2019 MiLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who else can we expect up from the minors this year that we can get excited about besides Cease? Zavala and/or Collins?

Likely all the above (after the ASG), possibly Robert and even outside shot at Madrigal if all goes well

Outside shot at Basabe as well

Hamilton, Burdi, Vieira, Thompson, Stephens should be up soon

Personally rather see Adams or Guerrero over Banuelos too

Edited by ChiSoxJon

Via Longenhagen's daily prospect notes:

Luis Robert, CF, Chicago White Sox
Level: Hi-A   Age: 21   Org Rank: 4   FV: 55
Line: 2-for-4, HR, 2 HBP

Notes
Off to hot start, Robert has multi-hit efforts in each of his first four games and has already stolen three bases and homered three times. After watching LouBob a lot last year (first while he rehabbed multiple injuries, then in the Fall League), I grew concerned about how his bat path might limit the quality of his contact (he sometimes struggled to pull pitches he should have) or his rate of contact, which we don’t have a large-enough sample to properly assess because of his injuries. So far, the pull-side stuff hasn’t been founded, as all but two of Robert’s balls in play so far this year have been to the right side of the field, and those were both pop-ups to the second baseman. He’s one of the more physically-gifted players in pro baseball.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/daily-prospect-notes-4-8-2019/

Edited by DirtySox

So many thought that when we drafted Gavin Sheets, because of the bonus he received and word that we didn't get a HS we had targeted, that it was Chris Seise who went to the rangers.

He was out all of last year, but worth noting he has started out en fuego in the Sally. Slashing .529/.600/.882

What could have been.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

So many thought that when we drafted Gavin Sheets, because of the bonus he received and word that we didn't get a HS we had targeted, that it was Chris Seise who went to the rangers.

He was out all of last year, but worth noting he has started out en fuego in the Sally. Slashing .529/.600/.882

What could have been.

Also saw some chat say he received rave reviews in spring training also

Via Keith Law's chat today.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/04/11/klawchat-4-11-19/

Keith

1:50

What insights (if any) did seeing Luis Robert in person give you?

Keith Law

1:51

Swing is better than I expected. At bats were not. My goodness he is a large man.

Glad to hear about the swing. I believe Longenhagen had similar concerns.

Edited by DirtySox

Tim Apple

1:56

Do the early struggles of the CWS make it more likely that they will call up Cease, Madrigal, et al this summer or less likely? Stadium is empty but does control outweigh draw or vice versa?

Keith Law

1:57

Cease is a no-doubt callup, isn't he? They're going to need more starters no matter what, just with typical attrition, and what if Reynaldo Lopez's bad start is more than just SSS? Madrigal I doubt we see but I would be shocked if Cease isn't up by July 1st.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/04/11/klawchat-4-11-19/

Law also thinks we will see Cease in the distant future.

Edited by DirtySox

Sox are historically not concerned with Super 2. Cease's debut depends on three things:

1) His performance

2) The MLB roto's performance

3) The Sox capping his innings. He probably has some number in the range of 150-170 innings. Since we aren't competing it might be less important as they can shut him down whenever they want.

If he dominates his next few starts and Santana is getting shelled get him up here. Sox will have so many inexperienced guys next year with Kopech and Dunning returning, Collins and some chunk of the OF prospects. I want Cease learning up here soon. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1

Guess who is number 1 on BA's Prospect Hot Sheet?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-41519/

1. Luis Robert, OF, White Sox
Team: High Class A Winston-Salem (Carolina
Why He's Here: 475/.512/1.025 (19-for-40), 13 R, 3 2B, 2 3B, 5 HR, 15 RBIs, 1 BB, 9 SO, 3-for-4 SB

The Scoop: This is what the White Sox were waiting for, and all it took was an extended period of health. Robert is one of the most tooled-up athletes not only in his organization, but in all of the minor leagues. He wowed evaluators in the Arizona Fall League, and now is doing the same again in his return to high Class A. Catch him while you can in Winston-Salem, he shouldn’t be there very long. (JN)

Edited by DirtySox

31 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Didn't fangraphs compare him to Marcus Thames? Lul

I thought they compared his swing path to Delmon Young's, but combined with plus defensive capabilities in CF.  Either way, I thought Eric mentioned that his previous concerns about the swing are now alleviated.

45 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I thought they compared his swing path to Delmon Young's, but combined with plus defensive capabilities in CF.  Either way, I thought Eric mentioned that his previous concerns about the swing are now alleviated.

His pulling the ball was, not hit tool in general, which seems fair.

But more hilarious to me was Jim Bowdens top 200 players or something regurgitating Robert at like 95 because hit tool then having players with less power or athleticism above him.

Guy is a freak. Maybe he ends up as BJ Upton, I hope not, but he's going to be some baseball theatre when he's here.

• Heads22 locked and unpinned this topic