Giolito/Cease

WBWSF

It looks like Giolito is going to be in the starting rotation. He doesn't deserve it but he's penciled in as of now. I can't help but wonder, if he continues to be bad how long will it be before he's no longer a member of this team? Will the White Sox call up Dylan Cease to replace him? If Cease is the talent everybody thinks he is, why not bring him up this year?

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

It looks like Giolito is going to be in the starting rotation. He doesn't deserve it but he's penciled in as of now. I can't help but wonder, if he continues to be bad how long will it be before he's no longer a member of this team? Will the White Sox call up Dylan Cease to replace him? If Cease is the talent everybody thinks he is, why not bring him up this year?

Maybe because he's never pitched more than 124 innings in a season?  As the future GM, you should probably know this stuff...

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder if we should have traded him for Machado. I was all in on a package involved Lucas to ensure we could keep Machado here long term. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think he is gonna be anything more than a journeyman. 

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

We don't know how bad he'll be. If Giolito continues to be durable and eats 190 innings at a 4.25-4.50 ERA that is still a 5th starter. I'm not expecting the light to completely come on, but, based on improved stuff I think worst case he puts up a 4.75 ERA this year and best case 3.90. People forget how many runs Renteria cost him sending him out there for an extra inning when he was obviously done. He had a bunch of 6 IP 2ER or even  starts turn into 6 IP 5 ER starts because they sent him out there for the 7th, he let in a run or two with guys on base and the shitty bullpen allowed all of his inherited runners to score. Renteria's poor management made Giolito look a lot worse than his season actually was. It wouldn't surprise me if Renteria cost him 1.5 runs on his ERA just because of poor managing. I think that Renteria cost him AT LEAST 1 full run last year, and probably closer to 1.5-1.75.If his ERA was 5.10 or even 4.95 it wouldn't look nearly as bad. There were multiple games where he gave up 1 or 0 runs thru 6 or 7 innings and Renteria threw him back out there for an extra inning, while having thrown 95+ pitches, and had way to long of a leash for him. He'd let him give up a run or two himself while leaving 2-3 runners on base and they'd all score.  You wouldn't know that if you didn't watch most of his starts though. His April and May were, in fact, bad....but the rest of the season didn't need to be as bad as it was, and RR left him out to die way too many times. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I can't help but wonder if we should have traded him for Machado. I was all in on a package involved Lucas to ensure we could keep Machado here long term. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think he is gonna be anything more than a journeyman. 

I'm confused on this part. How would that ensure we would keep him here long term when he was always going to test free agency?

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm confused on this part. How would that ensure we would keep him here long term when he was always going to test free agency?

Yeah, I'm with you. Wasn't it pretty well known that Machado was going to test free agency no matter what?

36 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, I'm with you. Wasn't it pretty well known that Machado was going to test free agency no matter what?

It kind of seems obvious now.  Trade for him last year, with the hopes he would fall in love with the experience of playing on the Chicago White Sox baseball club, and then he'd be willing to sign on the bottom line for the low ball offer that they coughed up this offseason.  Delusional then, delusional now, as we all came to see.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, default said:

Maybe because he's never pitched more than 124 innings in a season?  As the future GM, you should probably know this stuff...

Cease is going to be brought up sometime in 2019. If Giolito  keeps getting bombed and Cease does well in the minors, I would bring him up in a second.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

unless the oriole's really loved that guy, why would they give up Machado for Giolito? Giolito was already looking at a low value last offseason coming off a slow rebuilding and reworking of him, and the orioles held onto Machado until they got a really good deal for him at the trade deadline..

Let's see if Lucas can find his curve ball, in the early cold weather games. It seems like last year, he had it in the difficult dry air conditions of Arizona, but lost it in the cold weather, at the beginning of the season and never found it, again. He still seems like a work in progress. They have made yet another adjustment to his mechanics. For me, the verdict is still out, on whether, or not, he can be part of the contending rotation. 

Looking ahead to 2020, I agree with most of you and expect him to be in a battle for the 5TH spot, with Rodon, Kopech, Cease and Lopez being the top 4. Until Kopech and Cease are there, why not continue to see if Giolito can figure it out? There isn't much to lose, at this point. 

7 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I would expect Cease to arrive around the same time Kopech did last year.

Hahn said that Cease was on the Kopech plan, so this would make sense.  They will want him to get his innings, and he won't be able to grow enough innings by not getting a call up, especially if he is pitching well.

50 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

It kind of seems obvious now.  Trade for him last year, with the hopes he would fall in love with the experience of playing on the Chicago White Sox baseball club, and then he'd be willing to sign on the bottom line for the low ball offer that they coughed up this offseason.  Delusional then, delusional now, as we all came to see.  

It was obvious last year, too. He came out and said he isn't negotiating with the team that trades for him and when the time comes, no one is getting a discount. Trading major prospects for him to try to negotiate would have been a waste of time.

28 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Looking ahead to 2020, I agree with most of you and expect him to be in a battle for the 5TH spot, with Rodon, Kopech, Cease and Lopez being the top 4. Until Kopech and Cease are there, why not continue to see if Giolito can figure it out? There isn't much to lose, at this point. 

Yep. He isn't blocking anyone this year. Let the kid get 25-30 starts in another tank/developmental year. 2019 should be his last call for figuring things out though. Hopefully the Sox start caring about winning actual baseball games in 2020. 

Not sure why people are losing their mind about Giolito based on yesterday. I mean, sure his line looks rough, but I also saw a tweet yesterday that said it looked like he was going out of his way to throw more breaking stuff than normal. Seems to me that he was just doing what guys do during spring training. Working on things. They face live batters and see what works and what doesn't. His velo also seems to be much improved and closer to when he was at top prospect status. Can we at least make it TO April before we write guys off entirely?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

It was obvious last year, too. He came out and said he isn't negotiating with the team that trades for him and when the time comes, no one is getting a discount. Trading major prospects for him to try to negotiate would have been a waste of time.

Assuming the Sox traded for Machado last winter and kept him all season and then extended a QO, would it have impacted his market in any way for a team like the Padres that would have had to give up a high draft pick to sign him? It’s certainly impacted the market for lesser free agents but not sure what, if any, impact it would have had on Machado. That’s the only indirect discount I could see associated with the Sox trading for him a year ago. Perhaps the Padres don’t hit the $300M number with a draft pick attached?

21 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Assuming the Sox traded for Machado last winter and kept him all season and then extended a QO, would it have impacted his market in any way for a team like the Padres that would have had to give up a high draft pick to sign him? It’s certainly impacted the market for lesser free agents but not sure what, if any, impact it would have had on Machado. That’s the only indirect discount I could see associated with the Sox trading for him a year ago. Perhaps the Padres don’t hit the $300M number with a draft pick attached?

I would think if it was a player you thought was good enough to give $300 million, a second round pick wouldn't move the needle to no.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would think if it was a player you thought was good enough to give $300 million, a second round pick wouldn't move the needle to no.

Maybe but it seemed to impact Harper’s market. How many thought he’d get significantly less AAV than Machado heading into the offseason?