Cubans available under new MLB agreement (and other stuff)

GenericUserName

So I was doing some searching after I saw a tweet about Yolbert Sanchez and it led me down a click-hole of cuban baseball and I found this article about the list of players that will be available to be signed under the new Cuba-MLB agreement. I'll leave the rough translation from the article and a link. Note that Yoelkis Cespedes is included in the list. Notably absent is Pedro Leon who I think may have defected because I found a video with what appears to be him training for scouting (doing 60s and getting speeds on outfield throws).

I also found a tweet and an article from one of the good reporters about a Cuban player named Patrick Merino who it looks like we might be in on. The article (though obviously biased) said he hit 16 homeruns and ran a 6.3 60 in his tryout with us and that he has at least 70 speed, plus arm, 60 hit, 55 power as an outfielder.

The idea of leading to sign him, us being mentioned with Yolbert Sanchez, us not really being connected to any other big spending in international free agency this coming J2, and all of this talent from cuba coming on the market makes me think we are going hard after some of these guys instead of the traditional 16 year olds for this coming cycle. With that in mind, I thought it was a good idea to get all these names out there for people to hopefully have something other to debate than whatever we were arguing about.

https://pelotacubanablog.com/2019/03/20/una-fuente-confidencial-dice-que-la-primera-lista-de-cubanos-disponibles-para-mlb-podria-salir-el-21-de-marzo/

A confidential source says that the first list of Cubans available for MLB could leave on March 21
By Yusseff Díaz

A confidential source from Cuba has told me that it is very likely that the Cuban Baseball Federation could stop knowing the list of players available to sign with major league teams this Thursday, March 21. These players will be between 18-24 years of age.

Of the players that was probably available, we would have Yariel Rodríguez. Rodriguez is the most polished prospect in Cuba, the right-hander has a straight that stays at 93 mph sustained. The Agramontino has the tools to be a dominant starter.

With the bat the villa Clara Norel Gonzalez has a huge power and with a Major League system to polish his swing could be a threat to pitching.

Cesar Prieto who will be the rookie of the year in Cuba and without a doubt could be a first bat for a Major League team.

The gardeners Sergio Barthelemy, Yoelquis Guibert and Yoelkis Céspedes have the talent to be players of five tools.

Yosimar Cousin is another interesting pitcher. The young Camaguey has good size and tips a fastball over 95 mph and can be developed as a starting pitcher by a major league team.

The left-hander Dariel Góngora who led Cuba in games won with 12 and Yadian Martinez who won ten games also developed very well this year and could be in the sights of Las Mayores.

There are several players like Ariel Martinez, Raidel Martinez, Oscar Luis Colas and Livan Moinelo who are hired in Japan that could be available after they finish their contracts at the Nippon circuit.

From what is in Japan, Lívan Moinelo is the most experienced of amateurs. Moinelo has professionally launched in Japan and has experience in several international events including the Caribbean Series, World Classic and Premier 12.

Raidel Martinez is a high level closer who belongs to the Dragons of Chunichi, although he did not pitch in this National Series, except two games this Caribbean Series and had a 0.00 effectiveness in the tournament. The right throws a supersonic straight that reaches 97 mph.

Ariel Martínez is the recipient of the future in Cuba and Óscar Luís Colas has been compared to Shohei Othani for his ability to throw and hit.

In the following is my list of players that could be on the list for MLB:

FCB (Amateurs)

• Javier Mirabal RHP 4-6, 4.34, 5SV,
  • Norge Carlos Vera (RHP) 2-3, 3.79
  • Pablo Guillén (RHP) 4-2,2.00,1SV, 36K
  • Arbelio Quiroz (RHP) 0-0,5.40
  • Dariel Góngora (LHP) 12-5, 112K, 3.43
  • Cesar Prieto (2B) .362, 6HR, 40CI
  • Norel González (1B / OF) .370,3HR, 23CI
  • Yariel Rodríguez (RHP) 3-2.3.10.55K
  • Yosimar Cousin (RHP) 5-11,5.84,64K's
  • Ulfrido García (LHP) 3-2,2.78,23K's
  • Sergio Barthelemy (1B / OF) .296.2HR, 20CI
  • Yoelquis Guibert (OF) .333,5HR, 33CI
  • Yoelkis Céspedes (OF) .319,7CI
  • Yadian Martínez (RHP) 10-3.79 K, 3.06
  • Alfredo Fadraga (C) .234.7HR, 22CI

Prospects in Japan:

• Raidel Martínez (RHP) 1-3,6.65
  • Ariel Martínez (C) .239,9CI
  • Óscar Luís Colas (1B / LHP) .380,1HR, 16 CI: 0-0,2.70,2K's; .212.7HR, 22CI,
  • Livan Moinelo (LHP) 5-1,4.53,57K's

• Thanks 1

• Ten of the top names available in the 2019-20 international signing market are profiled by Baseball America’s Ben Badler, all of whom have teams already unofficially attached to their services even though the market doesn’t properly open until July 2.  Dominican outfielder Jasson Dominguez and Dominican shortstop Robert Puason are projected for the highest bonuses, each expected to land something around $5MM, with Dominguez linked to the Yankees and Puason connected to the Athletics.

http://riveraveblues.com/2019/02/badler-yankees-expected-sign-top-dominican-outfield-prospect-jasson-dominguez-183932/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/cuban-shortstop-yolbert-sanchez-cleared-to-sign-with-mlb-teams.html

Cuban Yolbert SANCHEZ cleared...

Sanchez’s stats in his limited professional experience won’t wow anyone — he’s a .297/.338/.345 hitter in 435 plate appearances — but McDaniel and Longenhagen nonetheless paint him as a likely seven-figure bonus recipient due to his raw speed, glovework at shortstop and arm strength — each of which are considered by scouts to be anywhere from above average to plus. Their report notes that scouts view him as the type of prospect who’ll typically command a bonus between $2-4MM.

Certainly, that bodes well for the Orioles, who still have upwards of $6MM in their international bonus pool after whiffing on prospects Victor Victor MesaVictor Mesa Jr. and Sandy Gaston when the trio signed early in the 2018-19 offseason (the Mesa brothers with the Marlins; Gaston with the Rays).

http://baseballdecuba.com/Con-Yoenis-Yera-fuera-Yariel-Rodriguez-es-el-pitcher-favorito-para-el-titulo-de-strikeouts

There are other prospects like pitchers Osiel Rodriguez and infielder Malcom Nunez, both of whom will likely sign when the next international signing period begins on July 2; they were potential building blocks for Serie Nacional but left. Outfielder Julio Pablo Martinez, one of Cuba's rising stars, is expected to sign with a big league team when he is granted free agency. He departed the island when he was left off the roster for last year's World Baseball Classic.

Supporters of Cuban baseball point to the island's success in international tournaments in the 23-and-under category and younger. There's also the belief that outfielders Yoelqui Cespedes, younger brother of Yoenis, and Victor Victor Mesa could be the face of Cuban baseball in the future.

Additionally, there are signs that young pitchers Yariel Rodriguez, Yosimar Cousin, Yosver Zulueta, Javier Mirabel and Pablo Guillen will eventually become leaders on the mound. Infielders Norel Gonzalez, Yolbert Sanchez and Ariel Martinez could also develop into national-team stars.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cuba-boasts-rich-tradition-of-talented-players-c265869660

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found another article that mentioned the list of eligible players under 25 with a few differences (bolded).

In the recent team announced to go up in Mexico there are 14 players under the age of 25, who meet the profile of the men eligible for that first list. The 14 are, as you can imagine, the best talent on the island today. Remember also that Mexico is very close to the United States and that the scouts will be able to arrive without problems for an improvised show case. The 14 under 25 who are in the team are Alfredo Fadraga, Yunior Ibarra, César Prieto, Andrés Hernández, Yoelquis Guibert, Yoelquis Céspedes, Sergio Barthelemy, Geiser Cepeda, Yariel Rodríguez, Pablo Guillén, Yosimar Cousin, Norge Carlos Vera, Andy Rodríguez and Pedro Alvarez.

The article also says they will have a training/showcase in Mexico from April 7th to May 2nd.

From Kiley today.

12:16

So there's J2 pool eligible Cubans that, last night, MLB and Cuba announced all 34 that are eligible to be signed. There's some good ones in there, considering the talent base in Cuba is down across the board, but it's almost all of the guys with MLB potential

Clubs are still confused about how this will work. There isn't an event organized yet, but MLB is indicating they plan to have at least one event in Cuba for clubs to come down and evaluate the players

12:17

They're all pool-eligible guys that aren't 25+6 years of pro experience, so there aren't any true FAs in this group. And there aren't really any big name Cubans that would be free and clear FAs at this point.

12:18

Much of the 2019 J2 pools have been committed for months, but there's some money left and MLB wanted to let teams know that these guys were going to be out there so they would save some money for it, but it's not super clear when the events will be and all the various minor details that go along with signing the players

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-4-3-19/

Edited by DirtySox

Boops

12:42

White Sox like Cubans. How many of these names are they in on?

Kiley McDaniel

12:43

Clubs got the list yesterday and can't scout the Cuban pro leagues, so it's a bit early for that. I'm sure some clubs have liked what they've seen in int'l tourneys from some of these guys, but they keep those close to the vest and the open workouts often change how players are perceived after they get in crazy shape, etc.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Cesar Prieto anyone?

Prieto is my top available guy with Loidel Chapelli being close behind. Both of those guys have hit in every international tournament and Prieto has hit in the CNS. Cespedes is probably going to get a lot of coverage because of his name, but I think he is massively overrated when compared to Prieto.

15 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

I wonder if this is why we haven't seen the Sox linked to any J2 signings. Going all out on the Cuban market.

To me that doesn't seem likely considering this agreement probably came about after we could have been agreeing to deals, but it might be a nice coincidence especially considering it seems like the Sox like older international guys more than other teams.