Thoughts on the Sox shifting Moncada to 3b?

ron883

Do you like the move to 3rd base?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Like the move?

• Yes, it is a good move
    • No, he should stay at 2nd
    • Move him to CF

Personally, I really don't like it. Yoan showed flashes of good range and potential at 2nd. His bat is also more valuable at 2nd. He can be a top 2nd baseman imo.

I also don't like the idea of switching his position for a dude who isn't even in the majors yet (Madrigal). Let Yoan focus on improving at the plate. I think this is another poor move by the goon squad that is our front office. 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Madrigal is the White Sox second baseman of the future. And it might be real soon. That being the case, the move of Moncada to 3rd base makes sense.

Madrigal hasn't proved anything in the minors yet though. You play Moncada at his natural position and where his ceiling is highest until The Little Magician forces a move. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Madrigal hasn't proved anything in the minors yet though. You play Moncada at his natural position and where his ceiling is highest until The Little Magician forces a move. 

I get the impression that Madrigal will be the White Sox 2nd baseman Opening Day 2020. Moncada might as well get use to 3rd base now. Besides, who else do the White Sox  have in there system  now who is a 3rd baseman?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I get the impression that Madrigal will be the White Sox 2nd baseman Opening Day 2020. Moncada might as well get use to 3rd base now. Besides, who else do the White Sox  have in there system  now who is a 3rd baseman?

Burger or Mendick, lol...Trey M.

Actually, Jose Rondon is the best option, along with Yolmer obviously.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

I like the move for Moncada. Chuck Garfein on his podcast said something like Moncada will hit better with his move to 3rd base because playing second base takes alot of mental work, where 3rd is more of reaction which will help Moncada concentrate more on his hitting. Playing in a men's baseball league a few years ago I can confirm that 2nd base requires alot of work and thought and it wears you out compared to 3rd base. I played both positions all season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I like the move for Moncada. Chuck Garfein on his podcast said something like Moncada will hit better with his move to 3rd base because playing second base takes alot of mental work, where 3rd is more of reaction which will help Moncada concentrate more on his hitting. Playing in a men's baseball league a few years ago I can confirm that 2nd base requires alot of work and thought and it wears you out compared to 3rd base. I played both positions all season.

Garfien is a hack who writes fluff pieces for the org. He will praise any move they make. 

• Like 1

I didn't like it when it was first done because the right move was to bring in a veteran 3b but that ship has sailed, so literally the only remaining option is to have both him and Madrigal be successful big leaguers at these positions so you pretty much have no choice. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I didn't like it when it was first done because the right move was to bring in a veteran 3b but that ship has sailed, so literally the only remaining option is to have both him and Madrigal be successful big leaguers at these positions so you pretty much have no choice. 

Or go to Yolmer/Rondon...and hope for another 2-3 fWAR season.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or go to Yolmer/Rondon...and hope for another 2-3 fWAR season.

Yolmer should go to a decent team this year when one of their IFs gets hurt or struggles, after this year he'll be too expensive for this rebuilding team to keep, and good teams still need backup infielders like Rondon. 

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yolmer should go to a decent team this year when one of their IFs gets hurt or struggles, after this year he'll be too expensive for this rebuilding team to keep, and good teams still need backup infielders like Rondon. 

I would prefer to play Rondon over Yolmer but yeah, it makes sense to showcase Yolmer. A team with a shot of contending may need a decent 2B mid-season. Also worth mentioning that he only has 2 more years of control left after this year.

Edited by soxfan2014

13 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

2B

I think his natural position is actually 3B.  That is where I beleive he played the majority of the time in Cuba.  I do believe he said last season his preferred position is 2B, but he has said recently he is totally good with playing 3B.

• Like 1

We've discussed this ad nauseam. Madrigal was the #4 pick in the draft. He is clearly part of the Sox future plans, however he does not profile anywhere, except 2ND base, where he is a potential Gold Glover. Moncada has the arm to play third, and will be fine there. Yes, Yoan would have a better chance at becoming an All Star second baseman, than third baseman, because second is a position that often features defense first, over offense. However, such considerations are not critical to building a winning team. Moncada at 3RD and Madrigal at 2ND, provides the best chance for team success. Isn't that the goal?