Giolito thread

caulfield12

Last year's list was ... not great, Bob. American League Cy Young winner Blake Snell was my best pick, and Xander Bogaerts also did what I hoped he'd do in a healthy, full season.

I still think some of those guys are good breakout candidates for 2019 -- Max Kepler for sure, Nomar Mazara again, Byron Buxton forever, Lucas Giolito now that he's healthy and has his velocity back -- but for this column I'll stick with new names.  (behind paywall)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/26316165/keith-law-mlb-breakout-players-2019

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

He must not have seen Giolito’s last outing.  He’s bad.

Just to make sure I understand how spring training works:  If you are good, it doesn't mean anything. But if you are bad, it means you are bad. Is that accurate?

(My hopes certainly are not high for Giolito, but I just want to make sure I understand how spring training results work)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Just to make sure I understand how spring training works:  If you are good, it doesn't mean anything. But if you are bad, it means you are bad. Is that accurate?

(My hopes certainly are not high for Giolito, but I just want to make sure I understand how spring training results work)

Did you erase last season from your memory when he was one of the worst starters in baseball?  No one needs Spring Training stats to support this statement.

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Did you erase last season from your memory when he was one of the worst starters in baseball?  No one needs Spring Training stats to support this statement.

I did not erase last season, which is why I said my hopes are not high for him.  Why did you ask if Keith Law saw his last outing?

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The amount of hot takes driven off some spring training outings is pretty nuts around here.  This shit is more or less meaningless, especially for pitchers IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The amount of hot takes driven off some spring training outings is pretty nuts around here.  This shit is more or less meaningless, especially for pitchers IMO.

Exactly. And we even saw it first hand with Giolito last spring. If I recall correctly, he was pretty good last spring...then not so much during the regular season.

42 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

If you have already decided what is going to happen and this doesn't matter,  why are you wasting your time watching spring games?

32 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Hot take...  he’s bad regardless of Spring Training.  That’s not really going out on a limb.  Next step will be seeing if he can be a reliever.

Keith Law said that he still believes Giolito can have a breakout performance because his velocity has returned.  You said “has he seen his last start”.  Either that’s a hot take or you’re moving the goalposts.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Keith Law said that he still believes Giolito can have a breakout performance because his velocity has returned.  You said “has he seen his last start”.  Either that’s a hot take or you’re moving the goalposts.

His velocity returned last spring too. Giolitos problem isnt his velocity - its that hes not very good and his pitches fool no one. 

Spring doesnt matter but when you can't get anyone out last year... then you look even worse in spring... it usually doesnt bode well.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His velocity returned last spring too. Giolitos problem isnt his velocity - its that hes not very good and his pitches fool no one. 

Spring doesnt matter but when you can't get anyone out last year... then you look even worse in spring... it usually doesnt bode well.

He was really good last spring, it's just that as soon as the games counted, he wasn't. I can't explain Lucas Giolito but I definitely don't have much faith in him.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but Giolito’s last start should have nothing to do with whether you’re optimistic on him or not.  And unless his velocity was down in his last start, it shouldn’t be used an argument against what Law said.

I’m down on Giolito right now, but that’s entirely because he’s a headcase who was the worst qualified starter in baseball last year and not because of some spring training appearances that basically mean nothing.

• 2 weeks later...