Giolito/Cease

WBWSF

47 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Maybe but it seemed to impact Harper’s market. How many thought he’d get significantly less AAV than Machado heading into the offseason?

I don't think it did at all to be honest. There just weren't enough teams willing to shell out over $300 million due to budget constraints. 

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Looking ahead to 2020, I agree with most of you and expect him to be in a battle for the 5TH spot, with Rodon, Kopech, Cease and Lopez being the top 4. Until Kopech and Cease are there, why not continue to see if Giolito can figure it out? There isn't much to lose, at this point. 

Thank you x 1000. This is my point. 

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't think we see him at all this year Needs 150-160 innings this year , then get shut down. No MLB time.

I don't think he will be able to get to 150 IP in a minor league season.  Last year Kopech got to 126 in 24 starts.  Cease got to 124 in 23 starts, so he is pretty well on the same pitching pace in terms of length of average outing.

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't think it did at all to be honest. There just weren't enough teams willing to shell out over $300 million due to budget constraints. 

But again, how many predicted going into the offseason that Harper would accept a deal with an AAV of $5M less than Machado? I’m not saying the draft pick was the only reason but I don’t think anyone here can definitively say it was a non-factor in his market.

18 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But again, how many predicted going into the offseason that Harper would accept a deal with an AAV of $5M less than Machado? I’m not saying the draft pick was the only reason but I don’t think anyone here can definitively say it was a non-factor in his market.

Total dollar amount was still $30 million more than Machado. I think they just made the deal as long as it was to keep the AAV lower for luxury tax purposes going forward. I don't think there's much factor here in the draft pick compensation.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Total dollar amount was still $30 million more than Machado. I think they just made the deal as long as it was to keep the AAV lower for luxury tax purposes going forward. I don't think there's much factor here in the draft pick compensation.

I’m not sure about that. Obviously the luxury tax threshold was a far bigger deal for most teams but some teams that might have otherwise floated a very high AAV short term deal were reluctant to do so because of the draft pick. I think the draft pick is always a factor even if it is a lesser impact on the megacontracts compared to the Grandals of the world.

42 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not sure about that. Obviously the luxury tax threshold was a far bigger deal for most teams but some teams that might have otherwise floated a very high AAV short term deal were reluctant to do so because of the draft pick. I think the draft pick is always a factor even if it is a lesser impact on the megacontracts compared to the Grandals of the world.

If you don't sign Machado because you're worried about your second pick in the draft (whatever the Padres would have surrendered), you should be fired.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If you don't sign Machado because you're worried about your second pick in the draft (whatever the Padres would have surrendered), you should be fired.

Not if you’re a team like the Yankees looking to add him on a short term high AAV contract. Again, it’s not the only factor but to completely dismiss it in the evaluation process is what should get you fired not the other way around.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not if you’re a team like the Yankees looking to add him on a short term high AAV contract. Again, it’s not the only factor but to completely dismiss it in the evaluation process is what should get you fired not the other way around.

I'll give it to you and say it's a very small factor. Draft pick or not, no other teams were shelling out the money. And he wanted the long term deal, hence, not accepting a 3/4 year 40 mill deal from Dodgers. Or Giants was it?

Edited by soxfan2014

I saw where the bad guys on the Northside just demoted Ian Happ to the minors. I'm told that Happ isn't to happy about being demoted. Obviously his team is not happy with him. The White Sox can't possibly be happy with Giolito. Why not trade Giolito to the bad guys for Happ?

58 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I saw where the bad guys on the Northside just demoted Ian Happ to the minors. I'm told that Happ isn't to happy about being demoted. Obviously his team is not happy with him. The White Sox can't possibly be happy with Giolito. Why not trade Giolito to the bad guys for Happ?

Where would Ian Happ play for the Sox long term?  I gotta say, if you don’t like Moncada’s strikeouts, you wouldn’t like Happ either.   That said, probably still has more value than Gio.