Jake Burger taking grounders

This thread is fucking ridiculous. What a bunch of assholes. 

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Here are pictures of Jake Burger in college.

MSU-Baseball-Burger.jpg

19916_0087.jpg

And here are some of his accolades...

- MVC Defensive Player of the Year (2016)

-  ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Award (2016)

-  MVC All-Defensive Team (2016)

"Baseball America and the NCBWA ... Also voted as the top defensive third baseman in all of Division I baseball with his selection to the ABCA's Rawlings Gold Glove Team ... Tabbed a first-team All-MVC pick and the league's defensive player of the year"

And then here's a blurb written last year about Burger before he tore his Achilles....for the 1st time.

"He has a strong arm, good hands, and any talks of him moving from third base are ludicrous.

I watched Jake Burger for his entire career at Missouri State — having season tickets on the third base side, with media access as well. His fielding is superb, with that rocket of an arm to go with it."

If Jake Burger can't play defense at 3B anymore, it's because he tore his Achilles twice, not because he's an odd sized 3B.

This is right on. Burger is fine at 3B. If he doesn't play 3B in the majors, it's because of the injuries or because the Sox have a 3B already IMO. He hits enough to play 1B though. He's also a super high character kid that I wouldn't count out personally. I'm excited to see him this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually excited for him, this could be a hell of a ramp up curve, but I think too many impressions of him were formed after he was in that exhausted post-college season months in kanny/w-s.

I am not expecting or relying on him any more, but he had an interesting bat in college.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

He definitely has the build of a 1B/DH which is fine as long as he hits.  Abreu isn’t getting any younger and we will need a 1B soon enough.

For USA Slow Pitch Softball? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Calories in, calories out. You don't need cardio to lose weight. It can be done if you are counting calories. Looks like he wasn't. 

It is much harder as an athlete than that.  You are typically accustom to high calorie and high activity.  Completely changing to low calorie and no activity is not as easy as you act.

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This thread wasn't meant to trash Burger at all. I love the guy and hope he succeeds as much as he possibly can. He just looks bigger than I remembered, that's all.

Ok so I'm not going crazy. Watching that video and seeing those pics of him in college, it looks to me like he has gotten bigger.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

This guy will never be a third baseman.  He looks too out of shape to even play first base.  Hopefully he rakes in the minors and become a quality DH.

Was Burger in much better shape when the Sox drafted him?  I’m surprised anyone would draft him that high as a 3B based on body shape alone.

Is it any surprise that this guy tore his Achilles twice?  He has a massive body/torso being supported by the calves/legs of a skinny woman.

A3237B88-04BD-4C5D-805F-DC5AC18F4E19.jpeg

You do realize its nearly impossible to work out your legs with a torn Achilles right? Not to mention he tore it twice...of course there’s going to be atrophy in his lower 1/2. 

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Ok so I'm not going crazy. Watching that video and seeing those pics of him in college, it looks to me like he is bigger.

He looks about the same to me. Some thick guys are better athletes than you'd expect. Kirby Puckett, Charles Barkley etc. Let him play and judge by the results.

I get it, people are negative about everything since Machado, but do we really need to fat shame some 23 year old kid recreationally?

He doesn’t have the ideal body type for a third baseman, let’s burn him at the stake.  Not his fault we drafted him in the first round.  The personal nature of the comments in this thread are astounding.  I think you’d be banned if you said any of this to another poster. 

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I get it, people are negative about everything since Machado, but do we really need to fat shame some 23 year old kid recreationally?

He doesn’t have the ideal body type for a third baseman, let’s burn him at the stake.  Not his fault we drafted him in the first round.  The personal nature of the comments in this thread are astounding.  I think you’d be banned if you said any of this to another poster. 

God forbid we hold a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE getting paid millions accountable for being in shape. It is his freaking job. Boo hoo. 

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

God forbid we hold a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE getting paid millions accountable for being in shape. It is his freaking job. Boo hoo. 

Really? you have no idea what kind of shape he is in. Just because he looks bigger than what you think he should be means you get to say whatever you want? 

Just now, ron883 said:

Ha ha on getting paid millions.  He got a one time bonus and now makes less than the drive thru guy at the Wendy’s.  He hasn’t received a check from the Sox since Labor Day 2017.

Listen to him being interviewed about his rehab.  He worked hard.  You are turning his body type into a moral issue.  Take it up with God or his DNA or whatever.

13 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

This guy will never be a third baseman.  He looks too out of shape to even play first base.  Hopefully he rakes in the minors and become a quality DH.

Was Burger in much better shape when the Sox drafted him?  I’m surprised anyone would draft him that high as a 3B based on body shape alone.

Is it any surprise that this guy tore his Achilles twice?  He has a massive body/torso being supported by the calves/legs of a skinny woman.

A3237B88-04BD-4C5D-805F-DC5AC18F4E19.jpeg

Buddy looks like a raw Turkey leg. 

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Especially since most of the people criticizing probably look closer to Cartman in the Warcraft episode.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

You do realize its nearly impossible to work out your legs with a torn Achilles right? Not to mention he tore it twice...of course there’s going to be atrophy in his lower 1/2. 

I've never had a torn Achilles, however I would think that he could perform such leg exercises as leg extensions and maybe even leg curls. Moreover, dieting is certainly an effective way to lose weight, even without much exercise. I've been actively weight training for 60 years. I started when I was just 15, and have never quit. I've also been very careful about what I eat, for most of my life. It's difficult, but if one's livelihood depends upon it, which mine didn't, it can certainly be done. It's disappointing to see that he hasn't taken better care of his body. The extra weight can't help him, in his quest to be a Major Leaguer.

Here is a suggested protocol for rehabilitation:

https://www.stoneclinic.com/achilles-tendon-repair-rehab-protocol

Edited by Lillian

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Here are pictures of Jake Burger in college.

MSU-Baseball-Burger.jpg

19916_0087.jpg

And here are some of his accolades...

- MVC Defensive Player of the Year (2016)

-  ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Award (2016)

-  MVC All-Defensive Team (2016)

"Baseball America and the NCBWA ... Also voted as the top defensive third baseman in all of Division I baseball with his selection to the ABCA's Rawlings Gold Glove Team ... Tabbed a first-team All-MVC pick and the league's defensive player of the year"

And then here's a blurb written last year about Burger before he tore his Achilles....for the 1st time.

"He has a strong arm, good hands, and any talks of him moving from third base are ludicrous.

I watched Jake Burger for his entire career at Missouri State — having season tickets on the third base side, with media access as well. His fielding is superb, with that rocket of an arm to go with it."

If Jake Burger can't play defense at 3B anymore, it's because he tore his Achilles twice, not because he's an odd sized 3B.

You can do a lot of athletic things 30lbs overweight at age 18-21.  That doesn't make carrying that weight a good idea long term.  There is absolutely no good reason to have 20% body fat as a MLB 3B, or any position other than DH.