2019 MiLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

Some Law/White Sox stuff from today's chat.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/05/02/klawchat-5-2-19/

Matthew

2:05

SSS of course but has Alec Hansen found a home in the pen?  If he keeps the walks down, could he close?

Keith Law

2:06

Not sure about closing, but he's back on the path to the majors. I saw him here a few weeks ago - his delivery is simpler now, just very functional, not great but it helps him throw strikes.

Joe

1:58

Keith, Blake Rutherford has been bruuuutal so far.  Safe to write him off?

Keith Law

2:00

Just set him to the side. I really hate the idea of calling a player a bust, or assuming he'll never turn into anything. Look at Voit, for example. Or, less extreme, Max Kepler, who is having his first good (maybe very good?) MLB season right now (SSS) *ten years* after he signed as an amateur. Guys change, they grow and mature on their timetables, and so they can always surprise us.

Hi

Despite you being Luis Robert's Kryptonite, what are your thoughts on him? Has his performance warranted a bump up on top prospect lists?

Keith Law

I wrote him up last month (https://klaw.me/2G8670b) but I don't move players up my lists after three weeks in the minors, sorry.

Randal Grichuk

1:02

Tim Anderson is on an insane streak right now, but even though he has made some improvements, a lot of it is BABIP related. Moncada has cut his K-rate by 10% and has been awesome, but also has a high BABIP (although, with his contact profile and high exit velocity/speed, he could honestly be a .350 BABIP guy like Baez/Judge). Which of the two do you think is gonna end the season as better offensively, and do you agree that Moncada’s BABIP doesn’t need to regress *that* much due to his contact profile?

Keith Law

1:02

I'd rather bet on Anderson's long term future.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Bummer. He sure has the build of a dude who looks like he should be throwing mid 90's.

throw a bunch of baseballs at his feet and hope that he slips and lands on his shoulder just so, so that the tension creates an incredible whip lash that allows him to throw over 100.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

throw a bunch of baseballs at his feet and hope that he slips and lands on his shoulder just so, so that the tension creates an incredible whip lash that allows him to throw over 100.

This still might be preferable to standard White Sox player development.

• 2 weeks later...

Other than Robert and a couple weeks of Bush, it’s scary how bad our top hitting prospects have been performing for first 6 weeks of the season. I know it’s somewhat early, but God Dam this is dreadful. Hopefully we see some numbers change once it warms up. If it doesn’t big changes need to happen with getting rid of Getz and company. I know he’s been here a short time, but haven’t been impressed. White Sox need  to go after player development personnel from top organizations. also see what the Dodgers are doing on the medical side with keeping their players healthy and guys coming back to their top form after major injuries.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Luis Robert has won the OFFICIAL Uncle Ray's Potato Chips Player of the Month award.

And yes I had to look - it was for the Carolina League, Winston Salem performance, not for anything to do with BHam. I was moderately confused. 

Not sure where to put this but Yordan Alvarez is dominating AAA. Take a look at these video game numbers. Can anyone confirm these stats are correct?

Anyway the Houston would trade this guy for a package of Abreu & Colome? Eloy, Robert & Alvarez would make for an excellent young outfield

Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
RR (AAA) 41 154 39 61 15 0 19 57 25 33 0 .396 .483 .864 1.347

yeah. In 2016 the Astros traded decent middle reliever josh fields to the dodgers for a young wild card player in Alvarez, a 17 year old who had just signed from Cuba.

Sure, sure, sure wish we would have spent more on our soria/swarzak etc trades on plays like that and less on (no offense) the cordells and tilsons of the world.

1 hour ago, NotHahn said:

Not sure where to put this but Yordan Alvarez is dominating AAA. Take a look at these video game numbers. Can anyone confirm these stats are correct?

Anyway the Houston would trade this guy for a package of Abreu & Colome? Eloy, Robert & Alvarez would make for an excellent young outfield

Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
RR (AAA) 41 154 39 61 15 0 19 57 25 33 0 .396 .483 .864 1.347

Highly doubt it. Seth Beer is a more realistic trade target from Houston, IMO. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotHahn said:

I'd be ok with Tucker or Beer

You'd be Ok with a top 10 prospect as a return for Abreu and/or Colome?  Hah.  

Yes, I know Tucker has had a rough start to 2019.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You'd be Ok with a top 10 prospect as a return for Abreu and/or Colome?  Hah.  

Yes, I know Tucker has had a rough start to 2019.  

Beer is a top 10 prospect? I do think that Abreu and Colome would put the Astros over the top to be world series favorites if they aren't already. Astors are stacked and really all they need is a 1b.

• Heads22 locked and unpinned this topic