Jake Burger taking grounders

He's much bigger than Palka was last year...I guess all that time off his feet didn't do much for his fitness level.

Theoretically, he did lots of exercises in the training pool, but this is the body of a DH (think Matt Stairs X 2) if ever there was one.

Edited by caulfield12

It's pathetic that he can't shed that weight. It's your damn job to be in shape to play 3rd base. He tore his Achilles twice already. Youd think he'd focus on eating less cheese burgers and getting his weight down. Guess not. He won't stick at 3rd.  

This guy will never be a third baseman.  He looks too out of shape to even play first base.  Hopefully he rakes in the minors and become a quality DH.

Was Burger in much better shape when the Sox drafted him?  I’m surprised anyone would draft him that high as a 3B based on body shape alone.

Is it any surprise that this guy tore his Achilles twice?  He has a massive body/torso being supported by the calves/legs of a skinny woman.

A3237B88-04BD-4C5D-805F-DC5AC18F4E19.jpeg

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 2

I remember hearing an interview with him where he specifically mentioned nutrition as being a focus for him while going through the rehab process. Not sure what happened during that process but he certainly doesn't look like he followed through with it. I wonder if maybe this is one of the factors the Sox were exploring Moncada at 3B? It's nice to see he's at least back on the field. I can't say I really have any expectations for him this season, so hopefully his bat speaks for itself and strengthens the minor league depth. Certainly looks like a Matt Stairs clone destined for 1B/DH right now.

Pete Incaviglia or Kevin Reimer come to mind.

Hopefully he can learn to be an above average 1B so he at least has SOME positional versatility.   Just focus on hitting...and figuring out how to overhaul that T-bar or arm bar element of his swing that might not hold up when he reaches AA and starts facing 95-100 mph heat consistently.

39 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

just looks like he's training with too much body fat imo.  Gotta get disciplined if he wants to stick at 3B.  To be completely honest tho I don't see how anybody comes back in pro sports from a twice torn achilles, I really don't care how young.

Is it his plant or front foot when he's hitting or throwing...?

Here are pictures of Jake Burger in college.

MSU-Baseball-Burger.jpg

19916_0087.jpg

And here are some of his accolades...

- MVC Defensive Player of the Year (2016)

-  ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Award (2016)

-  MVC All-Defensive Team (2016)

"Baseball America and the NCBWA ... Also voted as the top defensive third baseman in all of Division I baseball with his selection to the ABCA's Rawlings Gold Glove Team ... Tabbed a first-team All-MVC pick and the league's defensive player of the year"

And then here's a blurb written last year about Burger before he tore his Achilles....for the 1st time.

"He has a strong arm, good hands, and any talks of him moving from third base are ludicrous.

I watched Jake Burger for his entire career at Missouri State — having season tickets on the third base side, with media access as well. His fielding is superb, with that rocket of an arm to go with it."

If Jake Burger can't play defense at 3B anymore, it's because he tore his Achilles twice, not because he's an odd sized 3B.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'd rather have him a little lighter but there have been some fat guys playing 3B well enough. Miguel Cabrera, Panda, Bob Horner, I think Dmitri Young even played a little 3B. They weren't exactly body builders.

But 3B with the White Sox seems like a longshot for him. They went after Machado and have Moncada. Hopefully he stays healthy and hits enough to make things interesting.

Edited by Dick Allen

Has there been any talk of when he’ll be ready for actual game action?  I’m far less concerned about his body type at the moment and more concerned about his lack of actual in-game development for a year.  It’s his bat that will carry him regardless of position and we need him to face live pitching to work the necessary adjustments.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Has there been any talk of when he’ll be ready for actual game action?  I’m far less concerned about his body type at the moment and more concerned about his lack of actual in-game development for a year.  It’s his bat that will carry him regardless of position and we need him to face live pitching to work the necessary adjustments.

June 1st-ish.

39 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Looks slimmer than when I saw him with KAN in 2017 to be honest, I think nothing of this, he's barrel chested

His legs don't look like they can support his upper half however which is concerning I guess

Anxious to see him play, hard worker

Was just about to say he looks slimmer than he did in college from what I've seen. His body is just weird looking. Very Jabari Parker-esc. Hasn't stopped him from performing. 

Edited by SoxAce

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Here are pictures of Jake Burger in college.

MSU-Baseball-Burger.jpg

19916_0087.jpg

And here are some of his accolades...

- MVC Defensive Player of the Year (2016)

-  ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Award (2016)

-  MVC All-Defensive Team (2016)

"Baseball America and the NCBWA ... Also voted as the top defensive third baseman in all of Division I baseball with his selection to the ABCA's Rawlings Gold Glove Team ... Tabbed a first-team All-MVC pick and the league's defensive player of the year"

And then here's a blurb written last year about Burger before he tore his Achilles....for the 1st time.

"He has a strong arm, good hands, and any talks of him moving from third base are ludicrous.

I watched Jake Burger for his entire career at Missouri State — having season tickets on the third base side, with media access as well. His fielding is superb, with that rocket of an arm to go with it."

If Jake Burger can't play defense at 3B anymore, it's because he tore his Achilles twice, not because he's an odd sized 3B.

OMG what's wrong with you ?? How dare you not just look at a 3 second video and declare him unfit for duty and criticize his recovery , conditioning and dedication and plan out his entire future at 1b/DH.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not to mention the dude hasn't been able to train the bottom half of his body for a year now. Losing weight without any cardio? Brutal.

Calories in, calories out. You don't need cardio to lose weight. It can be done if you are counting calories. Looks like he wasn't. 

20 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Was just about to say he looks slimmer than he did in college from what I've seen. His body is just weird looking. Very Jabari Parker-esc. Hasn't stopped him from performing. 

Can't wait to see him play, was primed to break out before the injury

19 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Jabari was at my gym during the Alll Star break and saw him with his shirt off. He isn't fat at all, but isn't exactly ripped which you would expect of an NBA player. 

Not with the NBA players around him, if you saw him in shorts and a tshirt around normal people, he wouldn't seem a little bloated at all. But for an NBA player, he obviously is. But he was working his ass off that day with a trainer.

• Thanks 1