Richie said:

Are you under the impression that they get this money in a lump sum at the end of their career or something? (rhetorical, I know you don't believe that)

Beckham received that money in pieces from several organizations over the course of 11 seasons. 

Now, take away almost half of that and give it Uncle Sam... (That good ole upper tax bracket)

Cost of living, a house, wife, kids... What do you think a 35 year old has stashed away after that? A couple mil if he's lucky?

Guy has half of a century left on this planet. Mortgages, kids he'll put through college, etc. The cost of raising a single child through age 17 is 250,000 grand these days. THEN, you're chucking up six figures more for college? This isn't even taking into account whether or not you want a nice home in a nice neighborhood, etc. Which I am sure a guy like Beckham does, as he can afford it. There's not a chance in hell he'd make it to his golden years with a penny left.

Are you under the impression he has all his cash stuffed under his mattress or something? (rhetorical, I know you don't believe that)

Money grows money, especially when you are young enough to invest long term.

Now if he blew it all on cars on parties that is his own fault, but he certainly had the opportunity to be set for life. 

4 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Are you under the impression he has all his cash stuffed under his mattress or something? (rhetorical, I know you don't believe that)

Money grows money, especially when you are young enough to invest long term.

Now if he blew it all on cars on parties that is his own fault, but he certainly had the opportunity to be set for life. 

It can... but the only information we have is that he made 15 million dollars over 11 years. Business ventures and financial investments also fail. Assuming that he's been a savvy business man is pretty silly. I would never argue that he doesn't have an opportunity to be set for life. You could start a business with 100 grand and be set for life off of it. However, you would never say that somebody who made 100 grand IS "set". 

Let's give you 15 mil to invest and see how easy is to "grow" more money from it. I suspect you may find out that it's a lot harder than you pawn it off as. 

15 million is not "f**k you" money. Odds are, he ain't just sitting on a beach and sipping margaritas until he croaks. 

Edited by Richie

10 minutes ago, Richie said:

It can... but the only information we have is that he made 15 million dollars over 11 years. Business ventures and financial investments also fail. Assuming that he's been a savvy business man is pretty silly. I would never argue that he had an opportunity to be set for life. You could start a business with 100 grand and be set for life off of it. However, you would never say that somebody who made 100 grand IS "set". 

Let's give you 15 mil to invest and see how easy is to "grow" more money from it. I suspect you may find out that it's a lot harder than you pawn it off as. 

15 million is not "f**k you" money. Odds are, he ain't just sitting on a beach and sipping margaritas until he croaks. 

When did this White Sox forum turn into a financial advice forum?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When did this White Sox forum turn into a financial advice forum?

When the All-Star break happened. 

Things get weird when you suddenly have no White Sox baseball. 

14 minutes ago, Richie said:

When the All-Star break happened. 

Things get weird when you suddenly have no White Sox baseball. 

Yes, because this group is so emotionally stable during the season.

• Love 1