Jake Burger taking grounders

14 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Yeah... I agree with some of the other posters... Post-Machado, people are flipping out over everything.  He's a big dude, he was always a big dude, and he just had two lower body injuries.  What do people expect?  

Pablo Sandaval was huge and had a couple allstar seasons.  

I really don't think Pablo Sandaval is the guy you want to point towards optimistically.  He basically ate himself out of the league.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I really don't think Pablo Sandaval is the guy you want to point towards optimistically.  He basically ate himself out of the league.

Eh, we get him on the cost controlled years. It would be phenomenal to get a freaking all star out of Jake Burger.

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'll take a sig bet that takes the under on 200 career MLB games played for Burger.  Hell, I'd feel pretty confident at 50.

boy that's gloomy. He has good hands and could hit before his injury. He wouldn't be the first promising guy not to make it because

of injury though.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Well could be playing games sounds like he would be starting in AZ or something when that league starts for a few weeks before being promoted.

To me AZ league would be rehab, and "playing games" means reporting to his regularly scheduled team for the real season work.

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

I've never had a torn Achilles, however I would think that he could perform such leg exercises as leg extensions and maybe even leg curls. Moreover, dieting is certainly an effective way to lose weight, even without much exercise. I've been actively weight training for 60 years. I started when I was just 15, and have never quit. I've also been very careful about what I eat, for most of my life. It's difficult, but if one's livelihood depends upon it, which mine didn't, it can certainly be done. It's disappointing to see that he hasn't taken better care of his body. The extra weight can't help him, in his quest to be a Major Leaguer.

Here is a suggested protocol for rehabilitation:

https://www.stoneclinic.com/achilles-tendon-repair-rehab-protocol

Impossible was a poor choice of words...I’m not a doctor nor have I torn mine so not pretending to know the recovery process of an Achilles.

But I think the point still stands that he wasn’t able to do the things he normally can to build/maintain muscle in his calves and quads. The excercises listed in that article are simple things to regain full mobility in the foot/ankle....that alone is a 6 month process. Building the strength in your legs back to/beyond normal strength doesn’t happen until after that. His 2nd surgery was only like 10 months ago. Not to mention in that 1 very out of context picture he’s wearing baggy clothes...

It’s still premature to worry about his physique. I’d much rather him be slightly overweight than injured. Take it as slow as he needs to keep that Achilles in tact, getting in shape after is the easy part.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

Not here to criticize Jake's body but given all the accolades he learned in college it brings me back to last year..

Didn't someone post videos of Jake taking grounders and he looked quite sloppy doing it?

Either way, best of luck to him, if we can get anything out of him at this point would be a positive after the injuries.